Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Eagle Mountain, UT, USA
First Name
AW
Last Name
Price
Member #

Hey everyone, curious if anyone makes ice in thier fridge for adding to drinks, and if so how? I was looking a a sealed silicone container you freeze then squueze the make ice, but seeing if someone already solved this problem.
Thanks

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

I just added the Dometic 55im to my rig, which has an ‘ice maker’. It uses a rapid freeze plate to make ice, which I think is just a strategically placed copper platform within the freezer itself. You may try looking into how they are doing it and just duplicate it. I got the unit on sale and for the same price of a smaller unit, otherwise I would have never bothered getting one with an ice maker. Sort of ironic that the very purpose of a fridge is to eliminate ice...and then they added an ice maker.

Reactions: Utahrootbeer

jimmynotjim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Jimmy
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I just bought this one on sale too mostly for the size and the direction of the lid, but I was surprised at how well it made ice and how often I used it, especially when it was 100 degrees in the desert.

Reactions: Specter

Travelinjohnnie

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Washington Township, NJ 08081, USA
First Name
Bart
Last Name
Whitten
Member #

I echo the use of Dometic 55IM...just got back from a 8 day trip and the ice was a pleasant addition to the evening drink. It isn't enough to really use a lot but the little it made was just right for my use. The size of the 55 is what really sold me on this unit but the ICE for that fire sipper is a PRO.

Reactions: Specter