Does Anyone Carry an OzTent with them? If So, How?

• HTML tutorial

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

If you take an OzTent with you Overlanding how and where do you make the room for it?
If on the roof-rack how you keep the water off of it?

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

If you take an OzTent with you Overlanding how and where do you make the room for it?
If on the roof-rack how you keep the water off of it?
I've hauled an Oztent RV-5 all over the place and kept it on the tonneau cover of my trailer. The bag it's in is rugged and pretty waterproof, so it didn't seem to need more cover than it has. The other bags, for the Deluxe Front and Sidewalls, etc, are of a lighter weight, so I kept them in the cargo bed under the tonneau, in the van, or in the RTT when underway.

Don't know which Oztent you have or are considering, but the RV-5 packed size is 80"L x 15"W x 11"H, and weighs 54lb / 24kg. It's a sizable package, especially if having to move it out of the way all the time to access other gear.

You can't beat the quality, durability, and ease of use, as well as spacious comfort of an Oztent. Though in the end, because I was hauling it primarily to have as extra quarters for company and workshop students, it became cumbersome and I finally put it up for sale.

I'd love to keep it, though it's time to shed gear I don't use enough to warrant keeping. I may consider an Oztent Tagalong to hook to my big-assed trailer awning, though I'm getting into sewing my own sidewalls and panels now too, so who knows!

Which one do you have, or are you considering?

XV-2-loaded-900.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MOAK

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

Great information, Thank you...
I have an OzTent RV-5 (2-King Goanna Stretchers and a footprint, no walls - side nor front) and an RV-3.
I was thinking, like you, that the 5 would be perfect for company and I just like sleeping in my 3 from time to time.
I've got the Caravan Connector for the RV-3 but have not attached sail track to my trailer yet.

My setup is similar to yours, hard shell on top of a trailer, I've just always thought an OzTent would get soaked if not carried inside or in some type of case or WP bag.

Reactions: Road

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I have an OzTent RV-5 (2-King Goanna Stretchers and a footprint, no walls - side nor front) and an RV-3.
I was thinking, like you, that the 5 would be perfect for company and I just like sleeping in my 3 from time to time.
I've got the Caravan Connector for the RV-3 but have not attached sail track to my trailer yet.

My setup is similar to yours, hard shell on top of a trailer, I've just always thought an OzTent would get soaked if not carried inside or in some type of case or WP bag.
I'm getting ready to set mine back up next dry day to inspect before selling, and the last couple days it's been under my trailer and gotten soaked. I'll let you know how the bag did. In the past weather never seemed to bother it, though I didn't have it exposed as much as it would be if on a rack full time.

No idea how it would be in unrelenting desert sun for a full season, either, though if it holds up like the bag for my Bundutec awning, it'll hold up through anything. The older Bundutec products had much lighter-weight bags, and I wonder if Oztent changed theirs over time, too.

There are some great 303 products for cleaning and waterproofing outdoor fabric you might be interested in. One I have for prepping gear this year, but not used yet, is their 303 Fabric Guard, which looks good for outdoor bags and is said to restore water repellency to like new.

Interested to see what you come up with for hauling both Oztents.

Reactions: HeliSniper

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I have a RV3 and throw it up on the roof rack, though at 7' tall it's a PITA. I will carry it on my trailer rack when I finally get around to taking it as it is only 5' tall. I can sleep inside unless I am staying put for a while so getting it down isn't such a big deal nightly.

Attachments

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

I have a RV3 and throw it up on the roof rack, though at 7' tall it's a PITA. I will carry it on my trailer rack when I finally get around to taking it as it is only 5' tall. I can sleep inside unless I am staying put for a while so getting it down isn't such a big deal nightly.
Very nice... I like your Beef Keg Grill also....

Reactions: genocache

Erik C

Rank II

Enthusiast I

St. Paul, Minnesota
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Carlson
Member #

I have 2 RV-5s for the family which I sometimes zip to a batwing awning. It has gone to CO, UT, AR... I throw in cots on rocky terrain. The tents go on my roof rack. If I have just one it goes in the Thule cargo carrier. My experience with the bags is that they do a fine job protecting the tents from the elements. Alubox sells an oz tent box that you can bolt on a roof rack and lock. I have no regrets doing a ground tent and oz tent. One of these years I am going to stick a winnerwell stove in one to extend the season up here in Minnesota.

Attachments

Staticline40

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Fort Mill, SC, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Tebo
Member #

Service Branch
US Army Retired
I have an RV-1 and ordered a bag for it from Drifta. It took a little bit to arrive from Australia, however it's a much better bag and you can actually fit everything inside it.

OztentRV1.jpg

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I'm getting ready to set mine back up next dry day to inspect before selling, and the last couple days it's been under my trailer and gotten soaked. I'll let you know how the bag did. In the past weather never seemed to bother it, though I didn't have it exposed as much as it would be if on a rack full time.

No idea how it would be in unrelenting desert sun for a full season, either, though if it holds up like the bag for my Bundutec awning, it'll hold up through anything. The older Bundutec products had much lighter-weight bags, and I wonder if Oztent changed theirs over time, too.

There are some great 303 products for cleaning and waterproofing outdoor fabric you might be interested in. One I have for prepping gear this year, but not used yet, is their 303 Fabric Guard, which looks good for outdoor bags and is said to restore water repellency to like new.

Interested to see what you come up with for hauling both Oztents.
Just unpacked my Oztent RV-5 after it sat under my trailer for about ten days through light snow, driving rain, high wind and mud splatter. Been packed in the bag for well over a year, too, on a cold concrete floor in storage and on my tonneau cover through all sorts of weather and temps before that. I'm selling the whole kit, so wanted to inspect and clean anywhere needed, and said I'd get back to you on how it did.

No moisture migration through the bag from the wet ground or from being soaked on top, and absolutely no condensation, mildew, mold, spider nests, or other intrusion from being packed so long. Set it up, gave it a good sweep, cleaned a couple spots, and packed it back up for sale.

I was impressed, really, and expected at least a bit of condensation in the bag from recent weather or on the metal stakes in their bag, and at least some effect from long storage. But it was all finest kind; not a thing to worry about. It's a rugged bag, with sort of a ruggedized, not really rubberized inside; perhaps two layers bonded.

I did have trouble with the heavy duty zipper on the bag not wanting to work--it was stuck fast--though a bit of working back and forth and lubricating with some Gear Aid Zipper Cleaner/Lubricant had it working fine in no time.

I'm ordering more to include with the sale, and am going to try two other zipper lubricants too, for an article on maintenance of outdoor gear; Zipper Ease (wax stick) and Star-Brite Snap & Zipper Lubricant (gel that seems to be a fav among salt-water sailors). Anyone ever use any of these?

travelbag_5803-900.jpg
After more than a year in storage and travel; no condensation, mildew, or spider nests etc.

rolledup_5801-900.jpeg

Last edited:

beachdude93

Rank 0

Traveler I

PA, USA
First Name
jake
Last Name
zimmerman
how do you guys like the cots that company makes?

I have to get cots for my tent but it seems like its a crapshoot on what to buy

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

how do you guys like the cots that company makes?

I have to get cots for my tent but it seems like its a crapshoot on what to buy
I have two Oztent Gecko stretchers (cots) and think they're great. Padded, insulated, easy to set up and pack away, come in their own sturdy bags, and have been very comfortable. I'd love to keep them, but don't use a ground tent anymore and am selling the whole tent kit and accessories, cots included.

Camp cots vary a bit in width and length. It pays to be sure of available space where you're going to use them most. Some are longer and thinner, some are shorter and wider.

Be forewarned, though; Oztent US is experiencing a slowdown or something, perhaps due to covid. I ordered new poles three weeks ago today and though rec'd a confirmation, haven't heard another word, though have reached out twice in email.

beachdude93

Rank 0

Traveler I

PA, USA
First Name
jake
Last Name
zimmerman
I have two Oztent Gecko stretchers (cots) and think they're great. Padded, insulated, easy to set up and pack away, come in their own sturdy bags, and have been very comfortable. I'd love to keep them, but don't use a ground tent anymore and am selling the whole tent kit and accessories, cots included.

Camp cots vary a bit in width and length. It pays to be sure of available space where you're going to use them most. Some are longer and thinner, some are shorter and wider.

Be forewarned, though; Oztent US is experiencing a slowdown or something, perhaps due to covid. I ordered new poles three weeks ago today and though rec'd a confirmation, haven't heard another word, though have reached out twice in email.
I dont think space is an issue im likely going to get the new shiftpod 3 when it comes out. I just need GREAT cots that wont just last but will be comfy and warm. Had a bad experience with a inflatable matress and dont want a repeat of that

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
I store it on the roof rack with the zipper facing down. Helps keep the carry straps from flapping too. However, I keep a lookout for an appropriate sized cargo box.... ones designed for skis. Thule Pulse Alpine might work. For the 60 second tent, I want a less than 60 second solution to securing it to the roof!

Thule Pulse | Thule | USA

Osteology

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Dallas, TX
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Ingraham
I'm tempted to get an Oztent but the RV-4 is too long for the Tacoma bed, and would end up on the bed-rack. Has anyone used the Yakima TopWater fishing rod box to store their Oztent? looks like it would fit with room to length to spare (unless the stated packed width/height is hypothetical and never quite achievable once used).

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I'm tempted to get an Oztent but the RV-4 is too long for the Tacoma bed, and would end up on the bed-rack. Has anyone used the Yakima TopWater fishing rod box to store their Oztent? looks like it would fit with room to length to spare (unless the stated packed width/height is hypothetical and never quite achievable once used).

My thoughts on the topwater box is; HOLY CRAP, IS THAT EXPENSIVE! and trying to lift a RV4 over the lip of the bottom when it is more than 5' high is asking a lot. If you could make/find something where the side folds open....

Do you plan on having the RV4 permanently on the vehicle? If not just throw it up on the rack when you go camping.

Osteology

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Dallas, TX
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Ingraham
Unfortunately, my "rack" is just a front and rear load bar (primarily to hold my canoe). I don't carry stuff around when I'm not using it but I would need to, at least, add something to support the Oztent in it's bag. Truth be told, I hadn't even checked the price yet - Yakima sure is proud of their stuff. Oh well, back to dreaming and pondering

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Unfortunately, my "rack" is just a front and rear load bar (primarily to hold my canoe). I don't carry stuff around when I'm not using it but I would need to, at least, add something to support the Oztent in it's bag. Truth be told, I hadn't even checked the price yet - Yakima sure is proud of their stuff. Oh well, back to dreaming and pondering
I had an RV-5 and hauled it a lot (see my prev post in this thread).

If I was going to put an Oztent up on load bars (gonna be heavy/awkward to lift, no matter which one you have) I would first u-bolt two aluminum angles or black iron pipe as long as the packed tent to the load bars. Then I'd cradle the packed Oztent with those, strapped around a few times. That would be enough to support the rigid tent arms inside. I wouldn't hesitate to travel with it at highway speeds.

You could also stitch some short sleeves to the tent bag for the pipe or angle to go through, then lift the whole deal and strap it to the bars. I'd want the angle or pipe to support from the bottom of the packed bag.

An RV-4 packed size is: 84" (L) × 15" (W) × 10" (H) and weighs 50lbs.

Good luck with a solution. Oztents are the best if you're going the ground tent route.

Reactions: Osteology