Rank I

Contributor III

Albany, OR, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Hughes
View attachment 101947

Picked up this fridge/ freezer off of Amazon. It is the Costway 63QT fridge/freezer. So far this tings works amazingly well. I will be making a slide for the back of the truck this weekend. I will post pics when I am done.

I have a 5.9 as well. What's your plan for maintaining power to the fridge? I have mine in the cab so I can use the accessory outlet in the center console. However, I'm worried about draining batteries over night or while i'm parked for a substantial amount of time. I'll be testing before the maiden voyage. I'm thinking 3rd battery and using the trailer wiring harness as a source for charging.

Nate Romero

Rank IV

Influencer II

I have a 5.9 as well. What's your plan for maintaining power to the fridge? I have mine in the cab so I can use the accessory outlet in the center console. However, I'm worried about draining batteries over night or while i'm parked for a substantial amount of time. I'll be testing before the maiden voyage. I'm thinking 3rd battery and using the trailer wiring harness as a source for charging.
So I actually use a battery in the bed of my truck that runs the fridge and the lights on the roof rack. I also have a usb and cigarette plug there to be able to charge devices. We used the fridge in 80 to 90 deg weather and it worked awesome being in the bed with the topper. I had the fridge set to shut off at 11.7 volts and it took about 26hrs of running to get it there. Currently I charge that battery by plugging it in when I am at home. I plan to run a battery isolation kit so I can use the alternator to charge while driving but not risk draining my main starting battery. Let me see if I can get some pics this weekend of how I have everything setup back there.

skuirrely

Rank I

Contributor III

Albany, OR, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Hughes
So I actually use a battery in the bed of my truck that runs the fridge and the lights on the roof rack. I also have a usb and cigarette plug there to be able to charge devices. We used the fridge in 80 to 90 deg weather and it worked awesome being in the bed with the topper. I had the fridge set to shut off at 11.7 volts and it took about 26hrs of running to get it there. Currently I charge that battery by plugging it in when I am at home. I plan to run a battery isolation kit so I can use the alternator to charge while driving but not risk draining my main starting battery. Let me see if I can get some pics this weekend of how I have everything setup back there.
[/QUOTE

Good to know the hours the fridge ran. How many AH is the battery? I'm looking at doing the same thing myself. I guess Blue Sea systems as the awesome isolator. Charges independently and, like you said, does not drain the house batteries. If in one spot for a few days, solar might be the next step :)

Reactions: Nate Romero

Nate Romero

Rank IV

Influencer II

not sure on the A/H for my battery it is a spare truck battery I had laying around. I will be switching to a deep cycle battery here pretty soon. I had also thought about doing solar as I have the roof space to mount one on my roof rack. haven't made up my mine which is why I haven't moved in a certain direction. I believe on the low setting on this fridge it will go down to 10.3 volts before shutting off the fridge.

Reactions: skuirrely

Sonarman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North SF bay area
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Arietta
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KMA6AIU
Service Branch
US Submarine Force
I have 2 100 watt panels mounted on my Alu Cab RTT. ARB Element fridge behind passenger seat. Dual 6 volt golf cart batteries mounted in bed 200 AH along with Renogy controller. Totally independent of car charging system. Runs fridge and anything else I need like a champ! Cooler is pic is just to keep dried food in. 8E2599BA-0B7D-4D35-A5BD-EF6D755EA108.jpeg971C6D69-4DC7-4F92-8CB9-02F5C77C5251.jpeg