Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Richland, WA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Bell
Member #

Hmmm. That sounds awesome. Iv seen the rooms for the awnings but never bothered looking into them but that’s great information!
I'll be using it for the first time June 20th through the 23rd at the Northwest Overland Rally. I'll post my thoughts on using it as shelter and slumber palace. It appears to set up and break down easily which will be great as I run out for a trail run or two.

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
I'll be using it for the first time June 20th through the 23rd at the Northwest Overland Rally. I'll post my thoughts on using it as shelter and slumber palace. It appears to set up and break down easily which will be great as I run out for a trail run or two.
Yes please do update. I’m very intrigued now

TerraRoamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Richland, WA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Bell
Member #

Yes please do update. I’m very intrigued now
It worked great, actually. Fast and easy setup. Vehicle access through the back was great and plenty of room inside. Staked the bottom and ran a couple of guy wires on the end of the awning and all was great. A cot inside would have made it perfect.

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
It worked great, actually. Fast and easy setup. Vehicle access through the back was great and plenty of room inside. Staked the bottom and ran a couple of guy wires on the end of the awning and all was great. A cot inside would have made it perfect.
That sounds sweet. Thanks for the update

Reactions: TerraRoamer

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

I'm partial to the awning I make. Its new but is an excellent awning compared to some of the other awnings on the market.
Nomadic 270 Awning
That's a nice looking product. Does it have a pop up pole on top of the arms to keep the material tight so the water does not pool? Are there walls available? Never mind--I see that they are available.

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

We've found the typical awning is too small to be practical for our needs. We use a 10' x 10' nylon tarp fixed on an expandable mount on the side of our rack. We can also use it on the back to completely cover our kitchen area. It goes up extremely fast after doing it a few times. A few small carabineers clip it to the side, a couple adjustable poles, stakes and it's up!

DSC_0766.JPG_smaller.JPG

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
That's a nice looking product. Does it have a pop up pole on top of the arms to keep the material tight so the water does not pool? Are there walls available? Never mind--I see that they are available.
No pop up polls but it does have the tie downs to tension it out to eliminate the rain runoff.

I just installed the Nomadic 270 awning today on my Tahoe it took about 2 hours to install and adjust the mounting brackets and to drill out my cross bars. If you have standard size cross bars they should not require any drilling. If you have a roof that is lower than7 feet it should be faster to mount one also.. Mine are custom made wing shaped low mounts and are as wide as the brackets so I just drilled through them and bolted them down. I would imagine with a more standard vehicle with a regular rack and a helper you should be able to install this awning in an hour or less.

It is a very rugged piece of equipment and a good price. First impression. the quality is very good and it opens up easily. Putting it up is easy until you start to zip the case closed... I did have to roll it up a couple times before I got it right but, I think after a few days in the sun it should stretch out the cover a little so this shouldn't be a problem in the future. I took it out on the freeway and at 70 mph I didn't hear any noise it was nice and quiet.

I will do a write up on it after I have a little more time and post some photos of it on my 2011 Tahoe build thread So far it was a hit at the Reno Overland bound monthly meeting.

Last edited:

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

No pop up polls but it does have the tie downs to tension it out to eliminate the rain runoff.

I just installed the Nomadic 270 awning today on my Tahoe it took about 2 hours to install and adjust the mounting brackets and to drill out my cross bars. If you have standard size cross bars they should not require any drilling. If you have a roof that is lower than7 feet it should be faster to mount one also.. Mine are custom made wing shaped low mounts and are as wide as the brackets so I just drilled through them and bolted them down. I would imagine with a more standard vehicle with a regular rack and a helper you should be able to install this awning in an hour or less.

It is a very rugged piece of equipment and a good price. First impression. the quality is very good and it opens up easily. Putting it up is easy until you start to zip the case closed... I did have to roll it up a couple times before I got it right but, I think after a few days in the sun it should stretch out the cover a little so this shouldn't be a problem in the future. I took it out on the freeway and at 70 mph I didn't hear any noise it was nice and quiet.

I will do a write up on it after I have a little more time and post some photos of it on my 2011 Tahoe build thread So far it was a hit at the Reno Overland bound monthly meeting.
Man that thing looks really nice. I looked at their website and I can get it for no tax and free shipping! Now all I gotta do is sell my ARB 8' awning that has a BNIB ARB screen room to go with it...

Reactions: Charles M

ChepoCDT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Mexico City
First Name
Chepo
Last Name
CDT
Member #

Well, I installed the Smittybilt 6x6 two weeks ago, and so far I have used 3 times in rain...

The first one was when I was installing with a friend the suspension for his ranger, and suddenly a storm hit us badly... we were at the top of my parking lot and opened the awning in less than a minute... Yup, hail started to fall and we had to do it quickly... That day it payed itselt! (5 days after the install)

The second time was with some friends watching their kids play at a park, and the third was today while helping another friend build his van and rain hit us again...

I have never used a "camp accesory" so many times without being at camp in so little time!

Btw, I bought it from amazon (mexico) at the prime day and it cost less than 150usd...

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
We've found the typical awning is too small to be practical for our needs. We use a 10' x 10' nylon tarp fixed on an expandable mount on the side of our rack. We can also use it on the back to completely cover our kitchen area. It goes up extremely fast after doing it a few times. A few small carabineers clip it to the side, a couple adjustable poles, stakes and it's up!

View attachment 110269
Honestly. I’m a huge fan of this. It just seems so versatile. And much cheaper than an awning

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

We have a TJM 2500 awning on the Passenger side of the truck and a Alu-cab 270 on the drivers side.

I would say 70% of the time we stop on the trail for lunch and to look around I deploy the Alu-cab for shade. It is so easy and fast and only need to drop the support legs if the wind is above 15 to 20 miles and hour.

We also got the wall kit makes for a lot of sheltered room.

Shadow 1.jpg

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL
Hey overlanders. Iv been on the fence for a while about getting an awning for the jeep but I feel like I may get it and never really use it.

For those that have an awning, do you use it often? Even for non-overland purposes??
If I am stationary for a couple of days, I will deploy it and use it. Often will set up my table and chair under it as well as my kitchen.