Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Sweet
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6IHR
That is awesome that you found a solution! I called Bernard and he said those mounts would not work with my Leitner and Shadow Awn, but you made it happen! If you don't mind, would you be willing to send me some close up shots of how you mounted yours? Like some detailed close ups....if you can DM me I can shoot you my email to send them.

I will give those brackets a shot then and see how I make it work. Only thing is I have to figure out how to make room for the brackets because one side of my rack is filled up with Rotopax and maxtraxx and a storage pod. The other side has rotopax and a storage pod but that is the driver side and my awning is a passenger side and that side is full of gear so I need to rearrange things I assume. Thank you for sharing that info with me! Very much appreciate it, I was ready to sell off my awnings but I may just end up keeping one for the truck and sell the other to fund a cheaper awning AND a tent from Smittybilt on both products for my Rubicon.
That is awesome that you found a solution! I called Bernard and he said those mounts would not work with my Leitner and Shadow Awn, but you made it happen! If you don't mind, would you be willing to send me some close up shots of how you mounted yours? Like some detailed close ups....if you can DM me I can shoot you my email to send them.

I will give those brackets a shot then and see how I make it work. Only thing is I have to figure out how to make room for the brackets because one side of my rack is filled up with Rotopax and maxtraxx and a storage pod. The other side has rotopax and a storage pod but that is the driver side and my awning is a passenger side and that side is full of gear so I need to rearrange things I assume. Thank you for sharing that info with me! Very much appreciate it, I was ready to sell off my awnings but I may just end up keeping one for the truck and sell the other to fund a cheaper awning AND a tent from Smittybilt on both products for my Rubicon.
I was told to cut, move, shift things to get my awning mounted. I used spacers and long bolts, all stainless and mil grade, left everything centered and didn't cut a thing. The Alu-Cab tent mounting plates align with the Shadow Awning holes. I am in Huntington Beach maybe we can meet up and figure out a good mount. Also this might work too front-runner-slimline-ii-shadow-awn-mount. If you don't have a RTT, you might want to look at the Expedition III, think it is hard to beat. I installed everything myself. Shadow awning is a work of art too!

Attachments

aaaslayer

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Chino, CA
Here's a side shot of my truck and what is currently on there. My awning opens passanger side, and I have that side filled. Even moving everything over to the other side, it would be hard to mount anything else on the passenger side besides the awning as it takes up the entire side pretty much....sorry for the grainy quality, they're screenshots from my instagram

truck 1.jpgtruck 2.jpg

Reactions: RoarinRow

rsweet

Rank V

Member III

Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Sweet
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6IHR
You have way more cross beam space to use as mounting than I did. My issue was I didn't have hardly any cross beam space and it stuck it enough to not allow correct mounting. So my options were to either cut cross beams or shift RTT off center. Think you could have an easy solution, with three cross beams and the shadow awning has multiple mount points. Your in CA, correct?

Reactions: aaaslayer

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
Here's a side shot of my truck and what is currently on there. My awning opens passanger side, and I have that side filled. Even moving everything over to the other side, it would be hard to mount anything else on the passenger side besides the awning as it takes up the entire side pretty much....sorry for the grainy quality, they're screenshots from my instagram

View attachment 97278View attachment 97279
Dude. I need your Instagram. I need to see this limo truck in action. A 3/4 ton truck with a full cab and a long bed. Your truck is sweet.

Reactions: aaaslayer

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
My Smittybilt 8x6 awning is my most-used piece of gear. Sun, rain, leaves, snow - we've sheltered from everything under our awnings. I also have a 4x6 ARB on the back, though I seldom use it. That car show pic of my elderly father and all of his buddies hanging out is my favorite. The old-school hot rod guys didn't care about the truck, but they all enjoyed the chairs I brought, the shade from the awnings, and the cold water and soda I was handing out.

I’m a total sucker for an fj. How do you like the smittybilt? The amazon reviews weren’t too promising. But the price was very attractive

Reactions: Kevin108

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I’m a total sucker for an fj. How do you like the smittybilt? The amazon reviews weren’t too promising. But the price was very attractive
I've had it for 4 years and beaten the shit out of it. It has been awesome. All of this stuff is essentially the same except for the really cheap versions that have the cinch straps on the outside. Smittybilt seems to be the brand that people who paid more for no reason like to bash. I'm sure somewhere in their massive catalog they have some items that aren't up to par, but the awning and tent are excellent. I'm at 72 nights in the tent and who knows how many days under the awning. Unless the 8x6 just isn't big enough for you or the tan color isn't your thing, I see no reason to go elsewhere.

Reactions: sabjku

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
I've had it for 4 years and beaten the shit out of it. It has been awesome. All of this stuff is essentially the same except for the really cheap versions that have the cinch straps on the outside. Smittybilt seems to be the brand that people who paid more for no reason like to bash. I'm sure somewhere in their massive catalog they have some items that aren't up to par, but the awning and tent are excellent. I'm at 72 nights in the tent and who knows how many days under the awning. Unless the 8x6 just isn't big enough for you or the tan color isn't your thing, I see no reason to go elsewhere.
That’s what I like to hear. It’s tough with Amazon sometimes to take all the reviews seriously. Reviews can be pretty subjective. But it’s hard to dispute cold hard evidence. 8x6. So it’s 8 feet wide and 6 feet away from the vehicle?

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
Correct. There are a few manufacturers who will do an 8x8 in the same package, but the price per square foot of coverage escalates significantly.
8x6 seems like a good size. Large enough to cover things up but small enough to be compact and not take too much room

aaaslayer

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Chino, CA
You have way more cross beam space to use as mounting than I did. My issue was I didn't have hardly any cross beam space and it stuck it enough to not allow correct mounting. So my options were to either cut cross beams or shift RTT off center. Think you could have an easy solution, with three cross beams and the shadow awning has multiple mount points. Your in CA, correct?

I'm in Ontario

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Yes, the tj has and arb awning and the 80 series landcruiser will be getting a 270 awning. Trail, tailgate, thunder over Louisville and family reunions with the occasional fist fight. Have fun and Roll Tide.

Tim Roberts

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

Hey overlanders. Iv been on the fence for a while about getting an awning for the jeep but I feel like I may get it and never really use it.

For those that have an awning, do you use it often? Even for non-overland purposes??
I bought an ARB Awning four years ago and have used it once! It’s great but I just never seem to have occasion to used it! It’s really nice but? Hope this helps!

Reactions: tacoclifford

TerraRoamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Richland, WA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Bell
Member #

Hey overlanders. Iv been on the fence for a while about getting an awning for the jeep but I feel like I may get it and never really use it.

For those that have an awning, do you use it often? Even for non-overland purposes??
Yes. First purchased to use for tailgating at Watershed Festival which, at the time, was a three day concert at the Gorge at George in Washington State.
Also use sometimes at kayak launch sites for an after paddle lunch site.
I just purchased the ARB room that attaches underneath. For the time being, I'll be using that as tent as well as mosquito protected dining and shade if necessary.

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
Yes. First purchased to use for tailgating at Watershed Festival which, at the time, was a three day concert at the Gorge at George in Washington State.
Also use sometimes at kayak launch sites for an after paddle lunch site.
I just purchased the ARB room that attaches underneath. For the time being, I'll be using that as tent as well as mosquito protected dining and shade if necessary.
I’m glad you brought that up. That’s certainly a plus. For the most part. I sleep right in the jeep. So it would be nice to have an enclosed place to leave the inside of the jeep and stand up or get changed or whatever I need to do. Is the room walls open to the vehicle? Or is it four walls with a zipper door or something?

TerraRoamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Richland, WA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Bell
Member #

I’m glad you brought that up. That’s certainly a plus. For the most part. I sleep right in the jeep. So it would be nice to have an enclosed place to leave the inside of the jeep and stand up or get changed or whatever I need to do. Is the room walls open to the vehicle? Or is it four walls with a zipper door or something?
Fully enclosed including reinforced floor and roof. Vehicle's side unzips for cabin access. Doors on both sides with screens. The front has a large screen that can be exposed or even zipped open. Can open it way up screened or not!

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
Fully enclosed including reinforced floor and roof. Vehicle's side unzips for cabin access. Doors on both sides with screens. The front has a large screen that can be exposed or even zipped open. Can open it way up screened or not!
Hmmm. That sounds awesome. Iv seen the rooms for the awnings but never bothered looking into them but that’s great information!