Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
Hey overlanders. Iv been on the fence for a while about getting an awning for the jeep but I feel like I may get it and never really use it.

For those that have an awning, do you use it often? Even for non-overland purposes??

Last edited:

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I bought an ARB awning about a year ago. It is still in the shipping tube waiting for me to fabricate a mounting system for it.

Life happens.

I still hold out hopes of relaxing beneath it.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I have an ARB 2500 on my Jeep, and a Foxwing on the trailer. I absolutely love having the ARB on the Jeep, and use it quite frequently. I even use it at work sometimes and we'll grill lunch under it. Definitely one of the most useful additions I've done, especially when you mate it to one of the ARB awning rooms or mesh rooms. Incredibly practical, and really not that expensive at all.

aaaslayer

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Chino, CA
I have 2 Alu Cab Shadow Awnings, one for the Ram 2500 and one for the Jeep JKUR. Both require custom fabbed mounts for my racks. That's a couple hundred dollars per vehicle just to mount it. I'm strongly debating whether to keep them or just sell them and buy a cheaper awning that already has mounts for my Leitner rack

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
I have 2 Alu Cab Shadow Awnings, one for the Ram 2500 and one for the Jeep JKUR. Both require custom fabbed mounts for my racks. That's a couple hundred dollars per vehicle just to mount it. I'm strongly debating whether to keep them or just sell them and buy a cheaper awning that already has mounts for my Leitner rack
That kind of sucks Sorry to hear that

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
The point of having an awning for me is to have quick shade off the truck and to give coverage from rain, snow and wind when camped. The easier it is to use, the more you will use it. I’ve really like my EeziAwn since it opens super fast. In light or no wind, you don’t even need the vertical poles. Had a foxwing before this and only opened it like 5 times in a year. I open the EeziAwn all the time. Parking lot, wrenching in the driveway, lunch stops.C67960E7-1C24-4269-B16C-90814A8041C9.jpegEAB1D711-D89D-42EE-986F-59C2E1C568B4.jpeg

Last edited:

Rubicon_Flash

Rank I

Enthusiast I

North Texas
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5ATB
I have an ARB 2500 on my Jeep, and a Foxwing on the trailer. I absolutely love having the ARB on the Jeep, and use it quite frequently. I even use it at work sometimes and we'll grill lunch under it. Definitely one of the most useful additions I've done, especially when you mate it to one of the ARB awning rooms or mesh rooms. Incredibly practical, and really not that expensive at all.
I'm looking to get an awning for my jeep. Looking at the ARB 2500 and the Yakama Slim Shady. What roof rack do you use on your jeep? I have a JL Rubicon and looking at possibly getting the Mopar roof rack.

Reactions: sabjku

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I'm looking to get an awning for my jeep. Looking at the ARB 2500 and the Yakama Slim Shady. What roof rack do you use on your jeep? I have a JL Rubicon and looking at possibly getting the Mopar roof rack.
I just have the basic Thule gutter feet, Thule square load bars, then just drilled the awning mounts through the load bars in order to attach the awning. My entire way of mounting the awning was based on an exact position I needed height wise for the awning to clear my doors, but also be low enough to clear my garage, so it was very specific.

I'll recommend the ARB awnings all day long for a standard, straight out awning. Fairly priced, well made, quick set up, and all of their attachment rooms are VERY reasonably priced.

rsweet

Rank V

Member III

Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Sweet
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6IHR
I have a Leitner rack, have tried Truck Bed Rack: Awning Mounting Kit I bought military grade stainless spacers, bolts from McMaster-Carr. Had to remove far left awning bolt to get in all 4 spacers. Rock solid and I use awing all the time.

Attachments

Reactions: aaaslayer

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

My Smittybilt 8x6 awning is my most-used piece of gear. Sun, rain, leaves, snow - we've sheltered from everything under our awnings. I also have a 4x6 ARB on the back, though I seldom use it. That car show pic of my elderly father and all of his buddies hanging out is my favorite. The old-school hot rod guys didn't care about the truck, but they all enjoyed the chairs I brought, the shade from the awnings, and the cold water and soda I was handing out.

aaaslayer

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Chino, CA

That is awesome that you found a solution! I called Bernard and he said those mounts would not work with my Leitner and Shadow Awn, but you made it happen! If you don't mind, would you be willing to send me some close up shots of how you mounted yours? Like some detailed close ups....if you can DM me I can shoot you my email to send them.

I will give those brackets a shot then and see how I make it work. Only thing is I have to figure out how to make room for the brackets because one side of my rack is filled up with Rotopax and maxtraxx and a storage pod. The other side has rotopax and a storage pod but that is the driver side and my awning is a passenger side and that side is full of gear so I need to rearrange things I assume. Thank you for sharing that info with me! Very much appreciate it, I was ready to sell off my awnings but I may just end up keeping one for the truck and sell the other to fund a cheaper awning AND a tent from Smittybilt on both products for my Rubicon.