Do You Practice TREAD Lightly! Principles?

• HTML tutorial

Toyotadirtdevil

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Carmichael, California
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Nantz
Member #

Interesting topics.
We always carry in, carry out, leave no trace.
If there is no fire ring at a site, then we don't build a fire, we use the Coleman or our Volcano grill. We also carry three shovels, one on the trailer for basecamp use, one in the cruiser, and one for hiking, and a poo bucket with ziplock bags. We also have, and always use our Trasharoo. Here, I believe are a couple of things we came across at Big Bend that would be considered archeological in and of themselves. It is not difficult to understand why we shouldn't disturb them, not much different than coming across arrow heads, or pottery pieces . You see something old, leave it alone. I don't understand people that don't get that. View attachment 6104 View attachment 6105
Where was the car body? I can rebuild it.

Reactions: MOAK

EOD Tam

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

Alameda, CA
Member #

I also want to add that I'm not the preachy type when it comes to this. If someone is genuinely interested in TREAD Lightly! I'm more than happy to talk about it, but it doesn't get thrown in anyone's face. A lot of people are receptive to a "follow by example" approach, and that's what I like to do. Something simple like picking up old trash and taking it home. Sometimes there's a comment from someone, and I'll use that opportunity to mention D, and that I'm just Doing my part.
That's one of the easiest things I teach my kids when we are out hiking is to pick up at least one piece of trash and throw it away properly. Well because they are 6 and 3 it becomes a treasure hunt for trash. As we sit back as parents it makes us laugh whether or not they really get it, but at least they always remember and we go hunting for trash, I mean treasure!

Reactions: MarkW

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
It's important to make sure we keep the trails clean, even when it means picking up the slack for others. We don't want this sport spoiled for us, or to lose access to these beautiful areas. Conserving the areas for us and our children helps us keep things going for many years to come.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I believe in practicing all of the tread lightly principles and also pack it in and pack it out.. I am ashamed to say I have not joined tread lightly yet but have plans to change that.

AprilC

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rocklin, CA
Member #

I believe in Treading Lightly. Lean No Trace, Pack it in, pack it out.
I find it disgusting and disappointing to see a site littered with toilet paper.

Peeing and pooping in the Backcountry. Choose a place that’s is 200-feet from the trail and any water source and 200-feet from camp and kitchen.

For Pee
Never go directly into a small pond, stream or lake. Always move 200 feet (about 70 steps) away from a water source.
If you’re in a rafting group camping along a very large river, Leave No Trace recommends peeing directly in the water; the river volume will dilute it, and the camping area avoids getting over-saturated.

For Poop
Supplies:
Trowel or shovel – Used to dig your cat hole. Dig 6-8 inches deep for your poop.
Biodegradable TP or, preferably, what you find in nature.
1240706822_12335.jpg
Picture from Backpacking Lightly.

Sealable plastic bag or solid waste bag depending on your area, you might have to pack out just your TP. If you need to pack out your poop, you will need a solid waste bag.
Have a partner ready with hand sanitizer or biodegradable soap and water. If at all possible try not to touch these things on your own, otherwise you defeat the purpose.

Use TP as little as possible. If you must, follow the rules of the area. Pack it out or, if you must, drop it in the cat hole.

For women, some women prefer to “shake dry” or use a bandana as a “pee rag.” Tie the bandana to the outside of your pack to dry it out, and rinse it when they can. On your period, be prepared to pack out your feminine products. DO NOT BURY THEM or toss them in a bush.

sonicstage

Rank II

Advocate I

As a TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer, one of my goals is to help spread the word of what this program is all about. There are a lot of people out there who roll their eyes whenever those words are mentioned and it makes me sad to see that. The goal isn't to ruin anyone's fun. In fact, it's the complete opposite. We all go out for our own reasons, but enjoying the outdoors is what it really comes down to.

Travel responsibly by staying on designated trails. This is one of the fastest ways to get a trail closed.
Respect the rights of others and private land owners. Everyone is there for the same reason.
Educate yourself before going out. Plan and prepare for your trip in advance, check for restrictions.
Avoid sensitive areas like meadows, and streams. Don't take items from historical sites.
Do your part. Model appropriate behavior, leave an area better than you found it.

For those who don't know what TL is, let me give you a quick explanation and history. Back in the 80's when environmental concerns were becoming a thing for a lot of people, the US Forest Service saw the need for a program to help educate people who like to recreate outdoors. There are millions of people who do this annually and the numbers increase every year. Whether it's horse back riding, using motorized equipment like ATV's, Jeeps (the broad term for off road vehicles), or dirt bikes, the principles apply equally. Even out on the water with PWC like a boat or jet ski.

The first time TREAD Lightly! was seen by the public was on the Great Divide Expedition trip led by Camel Trophy legend, Tom Collins in 1989. He planned a north south route through Colorado and using Range Rover Classics donated by Land Rover, drove the entire trip without hitting pavement. It was a huge success on all fronts and people started taking notice.

Eventually TREAD Lightly! became a non profit and has even become part of Boy Scouts Outdoor Ethics Award program in the past few years.

So, what does this mean to people who want to take the rig overlanding? Well, it means being a steward of the land on which we like to travel. "Respected access is open access." as they say. By following these basic principles you can help keep your favorite trails open for future generations.
Yes tread lightly and pack in pack out I use one of these and it’s a game changer the bag is gigantic
IMG_0965.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 4xFar Adventures

Jeff Knoll

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, Nevada
Member #

As a TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer, one of my goals is to help spread the word of what this program is all about. There are a lot of people out there who roll their eyes whenever those words are mentioned and it makes me sad to see that. The goal isn't to ruin anyone's fun. In fact, it's the complete opposite. We all go out for our own reasons, but enjoying the outdoors is what it really comes down to.

Travel responsibly by staying on designated trails. This is one of the fastest ways to get a trail closed.
Respect the rights of others and private land owners. Everyone is there for the same reason.
Educate yourself before going out. Plan and prepare for your trip in advance, check for restrictions.
Avoid sensitive areas like meadows, and streams. Don't take items from historical sites.
Do your part. Model appropriate behavior, leave an area better than you found it.

For those who don't know what TL is, let me give you a quick explanation and history. Back in the 80's when environmental concerns were becoming a thing for a lot of people, the US Forest Service saw the need for a program to help educate people who like to recreate outdoors. There are millions of people who do this annually and the numbers increase every year. Whether it's horse back riding, using motorized equipment like ATV's, Jeeps (the broad term for off road vehicles), or dirt bikes, the principles apply equally. Even out on the water with PWC like a boat or jet ski.

The first time TREAD Lightly! was seen by the public was on the Great Divide Expedition trip led by Camel Trophy legend, Tom Collins in 1989. He planned a north south route through Colorado and using Range Rover Classics donated by Land Rover, drove the entire trip without hitting pavement. It was a huge success on all fronts and people started taking notice.

Eventually TREAD Lightly! became a non profit and has even become part of Boy Scouts Outdoor Ethics Award program in the past few years.

So, what does this mean to people who want to take the rig overlanding? Well, it means being a steward of the land on which we like to travel. "Respected access is open access." as they say. By following these basic principles you can help keep your favorite trails open for future generations.
Thanks for sharing the Tread Lightly message and back story. I am not sure how many Charter Members are still around. #LeaveNoTrace

image1.JPG

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
As a TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer, one of my goals is to help spread the word of what this program is all about. There are a lot of people out there who roll their eyes whenever those words are mentioned and it makes me sad to see that.
I think you may be getting that reaction because of how often Tread Lightly disciples use the principles to shame people who don't know any better rather than take an opportunity to talk to them about the principles. There are always some crazy drunk rednecks or tweakers in the woods who don't care about anything but I think the majority of "overlanders" are pretty responsible folks who want to do the right thing. They just don't always know what the right thing is.

Reactions: Road