Rank III

Enthusiast III

Purcellville, Loudoun County, Virginia, United States
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Brinkman
Member #

I'm sure we pack 'heavy' compared to what we actually use/need, but I'm firmly in the "just in case" camp. Hopefully as we get more trips under our (family of 4) belt, we'll narrow down the bulk of the 'just in case' items. The problem is, with a Silverado, you can almost always squeeze 'one more thing' in. It's kind of like my laptop bag I use for work - I found that if I used a big backpack, I always found something to fill it with, but I downsized to an over the shoulder messenger bag and turns out I still have everything I 'need' with less than half of the capacity that I had with the backpack.
Completely agree!

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I'm the worst. However much space I have, I will fill... and then I'll use like 20% of what I bring. Believe it or not, the FWC has actually made that better. You'd think it would encourage me to bring MORE, but actually it helps me just bring the right things. Since most everything stays *in* the camper between trips I have less last-minute panic-packing where I just throw EVERYTHING in. Also, the FWC has less storage than you'd assume, being a pop-up there are no upper cabinets. The more I take the same setup out, the more I learn what I do and don't use, and can actually pare down.

-TJ

Influencer II

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Haskins
Tend to pack on the heavier side. I want everything under the tonneau cover. But camping to me is what I need, but all the comfort stuff means the wife will join me and be happy. So full kitchen box with everything.
dry goods box
Fold up table to set up kitchen,
easy up tent
. RTT with annex,
75qt fridge,
battery box,
30amp power for campgrounds
hoses and cords
yeti cooler for the beer and drinks
waterless toilet,
camp chairs
joolca hot water system, sink and shower
2-5lb propane tanks
camp chairs
outddor carpets to keep sand and dirt out of the annex.
fans and lights
ZeroBreeze ac in the summer

we set up for 3-4 days to a week. Usually on a lake and take the boat for ice Or what not

Attachments

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

LOL to all the fellas blaming their wives for packing heavy…kinda like blaming the dog when you let one rip…
I’m in the medium to light packing category for the length of my trips (1-3 months). No folding tables, skottles or cute lighting, but a variety of utilitarian clothing to cover the anticipated climates, ample camera gear, and extra household/personal items that will be more expensive to purchase on the road. This year I brought snowshoes, due to the ridiculous amount of remaining snow in California. Didn’t use them, but the microspikes were invaluable when crossing the frozen snowfield on Mt. Dana. One of the best views in the Sierra Nevada!

Attachments

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@ZombieCat Well, that brings us to a few points.

1. Which is more important to you, your wife's satisfaction or a lighter load?

2. Do you really want to be out on a trip with an unhappy woman?

3. Women tend to require more equipment in their daily routines (which is why they generally carry a bag) than us dudes. Their "light" is by default heavier than ours.

4. Women can't stand while pissing.

5. Imagine living your same life, but being unable to stand while pissing.

6. Don't actually imagine that, but it does give a glimpse of the inconvenience of existing as a woman.

7. Women are biologically different from dudes. They don't take the bashing and thrashing of road trips as well and they are discomforted more easily.

8. Discomfort leads to complaints.

9. Repeat from step 2.

Influencer II

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Haskins

3. Women tend to require more equipment in their daily routines (which is why they generally carry a bag) than us dudes. Their "light" is by default heavier than ours.

6. Don't actually imagine that, but it does give a glimpse of the inconvenience of existing as a woman.

7. Women are biologically different from dudes. They don't take the bashing and thrashing of road trips as well and they are discomforted more easily.

9. Repeat from step 2.
exactly my point. My wife is by no means a princess. Works very hard, grew up minimalist canoe camping with her dad and brothers. But the happier and comfortable she is, means I’m more comfortable. Plus if she is having fun the more trips she wants to take. To the point of next year lake trips are all camping. No more airbnbs. Told me the other day, camping is just easier and more fun.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@ProjectCleanSlate The old adage rings true: "Happy wife, happy life!" She might not ever tell ya this herself, but from one old bro to another, kudos for caring what your wife thinks! Seen marriages wrecked that could have been saved because the two parties just didn't show any concern for each other's thoughts, feelings, and values. Not trying to go off topic here, though.

I'd take whatever she wanted to bring, if a woman ever thought of coming on one of my trips.

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

9. Repeat from step 2.
Now that I’ve stopped laughing…
1. To begin, I AM a woman. I usually attempt to make my travel companions of either sex comfortable, up to a point.
2. If a travel companion isn’t realistic about or comfortable with the conditions of the trip, they can stay home.
3. Not true. I used to travel for work and often brought much less than the guys. Yes, we may need a small amount of feminine hygiene products (up to a certain age), but that’s only a few ounces. Due to your likely larger physical size, your clothing and footwear will weigh more than mine.
4. Yes, we can. There are numerous female urination devices, such as the pStyle. We can also squat and then use a water bottle bidet/Kula cloth to clean up and there’s no trash to carry out. Regardless, you’ll likely bring some type of toilet system to properly dispose of solid waste, which you both can use sitting down. Or you can dig a cat hole and squat for that, too.
5. See #4
6. LOL - life as a woman is great! Any “inconveniences” can easily be overcome. At least we don’t have the inconvenience of…ahem…constantly readjusting our underwear to avoid chafing.
7. Of course we’re biologically different. Although we are typically physically smaller, there’s no scientific evidence that we can’t handle driving a rough, bumpy road as well as any man. Women have been psychologically and socially conditioned to believe we are “the weaker sex.” I call BS on that! We also live longer - 79 years versus 73 for men, according to the CDC.
8. This is true of anyone. Whiners can stay home. Period.
9. Packing appropriately for a trip is a learned skill and should evolve over time. Work together with your partner to make an agreed upon list of what to bring, broken down into categories such as gear, kitchen, sleeping, toiletries, clothing, etc. Modify for climate, length of travel and anticipated activities. Allow a few lightweight, non-bulky “luxury” items for each person to enhance comfort and enjoyment.
Solo travel is always an option, even if you’re married. I know several men whose wives are not into roughing it. The compromise is to take their wives on separate, more traditional vacations they can enjoy as a couple.
Before you generalize women as weak, read about Emma “Grandma” Gatewood, the first female solo thru hiker of the Appalachian Trail. With no training, a pair of Keds and a canvas sack, she walked the entire trail in 1955. She was 67 years old. She hiked it two more times, making her the first person (male or female) to do so. Heather “Anish” Anderson held unsupported FKT’s for both the Appalachian and Pacific Crest Trails, beating the top male endurance hikers. Women can overcome and excel in the face of adversity. Overlanding is a piece of cake.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I pack light and only take what I really want, but the Lady easily makes up all of my efforts and we end up pretty heavy...

Reactions: DintDobbs

Influencer II

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Haskins
Now that I’ve stopped laughing…
1. To begin, I AM a woman. I usually attempt to make my travel companions of either sex comfortable, up to a point.
2. If a travel companion isn’t realistic about or comfortable with the conditions of the trip, they can stay home.
3. Not true. I used to travel for work and often brought much less than the guys. Yes, we may need a small amount of feminine hygiene products (up to a certain age), but that’s only a few ounces. Due to your likely larger physical size, your clothing and footwear will weigh more than mine.
4. Yes, we can. There are numerous female urination devices, such as the pStyle. We can also squat and then use a water bottle bidet/Kula cloth to clean up and there’s no trash to carry out. Regardless, you’ll likely bring some type of toilet system to properly dispose of solid waste, which you both can use sitting down. Or you can dig a cat hole and squat for that, too.
5. See #4
6. LOL - life as a woman is great! Any “inconveniences” can easily be overcome. At least we don’t have the inconvenience of…ahem…constantly readjusting our underwear to avoid chafing.
7. Of course we’re biologically different. Although we are typically physically smaller, there’s no scientific evidence that we can’t handle driving a rough, bumpy road as well as any man. Women have been psychologically and socially conditioned to believe we are “the weaker sex.” I call BS on that! We also live longer - 79 years versus 73 for men, according to the CDC.
8. This is true of anyone. Whiners can stay home. Period.
9. Packing appropriately for a trip is a learned skill and should evolve over time. Work together with your partner to make an agreed upon list of what to bring, broken down into categories such as gear, kitchen, sleeping, toiletries, clothing, etc. Modify for climate, length of travel and anticipated activities. Allow a few lightweight, non-bulky “luxury” items for each person to enhance comfort and enjoyment.
Solo travel is always an option, even if you’re married. I know several men whose wives are not into roughing it. The compromise is to take their wives on separate, more traditional vacations they can enjoy as a couple.
Before you generalize women as weak, read about Emma “Grandma” Gatewood, the first female solo thru hiker of the Appalachian Trail. With no training, a pair of Keds and a canvas sack, she walked the entire trail in 1955. She was 67 years old. She hiked it two more times, making her the first person (male or female) to do so. Heather “Anish” Anderson held unsupported FKT’s for both the Appalachian and Pacific Crest Trails, beating the top male endurance hikers. Women can overcome and excel in the face of adversity. Overlanding is a piece of cake.
love it. I’m by no means saying women can’t hack what men can on a trip. Most women are way stronger mentally for sure, and when it’s tough going, they keep going. Ive been around a ton of big strong guys on trips that are huge moody baby’s Making everyone else miserable.

Biggest thing for us is we stay in one spot for a few days. Basically a base camp. We are at lake with our wake/surf boat. So base camp needs to be where you can be clean and comfortable. So for my wife that means a toilet and a fan for the tent at night. Very hot and humid where we are most of the time. We did cold showers all summer, but man hot water is nice Over the past couple trips. I’m working on paring down what’s necessary and luxury. Kitchen setup is where I’m working on streamlining things.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@ZombieCat Well, that shows how many profiles I read.

Secondarily, while this is not the place to discuss such matters, there are many physiological differences which make male bodies far better suited to taking the rough stuff, which is fortunate for us, because our hard-headed tomfoolery requires that marginal advantage or we'd live a lot shorter than we already do! I also never insinuated that women were weak, not sure why you would mention that. However, I am neither here to argue nor do I require the last word, so I'll not discuss this further.

The funnel and cleaning instrument of choice are among the equipment which causes the ladies to have to pack heavier on the regular. I was trying to say that in my post without getting too graphic, but since the lady mentioned it first, there ya go. I stand uncorrected.

As far as the rest of that goes, cool, I hope she had fun! Glad I wasn't there to smell it!

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

PStyle: 0.8 ounces
Happy Bottom Bidet: 8 ounces
Kula cloth: 0.4 ounces
Total additional weight: 9.2 ounces

Reactions: 64Trvlr

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Alone I travel medium, well within my GVW rating. Feels like luxury compared to my backpacking days decades ago. On my own- like hunting weekends- a 12 pack of soda , log of salami, and block of cheese covers all meals. I try to be weight conscious, it's a challenge to replace needed things with lighter versions. Building my original kit, I went as far as titanium sockets, utensils, and tent stakes for example. Old habit from the backpacking past.

When traveling with my partner, a full kitchen with stuffed coolers and what iff's are present, and I end up just below or at max gvw.

And I have to seriously add my biggest challenge is she likes rocks. When unpacking the WJ after a trip I routinely find rocks that she liked and snuck in along the way. I think at times the ride home the WJ is heavier than the ride out. I live in a river flood plain full of rocks and gravel, and have plenty in my head as well. The last thing I need is more rocks at home!!

Ethan N

Local Expert, East Region USA

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Car + Trailer = Heavy
Car Only = Medium
Backpack = Light
Yeah, a lot of replies here have taken packing "light or heavy" as a literal question. What I meant was do you carry only the basics to survive or do you like to bring comfort items just because you can. IE: Laptops to watch movies, freezer full of ice cream, a fishtank with your prized Koi, stuff like that.

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Car + Trailer = Heavy
Car Only = Medium
Backpack = Light
Yeah, a lot of replies here have taken packing "light or heavy" as a literal question. What I meant was do you carry only the basics to survive or do you like to bring comfort items just because you can. IE: Laptops to watch movies, freezer full of ice cream, a fishtank with your prized Koi, stuff like that.
Exactly! You can pack fairly light even with a truck/trailer combo, or very heavy with just one vehicle. The sweet spot is the balance between comfort and basic utility. Discomfort lessens the enjoyment of overlanding and we aren’t motivated to repeat this activity. Being comfortable is positive reinforcement - consider your sleeping setup or having warm, appetizing food after a long day.
Excessive “stuff” means we spend time fussing with the “stuff” and not relaxing. More junk to pack, unpack, set up, sift through and it simply clutters your vehicle. Having to unpack most of your vehicle to find one item, such as a medkit, is frustrating.
I’m constantly reassessing after each trip to find that Goldilocks balance.