Do I need to use a rack to have a 270* awning?

• HTML tutorial

naysjp

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Renay
Last Name
Johnson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6DHG
I would like to put on a 270 degree awning on my JKU hardtop but I don't have a rack/basket on top. I won't(for safety reasons) store items on top of the roof so that is why I never got a basket. Is there another way to have that awning without a rack/basket? I have looked at racks and it seems every rig that has an awning has a rack/basket. I found a DIY awning that I can make myself but the bracket is mounted on the person's basket on his truck. Maybe some people can chime in with another alternative to mount the bracket on without a basket on the hardtop. I'm excited to start doing some DIY projects for my Jeep that are functional and be able to steer those funds towards larger items.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

There are companies that make brackets that allow one to mount an awning directly to a roof rack rail, without requiring a rack. Here is an example for a 4Runner:

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

Assuming your jeep has a hard top, you could get a set of Thule bars that mount to the rain gutters then fab up some brackets that attach to them and you awning. Another option would be to just get the side rails from Teraflex and mount your awning to that. The Teraflex bars do requie drilling into your hardtop. I have the the Teraflex system and have my ARB mounted to it.

Enthusiast I

Scappoose, OR, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Garcia
I would definitely rack mount it for sure, if I’m not mistaken the hard tops on jeeps are fiberglass or a similar composite material so you would want to have plate underneath as well to spared the force of the bracket out if you did DIY but the rack system offers that plus it’s distributed weight design offers the strength of both sides of your rig!

What 270 awning are you planning on using?

naysjp

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Renay
Last Name
Johnson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6DHG
I would definitely rack mount it for sure, if I’m not mistaken the hard tops on jeeps are fiberglass or a similar composite material so you would want to have plate underneath as well to spared the force of the bracket out if you did DIY but the rack system offers that plus it’s distributed weight design offers the strength of both sides of your rig!

I am making my awning. I found it on youtube. Made the bracket, just figuring out the mounting portion of this product. Looking at the cost and knowing that I can weld, I decided to make it instead of spending the amount of money awnings cost.

Reactions: Flatwatertherapy

Enthusiast I

Scappoose, OR, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Garcia

I am making my awning. I found it on youtube. Made the bracket, just figuring out the mounting portion of this product. Looking at the cost and knowing that I can weld, I decided to make it instead of spending the amount of money awnings cost.
Well did you figure out your own mounting system?

naysjp

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Renay
Last Name
Johnson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6DHG
No. still trying to figure out how I can do this without mounting a basket. There will be brackets under the hardtop attached to the roll bar for strength but I may end up getting a basket and racks which negates the DIY effect.

Reactions: Flatwatertherapy

Enthusiast I

Scappoose, OR, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Garcia
No. still trying to figure out how I can do this without mounting a basket. There will be brackets under the hardtop attached to the roll bar for strength but I may end up getting a basket and racks which negates the DIY effect.

What rig are we on again? Can I see your rooftop?

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

I would like to put on a 270 degree awning on my JKU hardtop but I don't have a rack/basket on top. I won't(for safety reasons) store items on top of the roof so that is why I never got a basket. Is there another way to have that awning without a rack/basket? I have looked at racks and it seems every rig that has an awning has a rack/basket. I found a DIY awning that I can make myself but the bracket is mounted on the person's basket on his truck. Maybe some people can chime in with another alternative to mount the bracket on without a basket on the hardtop. I'm excited to start doing some DIY projects for my Jeep that are functional and be able to steer those funds towards larger items.
I have my awning hanging on the roof bars. But I have a very solid aluminium topper and roof bars. On the previous car, I had Rhino rack heavy duty roof bars , with a 75 kg ( 150 LBS ) rating and the awning was fine. The brackets supplied with the awning fitted perfectly, they bolted straight on the bars. A roof rack by itself will probably take almost half of whatever your roof is rated for...
Roof racks look cool, but most of the time they are just useless weight in the worse spot, if you can get away without one you will be better off with the handling off road, wind noise and fuel economy..