DIY trailer RTT mounting question.

• HTML tutorial

coronausmc

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

This question is for those of you that have built or are planning on building a trailer. How did you guys mount your RTT? Did you guys built a rack for the trailer or did you install Yakima (or similar), cross bars? Was there an existing bedrack you can use? Thanks in advance. Pics will also help, if nothing else.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

Red Beard

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mexia, Texas
Member #

I am in the process of building my trailer now. My plan is to build an adjustable height rack with gas shocks to raise the tent when in use and lower it for transportation.

Reactions: coronausmc

Johnnie Canuck

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

image.jpg image.jpg I was lazy.... So i just made a simple rack. There are some rails you can source from truck outfitter companies. Thule for example did have a aluminum extruted rail that came in 3' lengths.

Rubiconcruiser

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

So Georgia
Member #

This question is for those of you that have built or are planning on building a trailer. How did you guys mount your RTT? Did you guys built a rack for the trailer or did you install Yakima (or similar), cross bars? Was there an existing bedrack you can use? Thanks in advance. Pics will also help, if nothing else.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app
A simple rack with 3 cross bars for support works best (two) it's a bit shaky in the wind

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Sidetrekked Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Possum Kingdom Lake, Texas
First Name
David and Dayna
Last Name
Coston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5NXU GMRS:WROE726
Service Branch
USMC
I used square tubing that I ran down the side edges of the trailer and then two other pieces of square tubing across the width of the trailer but on top of the other tubing so they are raised up and then mounted my rtt to those cross bars. I think it's 2" square tubing and then buy the plastic inserts for the ends and it looks great. I also covered them with bed liner so they are black.

APtrail2005

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Kalispell Montana
Member #

I bought a simple ladder rack for a pickup. Mounted it to my side rails and painted it with black undercoating. Working on a way to adjust the height for transport.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I was lucky because the previous owner of my trailer fabbed a rack using 1x1 bar stock with the intention of installing a RTT and mounted it with a piano hinge running the length of the trailer. There are some limitations with that setup but a benefit is the RTT acts as a lid, albeit not dust/water tight. I've considered raing the rack for easier access in to the trailer but am hesitant to raise the CG on an off-road trailer.

IMG_1240.JPG

IMG_2345.JPG

Last edited:

4S50

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Stef
image.jpeg image.jpeg I made a simple rack with 1" square tube and bolted the tent to that. The table is mounted under the tent. This pic is the rack uPside down when I added the table rack.