diy tire chains?

• HTML tutorial

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

i saw a post about this from a few years back. all the pictures are unavailabe now. anyone try this recently? they are not cheap to buy, so if i could save $100 or so, im all in. some stuff online other places, but looking for stuff that has actual tested use in overland applications, not stuff that might work maybe on a pontiac sunfire. willing to buy some if diy is not feasable, safe or cost effective.

58-fc170

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

A set of these should have you all set (make sure you get the size for your tires). Building your own rarely saves any money by the time you get all the parts.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Tire chains can cause some serious damage if they come loose. May wanna splurge and make sure to buy a set from a reputable company. If they come loose not only will it damage the body work of your vehicle but can also wrap around a CV shaft and cause you to break down somewhere, or even worse...it could cause death if it were to fly off and hit the vehicle behind you. Just my .02 Stay safe!

Reactions: Sparky and T-One

58-fc170

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Agree on the safety aspect. I would avoid the elastic "tensioned" type and learn how to properly tension the metal clasp type (used on heavy semis for decades). Also I am pretty sure chains are illegal on public roadways, so they should only be in use off road and at low speeds.

Scarab

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hastings - England
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Barrett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M6ZZS
If you're running stock height and setup on your suspension/braking components (around here!?) it's always worth checking manufacturers guidelines. Some aren't suitable to work with the clasp types of chains.

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

im certainly not adverse to purchasing some as opposed to building them. seemed like a interesting project if it was feasable. i dont want to thrash my truck with a broken chain. lots of the diy i have seen seemed a little mickey mouse, so thats why i asked here if anyone had luck building some. a good set would open up more driving locations and improve some safety. a poor set could be a disaster.

58-fc170

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Making them yourself is possible and I have made a few sets, mainly for tractors or things with odd size tires that ones weren't available for. My personal favorite is the diamond pattern like you would find on a log skidder. That type seem to resist sliding sideways on ice the best.

On a side note, keep in mind chains provide a huge amount of grip and can be hard on CV joints and u joints alike. Especially when spinning them in snow and they grab onto something solid. That is a lot of shock load for an axle. Also many miles will cause some wear to the outside of the tire as well.

What conditions are you planning to utilize the chains in?

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

What conditions are you planning to utilize the chains in?
the forestry roads are plowed at the discression of the logging company. chains would extend the driving on the roads that arent plowed by a few weeks. deep snow mainly. once in a while we are driving back in different conditions we drove in in. like a big dump of snow and a big freeze while we are camping. the road can change a lot overnight. in those times, just getting back can be a challange.
nothing high speed for sure. i run winter tires all year, so the highways are pretty much no problem.

T-One

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austria
First Name
Anton
Last Name
Hofmann
Member #

Hi,

small story:

i grew up in an austrian ski resort. The resort was sectioned into upper and lower town and at in the middle of the connecting street, a rather steep 1 km long completly straight road, my parents had a hotel at about 2000 meters above sea level. So everyone on the way to the upper part of the town passed the hotel and so many got stuck. The standard german tourist is a wise little fella and always tries first, after short time most notice their lack of driving skills when snow is involved and reversing on a steep icy road is not as easy as many may think it looked while watching the locals plow through the snow in their audi quattros.

So on days with heavy snowfall, especially on saturdays when most of the tourists arrived, we watched the glorious spectacle.
Many times about 50 cars, filled with people who have no idea on how to setup chains, what chains fit the tires, what good chains are or that snow tires are a necessity in the alps.

I've seen chains wrapped around drive shafts destroying breaking hoes and tire sensors, chains that ripped fist sized holes into the wheel housing, chains on the rear axle on front drive cars, chains preinstalled on another set of tires in the trunk and no, a 4x4 with summer tires won't do the job. I have no idea how many worthless crap chains i had in my hands over all the years, but it think i've pretty much seen them all.

If you need chains for virtually every winter, do yourself a favor and buy a set of good ones, not the flimsy stuff with little gimmicks and strange lock mechanisms.
I recommend the pewag austro super or forstmeister (i got mine handed on by my dad, i think they are about 30 years old now and probably will last generations) or something with a similiar old school locking mechanism suitable for the use with gloves, something so many chains fail at.

Last edited:

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I have a set of Z-Chains . for stock sized snow tires that I use. I haven't needed them much, so I can't say for sure that they are great, but they work for low clearance (against suspension arms and such) applications. It says they are widely used, but I don't know that I can validate the marketing.

I really don't think it would be possible to run anything on my oversized (from oem) AT tires. Even these are really tight. Check your clearances.

jbooth07

Rank 0

Traveler I

Here in CO, certain highways and interstates during the winter require M/S tires but chains are also allowed especially going over a Pass. I've used chains many times on snow packed roads and snow wheeling. I haven't used the X looking chains which I actually might look into but the traditional cross tread chain. Get a quality tensioner. I see truckers drape their chains, I lay mine out and drive over, I'm usually with another person in that environment so they help guide me. This is my reasoning: draping doesn't allow you to get them as snug right off the bat plus your on you side in the snow reaching around the tire. Driving onto them I realized I can get them much tighter initially and I'm not covered in road brine. After putting the tensioner on I drive a little bit so it settles then get out and readjust. Sometimes I have to readjust the chain itself, most times it's just the tensioner. My 2c.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: 4xFar Adventures