Launch Member

Contributor I

Richmond Virginia
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Madren
Member #

I’m a new member so I figured I’d make a post about my camper and see what overland bound is all about! I wish I had started a thread or something when I started building the camper but if anyone has any questions just ask.

Reactions: ODOverland

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I Ultra-Tow Stub Torsion Axles Pair, 1000-Lb. Capacity per Pair | Northern Tool + Equipment
I used these axles because they were cheap but hopefully I’ll upgrade them eventually. I haven’t taken it off-road yet but it does will on roads.
That’s cool. Mine uses the stock tube axle and leaf springs. I’ve got 11 years of travels on her, plus two trips to Wyoming. last year my daughter and I did part of the Enchanted Rockies Trail while pulling the rear. I’m thinking I’m probably pushing the edge of the envelope when it comes to washboard roads and such. On the other hand, I just hate driving on those anyway.
94213826-6823-47A4-A203-A9BA1E597225.jpeg1A7100F8-B35F-4061-B2CE-584F85B125FE.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: TacomaSparky

TacomaSparky

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Richmond Virginia
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Madren
Member #

That’s cool. Mine uses the stock tube axle and leaf springs. I’ve got 11 years of travels on her, plus two trips to Wyoming. last year my daughter and I did part of the Enchanted Rockies Trail while pulling the rear. I’m thinking I’m probably pushing the edge of the envelope when it comes to washboard roads and such. On the other hand, I just hate driving on those anyway.
View attachment 122944View attachment 122946
I’m hoping mine will last that long! What did you seal the wood with?

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I used CPES on the bare wood. Hint, be sure you’re done cutting and trimming before you do it, the wood becomes rock hard. It’s also not a UV block, so I’ve got spar varnish on her. finally she stays in the garage unless out camping.

Reactions: TacomaSparky

TacomaSparky

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Richmond Virginia
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Madren
Member #

Do you have a set of plans that you sued to build this? What kind of trailer did you use for the base?
I’ve kinda just been doing it by looking at thinks so there isn’t any plans for it unfortunately. The trailer was free from my grandma but I had to chop it down to a smaller size and weld it back together.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I kinda very loosely merged three sets of plans, plus a lot of TLAR, when I built mine. Many teardrop builders do the same.

Reactions: Mudraider

TacomaSparky

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Richmond Virginia
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Madren
Member #

869C3972-6B3A-4E80-9DFE-1C50F569F884.jpeg
When I first built the camper I built a wall at about 6’ 2” but after going to overland expo east I’ve decided to redesign the rear wall.

TacomaSparky

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Richmond Virginia
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Madren
Member #

F7D4E791-EC30-42A1-A553-7FCC82BF6FED.jpeg
The counter top and wall used to be where the walls are not stained 450D9078-63B5-4C51-AB2B-0634A5563FD4.jpeg
The new design allows me to have more leg room inside and I’ll be able to fit a dometic under the counter

Reactions: Sparksalot

persquank

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

Looks nice so far. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

TacomaSparky

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Richmond Virginia
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Madren
Member #