DIY simple solution to a cheep Toyota factory Roof Rack for RTT.

• HTML tutorial

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

This may work on other brand of trucks, but came up with this idea after looking at everything from a whole new rack from Baja Designs, Yakima, Thule and others.

3rd. Gen 4Runner Toyota factory racks have a static load capacity of 165 lbs. with the Two supplied towers and cross bars. My Gordigear Explorer Plus, is about 115 lbs. After pricing the above aftermarket Roof Racks I thought this was just to much to spend if I did not really need to. Some want to use a Roof Rack for more than just mounting an RTT, but I did not. Some even just use the Toyota factory Rack with a RTT like mine, and just the Two cross bar system. Not sure I feel safe? I read a DIY solution using Simttybuilt DS6 Roof Rack brackets and steel Uni-strut. I even ordered the brackets and got a price on the 13/16” Uni-strut. Could not sleep and the thought came to me, why not just double up the factory cross bars? Called a couple of auto recyclers, ( junkyards) and found some for $20. a piece! So, here is my cheap Toyota factory Roof Rack mod! Vance.
DD5D68C9-A48F-4037-B924-DF74F0CF31F0.jpegA2212912-319B-4602-9522-849A9FAD13E7.jpeg

Reactions: SubeeBen

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Jku Ben,
My new to me Gordigear Explorer Plus, needs to be off the ground and on my runner for now. Want it mounted safely to my roof. Some time, I want to try it on my XJ Cherokee too? Nice to be able to have it for both. Just have to get some more hardware to finish my install of the RTT, and maybe some type of Wind fairing if needed. Plus a strong friend or Two. Besides, kinda fun Building it and and playing with it! Oh, I mean Overlanding! Yah, I love it! Vance.