Majorbacon8r

Rank 0

Traveler I

MN
First Name
Hunter
Last Name
Bacon
Anyone got roofop tent ideas? Over the bed.

I was thinking because I’m cheap I could build a really strong frame out of wood and smooth and paint it to look similar to metal. I would use this to store items as well, and figuring it’s wood if I get the right stuff it’ll be pretty strong. Just a thought...

Otherwise, what are your guys’ recommendations? I would prefer no welding required.

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

Anyone got roofop tent ideas? Over the bed.

I was thinking because I’m cheap I could build a really strong frame out of wood and smooth and paint it to look similar to metal. I would use this to store items as well, and figuring it’s wood if I get the right stuff it’ll be pretty strong. Just a thought...

Otherwise, what are your guys’ recommendations? I would prefer no welding required.
I'm not sure wood would work. I'm running a Leitner design rack but have also ran frontrunner and some custom stuff as well. You could get a way with some simple tube steel running across that is bolted to the top of the bed rail.

What year f150?

Majorbacon8r

Rank 0

Traveler I

MN
First Name
Hunter
Last Name
Bacon
I'm not sure wood would work. I'm running a Leitner design rack but have also ran frontrunner and some custom stuff as well. You could get a way with some simple tube steel running across that is bolted to the top of the bed rail.

What year f150?
2011... [emoji28]... don’t judge me I’m an XJ guy [emoji23]

Majorbacon8r

Rank 0

Traveler I

MN
First Name
Hunter
Last Name
Bacon
I bought used RTTs on craigslist. One for $250, one for $300. Both in great shape. For that price there is no way I would consider building my own.

James
If I can find one around that price I’ll go for it, with those tents do you need to have a frame for the back to mount it on or can you just do the cab?

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

If I can find one around that price I’ll go for it, with those tents do you need to have a frame for the back to mount it on or can you just do the cab?
All RTT need a frame to be mounted on. Some cross bars..... I have a 2012 f150. If you have Instagram check out @xpeditionoutfitters or @overlandf150 for pictures.

Majorbacon8r

Rank 0

Traveler I

MN
First Name
Hunter
Last Name
Bacon
All RTT need a frame to be mounted on. Some cross bars..... I have a 2012 f150. If you have Instagram check out @xpeditionoutfitters or @overlandf150 for pictures.
I’ve been drooling over your build for years!
I meant to ask if I could use roof rails to mount it on the cab, if not I’ll definitely look into getting a frame for the back

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

I’ve been drooling over your build for years!
I meant to ask if I could use roof rails to mount it on the cab, if not I’ll definitely look into getting a frame for the back
Yes you can mount it to the cab with some rails. Just make sure they are strong enough to hold up the weight.

Reactions: Majorbacon8r