Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Did you buy or DIY mounts? I'm switching mine up and trying to figure out the best method to mount mine similar to yours.

Rokketz

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Washburn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5ATP
Did you buy or DIY mounts? I'm switching mine up and trying to figure out the best method to mount mine similar to yours.
i just used some 5/16ths by 5" threaded bolts (4) , and a two inch flat stock aluminum strips (width of the tracks) , drilled the holes for the bolts, used nylock nut to hold the bolt to the aluminum strip then used the twist handle bolts (from Home depot in the garden power tools section) to cinch them down, I did have to use a 2" piece of 1/2" conduit as a spacer for each bolt so the twist handle would have clearance to tighten down the tracks...then i used aluminum rivets to mount the flat stock aluminum to my roof rack.

JnP’s Overland

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor II

Smyer Texas
First Name
James
Last Name
Harding
Member #

Oh ok I used super struts from hardware store for cross bars to mount my rtt and roof rack on. Just seeing what else was out there

Reactions: Rokketz

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I like the idea of the thumb nuts to hold them down but, I would worry about them becoming loose. I am not sure that is even a problem. I wonder if it would be worth it to drill a small hole in each thumb nut for an automotive hair pin clip and link them to each other like you would do a safety wire so they oppose each other to pull each other tight.

Reactions: Road

Rokketz

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Washburn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5ATP
I like the idea of the thumb nuts to hold them down but, I would worry about them becoming loose. I am not sure that is even a problem. I wonder if it would be worth it to drill a small hole in each thumb nut for an automotive hair pin clip and link them to each other like you would do a safety wire so they oppose each other to pull each other tight.
The thumb nuts have nylon inserts to keep them from backing off like you me tioned

Rokketz

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Washburn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5ATP
The thumb nuts have nylon inserts to keep them from backing off like you me tioned
They were like $3.75 for a set of two at Home Depot. The bolts were like $3 with nylon nuts and washers. I already had the flat bar aluminum and the EMT conduit left over from prior DIY projects. But all in all I would say I had like $10 maybe $15 total in the build. I may end up mounting my hi lift on top the tracks will see if I have clearance or not. Trying to keep things low profile as possible.

Rokketz

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Washburn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5ATP
Oh ok I used super struts from hardware store for cross bars to mount my rtt and roof rack on. Just seeing what else was out there
yep, those are great, i have them on my FJ Cruiser between my rhino rack side rails...very strong and configurable (not to easy to drill through though)

JnP’s Overland

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor II

Smyer Texas
First Name
James
Last Name
Harding
Member #

Have you seen the locking knob for hi lift jack mount might be so to look at they come with a key for them