DIY extra reverse light hidden

• HTML tutorial

scalman

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Lithuania
So reverse lights are bad on most cars to begin with. You cant see well in dark when you parking in dry weather but in rain or fog it becomes almost impossible.
Many do just extra led lights on roof rack when modifying car a lot for overlanding offrading but what if you want to keep that stock look and not blind anyone when reversing. Well my cheap version of it.
And they very hidden , you wouldnt even see them while standing.

Kardolf

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Washington
First Name
David
Last Name
Uthmann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7LZJ
Do you have a link to the models you used?

scalman

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Lithuania
Last edited:

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFC851
That looks good! Gives just about a factory look. I know they are waterproof, do you think there's any risk of leakage where the wires run into the light itself?

scalman

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Lithuania
That looks good! Gives just about a factory look. I know they are waterproof, do you think there's any risk of leakage where the wires run into the light itself?
They waterproof itself that black thing is just for looks it doesnt cover anything from anything so that place where wire connected will get water and get damaged in time, as it was for me on previous car but you just resolder wire or maybe change wire for better one at first place and they work again. I though maybe protect that place somehow like with hot glue on top, but then it will just be more problem if you would need change wire later.
I can take pic how they look without that black cover as you can use them without it.
Well that cover is just holds like that

But they so cheap and those i used allready like 4 years still works just resolded wires one time.

Last edited:
Reactions: SinisterJK

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I put em there so folks could see me reversing out of parking spots and off road. They dont shoot out far maybe 3-4 ft but they are floods they light up the whole rear area. Id imagine you could just tap into your existing reverse and run wires about anywhere not sure the stock wiring could handle it.

scalman

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Lithuania
I put em there so folks could see me reversing out of parking spots and off road. They dont shoot out far maybe 3-4 ft but they are floods they light up the whole rear area. Id imagine you could just tap into your existing reverse and run wires about anywhere not sure the stock wiring could handle it.
Nice. What about trailer lights plug that is in trunk on my car. could that handle some small led like 15-20w? Or i need just separate wire from battery for it anyway?

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Check out what amp the fuse for that is, but if its for trailer that ought to be ok if it is a 7 prong the 4 prong dont have reverse . Mine are tapped in on my trailer 7 prong the middle wire is reverse and they are grounded to chassis.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Id guess on a subaru you dont have a 7 prong socket since you wouldnt likely be towing a trailer big enough to need aux power, brakes and reverse. If i were in your position id get a light harness off amazon and re wire to the relay so that you get power from battery and a wire from your stock reverse to trigger the relay and from there wire the lights to the relay and have a dedicated circuit for em with their own fuse.

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Nice. What about trailer lights plug that is in trunk on my car. could that handle some small led like 15-20w? Or i need just separate wire from battery for it anyway?
I think the trailer plug would work fine. being LED's there not going to draw much amperage and definitely will not draw more than your halogen bulbs that would be on a trailer reverse circuit if it was simulated to be on a trailer. I dont think you'd even pull 20 watts from those LED's, I think you would pull no more than 5-6 watts total combined being LED.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I think the trailer plug would work fine. being LED's there not going to draw much amperage and definitely will not draw more than your halogen bulbs that would be on a trailer reverse circuit if it was simulated to be on a trailer. I dont think you'd even pull 20 watts from those LED's, I think you would pull no more than 5-6 watts total combined being LED.
If he only has a 4 way trailer plug though there is no reverse circuit. Only left and right turn/brake, tail lights and ground. If 5 way or higher he would have reverse(blue wire opposite of ground)

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
If he only has a 4 way trailer plug though there is no reverse circuit. Only left and right turn/brake, tail lights and ground. If 5 way or higher he would have reverse(blue wire opposite of ground)
Very true, I guess I assumed being a factory plug it would have the reverse circuit.

scalman

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Lithuania
yh i might not have reverse on trailer plug true. i think none of subarus have. so thats that then.

if i need more light i would need to take power from battery straight then. something like this 3 way swith would be best so you couod turn it on on demand as well

Attachments

Reactions: Boort

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

yh i might not have reverse on trailer plug true. i think none of subarus have. so thats that then.

if i need more light i would need to take power from battery straight then. something like this
View attachment 140446
Yep. The switch would be optional but might be nice to have to turn on without shifting into reverse.

Bmxj01

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Alvin, TX, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Merrick
Member #

Looks great, It looks really bright for being in factory location. I installed a set of Baja designs S2 sports for rear lights. Hooked them up to my MLC-6 so I can turn on and off as needed. 109.jpg147.jpg

Reactions: scalman

Troy Carroll

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bakersfield, CA
First Name
Troy
Last Name
Carroll
Member #

So reverse lights are bad on most cars to begin with. You cant see well in dark when you parking in dry weather but in rain or fog it becomes almost impossible.
Many do just extra led lights on roof rack when modifying car a lot for overlanding offrading but what if you want to keep that stock look and not blind anyone when reversing. Well my cheap version of it.
And they very hidden , you wouldnt even see them while standing.

Pretty shnazzy....