US East DIY Expedition Camper Trailer

• HTML tutorial

Contributor I

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Cornish
Looking to sell my homemade expedition trailer before our new teardrop arrives. The box itself is 4x8 and made out of marine grade plywood that was soaked and sealed with an epoxy cure. The box sits on a Harbor freight trailer that was welded together, has a 2x2 steel tube running down the middle for rigidity and has an upgraded 3500lb axle with two 13" high speed load D rated tires and a spare. The whole trailer was painted with two coats of Durabak bedliner (navy uses for their ships) which is extremely durable. All the doors were custom made by Champion Doors and are keyed alike. On the roof there are two 100 watt solar panels, a yakima track and aero bars which will easily support a roof top tent and an 8' ARB awning. Inside is just set up for storage and kitchen. The front door has a pull out kitchen with locking hinges and another drawer slides and locks from that with stove and a 12v faucet/pump. There's a small drawer for silverware and a lid that lifts up from the cutting surface to access plates and cups. There's also a fuse panel and breakers for interior lights, faucet, inverter and the 12v cooler. The next door over is just for storing camping gear and food while you're camping, there are some shelves built in and a 100ah AGM battery in a battery box. The back has a door that opens to fishing rod storage and kayak paddles that runs the length of the cabin and there's a 2" receiver for a hitch mount bike rack. Built the whole thing in early 2018, taken her out about twenty or so times since then and it gets lots of complements where ever we go.

One of the biggest downsides to the trailer is that it's short. If you're over 5'9 you'll have to duck under the awning as it's 71" from the ground to the awning itself. I know the math isn't adding up there but by the time you angle one side for run off you'll see what I mean. The height can be fixed by putting bigger tires on or custom making a rack that sits higher but that's a pain and not cheap. We are small people so it doesn't bother us. Also since it is shorter it's easier to load kayaks onto. Forgot to mention there are fold down legs that brace the trailer in the back if you decide to go the RTT route. I have no idea what to ask for price-wise but I'm just going to throw $4k OBO out there. If anyone thinks I'm smoking crack please don't hesitate to let me know. If anyone is interested I"m happy to send more pictures. Also I'm not intending to add the three fly rod vault up top but if it helps the sale I'd consider it. Last thing the driveway is too narrow to open the kitchen all the way so I'll pull it out and post better pics in the near future. Thanks for looking.

IMG_4102.jpgIMG_4101.jpgIMG_4100.jpgIMG_4099.jpgIMG_4098.jpgIMG_4097.jpgIMG_4096.jpg