• HTML tutorial

nelsoncycles

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

Columbus, OH
Member #

So I decided to build a built in cooler for the Trooper. I decided to build rather than use one of the many quality roto molded coolers due to making use of an odd shape and increasing the insulation over that of the "Yeti" style coolers. I don't need the durability of a roto molded cooler as I will keep it on a full extension drawer track and it will only be removed from the rig when it is empty.

I have built the insulation part of the box using 2" pink foam insulation. 4" walls and lid with a robust 6" of bottom insulation. I decided to forgo a drain as they tend to leak cool air which sinks to the bottom of the cooler. The whole project is taped sealed. Now its time for fiberglass to make it easy to clean and truly waterproof. I'll post some pictures as the project continues.

I anticipate the cooler should be able to hold 25lbs of ice and keep the coolers contents cold for 7+days (hoping significantly on the + side with the extra insulation and lack of drain or intrusions from handle or hinge cut outs). I also want to use this cooler box as a warm box for extreme cold weather camping when keeping water liquid is a serious problem that wastes tons of fuel.

Any input is great! does Anyone else have something like this? What do you think?

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

If you kept your sides even you should be fine. I went to modify a premade storage case and the molding just threw the dimensions out.

Typed on a smallish quadrilateral of aluminosilicate glass, a task that would have been unimaginable to most people even a few short years ago. mistakes are inevitable.

nelsoncycles

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

Columbus, OH
Member #

@Shizzy The game plan is that it will be located closest to the half door at the rear of the truck. The cooler will be able to be removed but it won't ever be used as a stand alone cooler. I was also thinking for loading and unloading purpose I could empty everything out and then siphon out the water. Then with a bailing sponge (used for kayaking) I could get the remaining few ounces of water out without trouble. The mounting bracket that will attach the cooler to the floor will be a couple bolts or I may just use studs with wing nuts if the draining is too much trouble.

Reactions: SeguineJ and Steve