DIY Camping & Storage Drawers - Blueprints finally completed!

• HTML tutorial

TheAdventureIndex

Rank V
Investor

Member III

San Mateo,CA
Member #

Hi all,

As many of you may know, I made some storage drawers for my 4th gen Toyota 4runner years ago. I made the blueprints free and lots of people have enjoyed them since. So much so, that I was able to hire an engineering team to help me develop plans for 5th Gen 4runner, and 2nd/3rd Gen Tacoma (with hopefully even more platforms on the way!)

Unfortunately, like with any construction project, thsi was not as easy as I expected, and engineering costs ran over (by about $2k!!!! :( )

As a result, I unfortunately cannot make the storage solution free anymore, however the parts list still is public and free. :)

Nonetheless, I feel the $40 for these plans are well worth the time and energy saved, and I hope they will fuel revenue to be put toward future platforms as well.

Listed below is a video and some 5th gen reference pics for your enjoyments, sorry these too so long!

Click here for the full album
Click here for 5th Gen adaptions
Click here for the Youtube Video

Click Here to get the plans

Enjoy! (and if youve build these yourself already, please post some pics here!!!! )
-Adam

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
If you had this for 1st gen Frontier and Xterra I would be out $80 faster than I could blink lol these are awesome!
Thank you, maybe one day we can! i have measurements for the xterra already.....
Already got approval from the wife if/whenever the xterra plans are ready!

I’m curious how much supplies/parts cost for these and about the side pieces. Do they have storage space as well?

TheAdventureIndex

Rank V
Investor

Member III

San Mateo,CA
Member #

If you had this for 1st gen Frontier and Xterra I would be out $80 faster than I could blink lol these are awesome!
Thank you, maybe one day we can! i have measurements for the xterra already.....
Already got approval from the wife if/whenever the xterra plans are ready!

I’m curious how much supplies/parts cost for these and about the side pieces. Do they have storage space as well?
check out the website and look at the parts list, it's totally itemized by price! You could always download the 4Runner plans and adapt them for your needs...

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Hi all,

As many of you may know, I made some storage drawers for my 4th gen Toyota 4runner years ago. I made the blueprints free and lots of people have enjoyed them since. So much so, that I was able to hire an engineering team to help me develop plans for 5th Gen 4runner, and 2nd/3rd Gen Tacoma (with hopefully even more platforms on the way!)

As a result, I unfortunately cannot make the storage solution free anymore, however the parts list still is public and free. :)

Nonetheless, I feel the $40 for these plans are well worth the time and energy saved, and I hope they will fuel revenue to be put toward future platforms as well.
-Adam
@Mrprez, @Dusther210

As Adam @TheAdventureIndex mentions the plans can be modified for other vehicles or needs. I received an early copy of the plans just after I got my 4th Gen. I modified the plans to make the drawer set less modular, taller and lighter. Then added a sleeping platform. In this process I needed to rework the dimensions and make a new profile for the top side flaps to interface correctly with the higher area on the 4Runner where they would be in contact. The same processes would be used for modifying the plans from 4Runner to Xterra or Tacoma to Frontier. If you plan to make these modification let me know and I can help provide more details on how I made the modifications.

@DoaneDoane If I remember correctly from when I modified the plans to meet my needs the overall height of the 4th Gen 4Runner box was just a bit under 11".

Regards,
Boort

Reactions: TheAdventureIndex