DIY Camper Window Protectors?

• HTML tutorial

vidkun

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bentonville, AR
Member #

Anyone have a lead on some similar material as these? Or even better, a write up on someone's DIY version of these 'screen protectors'?

http://www.leer.com/?d=3&dt=120

I'm at the point where the dogs will need to go in the bed of the truck instead of the cab with us. So I want to cover the camper windows with something so that: 1) I can leave the windows open back there for the dogs to have fresh air, and 2) there will be something sturdier than the cheap mesh screen between my pit bulls and other people/dogs in random parking lots (just in case).

Open to any thoughts, tips, suggestions. Thanks!

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I remember some of the land rover camel vehicles had some nice window protection. It might give you some ideas.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@vidkun
Anyone have a lead on some similar material as these? Or even better, a write up on someone's DIY version of these 'screen protectors'?
http://www.leer.com/?d=3&dt=120
I don't have a link to a DIY on those screen protectors, but looking at the Leer product you linked to it should be fairly easy to fabricate for your rig.

The "screen" looks like Steel Hardware Cloth you should be able to get it at your local Hardware store or Farm/Ranch store. It has lots of uses (from keeping animals in/out of specific areas, concrete reinforcement, gardening, etc.) It comes in rolls and can be fairly easily formed. Using minimal tools, I'd do the following:
Make a forming mold in 2 parts
1) Make a cardboard template of your truck's window frame.
2) Trace the template on to some plywood that is the same thickness at the window frame or thicker.
3) Carefully route the shape of the window frame out of the plywood. If you are good with a router, and use a 1/8" straight cutting bit you should be able to get both parts of the screen mold from one piece of plywood.
4) Cut the Hardware Cloth about 2" larger than your window frame template on both length and width.
5) lay the hardware cloth over the hole in the outer template so that the hole is roughly centered in the cloth, place the other half of the template on the inside of the hole so that you have a 1/8" gap all the way around. now slowly press down and use pliers to help bend the wire screen around the inner template. start with long straight sections and work into the tighter corners. As you bend the screen try not to pop too many of the little welds that hold it together.
6) Once you have it well formed, trim the excess screen flush to the plywood.
7) Remove the formed screen from the mold, and test to see if it fits your window. Make any adjustments as needed.
8) Flip the templates over and repeat steps 4-7 if the other side window is a mirror image of the one you just completed.
9) Pretty it up with some paint and U-channel edge guard something like available at ( http://www.trim-gard.com/dooredgemoldings.html )
10) Mount to your windows with Pan head sheet metal screws into the frame (check and double check your placement of these screws so they don't interfere with the window operation.)

I'd try to use stainless mesh if available in your area, if not I've had good luck using galvanized for many outdoor projects but it does eventually rust.

Boort