Off-Road Ranger I

Pleasant Hill, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
JJJ
Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6VHF
Had my roof rack stolen recently, and I have a trip coming up to Utah. Needed an awning that would attach to the stock roof rails so I made this.
IMG_20170716_111143.jpg

It's made with the following materials:
2 - 1/2" x 6' PVC pipe
2 - 1/2" x 18" PVC pipe
2- 1/2" PVC elbows
2- 7' adjustable tent poles
2- 8' adjustable tent poles
1- 6'x8' tarp
nuts and bolts to attach to roof rails
velcro cable ties

I already had the tent poles from here: http://www.cabelas.com/product/home/tent-repair-replacement-parts%7C/pc/105625080/c/106666380/cabelas-adjustable-height-tent-poles/745910.uts so the cost to me was around $20. I think with the tent poles it would be more like $65

You can't really see too well in the pictures but there is an 18" section of pvc with an elbow that is inserted into the end of each of those horizontal tent poles. They slip on to the ends of the 6' pvc pipe that is attached to the roof.

The only issue I have is that the 6' horizontal pvc pipe attached to the roof has a bit more flex than I'd like. When extending the horizontal tent poles to get the awning taught, the elbows can slip off if I extend them too far. That only happened the first time I set it up though, and I have been careful since then not to try and make it too taught.

Overall really happy though. It goes up and comes down really fast. The tent poles ride inside the rig so there's hardly any weight up high.

IMG_20170712_155030.jpg

awning.jpg

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

That turned out really good. I'm going to make one like that for my trailer.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Thanks for the write-up! I am looking at a DIY awning myself. This gives me a good idea on what direction I want to go. Definitely considering the cull rigid setup so I can use it anywhere without needing to tether it to the ground.

GratefulFozzie

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Pittsburgh
Member #

I found in another diy project if you get the 3/4 inch pvc, you can feed the 1/2inch into it. This could help with the flex somewhat.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Nice work, this is really cool!

Albert Jr

Rank 0

Traveler I

This is awesome. I ordered my tarp about two weeks ago along with some thin rope to secure the poles with some tent stakes. I’m still trying to see what I could use for the poles, but I definitely had some sort of a storage bag in mind. I didn’t know exactly how or what material until he brought up the tarp. It’s genius.

Mgc

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

This is awesome. I ordered my tarp about two weeks ago along with some thin rope to secure the poles with some tent stakes. I’m still trying to see what I could use for the poles, but I definitely had some sort of a storage bag in mind. I didn’t know exactly how or what material until he brought up the tarp. It’s genius.
I made a bag for my diy awning from a smaller tarp, jut making sure it was the same length and tarp zippers from come depot. Worked really well and held up for many years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mgc

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Perfect. I was thinking how you kept the tarp storage closed. How hard was it to put the zippers on the tarp?
Not hard pretty much just have to get your measurements right, make sure you give yourself enough room to seam the edges of the tarp. I used gafers tape then sew that part as zippers are limited in length. As for zippers they pretty much tape in to the tarp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eddiebrs

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Phoenix, Az, USA
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Barrows
Member #

Great setup. I’ve been looking to do something like this. Gonna steal this idea[emoji1360]