DIY awning

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

Matt4Runner

Rank 0

Contributor II

Had my roof rack stolen recently, and I have a trip coming up to Utah. Needed an awning that would attach to the stock roof rails so I made this.
IMG_20170716_111143.jpg

It's made with the following materials:
2 - 1/2" x 6' PVC pipe
2 - 1/2" x 18" PVC pipe
2- 1/2" PVC elbows
2- 7' adjustable tent poles
2- 8' adjustable tent poles
1- 6'x8' tarp
nuts and bolts to attach to roof rails
velcro cable ties

I already had the tent poles from here: http://www.cabelas.com/product/home/tent-repair-replacement-parts%7C/pc/105625080/c/106666380/cabelas-adjustable-height-tent-poles/745910.uts so the cost to me was around $20. I think with the tent poles it would be more like $65

You can't really see too well in the pictures but there is an 18" section of pvc with an elbow that is inserted into the end of each of those horizontal tent poles. They slip on to the ends of the 6' pvc pipe that is attached to the roof.

The only issue I have is that the 6' horizontal pvc pipe attached to the roof has a bit more flex than I'd like. When extending the horizontal tent poles to get the awning taught, the elbows can slip off if I extend them too far. That only happened the first time I set it up though, and I have been careful since then not to try and make it too taught.

Overall really happy though. It goes up and comes down really fast. The tent poles ride inside the rig so there's hardly any weight up high.

IMG_20170712_155030.jpg

awning.jpg

adventure_is_necessary

Rank VI

Influencer III

Emporia, KS
Member #

Thanks for the write-up! I am looking at a DIY awning myself. This gives me a good idea on what direction I want to go. Definitely considering the cull rigid setup so I can use it anywhere without needing to tether it to the ground.

GratefulFozzie

Rank VI

Traveler I

Pittsburgh
Member #

I found in another diy project if you get the 3/4 inch pvc, you can feed the 1/2inch into it. This could help with the flex somewhat.

Albert Jr

Rank 0

Contributor II

This is awesome. I ordered my tarp about two weeks ago along with some thin rope to secure the poles with some tent stakes. I’m still trying to see what I could use for the poles, but I definitely had some sort of a storage bag in mind. I didn’t know exactly how or what material until he brought up the tarp. It’s genius.

Mgc

Rank V

Traveler I

This is awesome. I ordered my tarp about two weeks ago along with some thin rope to secure the poles with some tent stakes. I’m still trying to see what I could use for the poles, but I definitely had some sort of a storage bag in mind. I didn’t know exactly how or what material until he brought up the tarp. It’s genius.
I made a bag for my diy awning from a smaller tarp, jut making sure it was the same length and tarp zippers from come depot. Worked really well and held up for many years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mgc

Rank V

Traveler I

Perfect. I was thinking how you kept the tarp storage closed. How hard was it to put the zippers on the tarp?
Not hard pretty much just have to get your measurements right, make sure you give yourself enough room to seam the edges of the tarp. I used gafers tape then sew that part as zippers are limited in length. As for zippers they pretty much tape in to the tarp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk