Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Central Texas, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Jenkins
Member #

Started looking for options for an awning for my 2007 Expedition. Looked at everything from $40-$50 awnings to $200+. While I was looking, I found some suction cups with “D” rings attached. So, I bought x4 of them and some telescoping handles for paint rollers and well, see the pics.

Seems a good option for now.

I’m sure this is not new, but just thought I’d share.

Attachments

Reactions: Sparksalot and J.W.

CubbyXL7

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Central Texas, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Jenkins
Member #

This is next level brilliant. I'm absolutely stealing this idea.
Thanks! By all means, steal away.

I don’t have room due to my cargo rack, but my intent was to use all x4 of the suction cups at each grommet point for additional security. I’m going to find a strap or bungee to secure the middle of the tarp.

A couple of other things I’ve found already is I intend to tie a short loop at each grommet to hook the “D” ring to. The material around the grommet makes it too thick to easily attach/detach the “D” rings.

The other thing is it seems it will work to extend the tarp over and out from the lift back. The trap will wrap around the hatch and down the side of the truck to the bottom of the windows to provide some side protection to the hatch opening.

Anyway, would be cool to see some pics if you do use it.

#Elmooverland

Reactions: J.W.

CubbyXL7

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Central Texas, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Jenkins
Member #

North of Austin and Pflugerville.
There’s a monthly meetup the first Saturday of the month at Old Settlers Park in Georgetown. Anywhere from 8-15 rigs show up each time.
Thanks for the info.

I had seen that in the events. Was going to try to make the October one and didn’t happen. Will be out of town prepping for a trip to the mountains for the 7 Nov meetup. Definitely going to try and make one soon.