Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

I want a fridge box with a slider. Nothing fancy. I don't need drawers, stove etc. Just a box to house the fridge with a slider for access. The purpose of the box is to allow for proper ventilation and to pack gear on top of, and around it. I can easily make one out of plywood but I prefer something lightweight, like aluminum. I see a lot of people like Goose Gear. I have nothing against them, but my goodness those prices. A basic box and slider cost nearly more than my fridge, battery pack and solar panel combined! I’ve seen some guys who have made some out of 8020, so I’d love to learn more. It seems I could make a basic box for a very reasonable cost. would it be strong enough? If anyone could share some resources for learning how to use and work with 8020 or other aluminum tracks, I would appreciate it. Seems like it would be Erector sets for grownups. I’d like to get poly-plastic panels for the sides as well, but I could also use 1/2” plywood.

Reactions: PeteCole

Seanm26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lynden, WA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Moore
Member #

I can't remember the member off the top of my head but a guy built his entire slide our kitchen with 8020 and documented everything. Michael made a video highlighting it.

Reactions: PapaDave and J.W.

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

I can't remember the member off the top of my head but a guy built his entire slide our kitchen with 8020 and documented everything. Michael made a video highlighting it.
Thanks. I’ll try to find it. I saw a video Michael did with a guy who was a mad-genius, but he didn’t go into too much detail about how to work with the stuff. Just showed his crazy impressive slide out kitchen.

Seanm26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lynden, WA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Thanks. I’ll try to find it. I saw a video Michael did with a guy who was a mad-genius, but he didn’t go into too much detail about how to work with the stuff. Just showed his crazy impressive slide out kitchen.
That is him. You can find a link to the thread in the video description.

surfnturf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor II

Kings Mountain, CA, USA
Member #

I have built some overland cases using 8020. You can find everything you need at 8020.net The stuff is expensive and fairly labor intensive to work with but looks awesome. I think the goosegear products are top notch and are priced very fair for the amount of materials and labor that goes into them. Good luck with your build!

Reactions: theMightyGoose

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

@theMightyGoose @Seanm26

You're looking for @PapaDave and his pull kitchen setup. The thread is over at Tacoma Overland Drawer 2.0

Boort
I've seen that build. If anything, it's almost discouraging. I just want a basic aluminum box with a drawer slide. The stuff looks like it should be easy to work with. But if GooseGear prices really are fair, then maybe that should tell me something. But I got more time than money, and I like to build things. So it's worth a try.

• Sad
Reactions: PapaDave

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

I've seen that build. If anything, it's almost discouraging. I just want a basic aluminum box with a drawer slide. The stuff looks like it should be easy to work with. But if GooseGear prices really are fair, then maybe that should tell me something. But I got more time than money, and I like to build things. So it's worth a try.
I'll check it out. This the kind of info I'm looking for.
GooseGear is fairly priced when you consider that you are paying for them to do all of the R+D then buy and assemble the setup for you. If as you say you have more time than money DIY is the way to go. (See detailed price comparison post regarding a 2 drawer setup here: DIY Kitchen/Storage system for 5th Gen 4runner ) Working with T-slot Aluminum framing is easy almost like playing with Lego Technics sets. Wood is lower cost and may be easier to deal with. I don't know your skills or what tools you have access to. If you are a welder then you can build a lighter stronger system but not sure of the cost as I've not got the skills. See @Michael recent youtube videos on building the custom drawer / fridge setup for OB0000's FJZ80 for more details on this method and it's benefits.

If you stick with building from T-slot Aluminum framing, plan out what you want to build then be sure to check out the 80/20 garage sale on flea-bay they sell seconds, blems and overruns through ebay at a discount.
Also check out tnutz.com, orangealuminum.com, and tslots.com depending on what you are building any of the above may offer alternatives to 80/20 that will work for you. (some times at much lower cost). Being in San Diego you likely have used options as well so keep an eye out for opportunities.

Boort

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
MAD GENIUS YOU SAY........

Haha. Yeah I went a little nuts building my drawer, and now I’m starting up a side business. But guys I gotta tell you it really does change overlanding. Set up and tear down is so quick that I spend more time talking and sitting at the dinner table than worrying about breaking down my kitchen before dark.

Goosegear makes excellent products, but I’ve come to learn that what might seem expensive doesn’t mean that companies are trying to screw people over. Especially smaller companies. When you use top grade components and materials, AND build it here in the US it costs. Just no way around it. So if you are going to invest your hard-earned money make sure it’s going to work great and fulfill the solution you need.

Ulitmately that’s what we are all trying to do is solve the problems we encounter on the trail. So whether you build it or buy it, get out and use it! Boort posted the link above to my build thread and if it helps use it! People helped me along the way so feel free to ask anything you want. And have fun whether it’s a complex DIY or a simple one :)

D9ADF250-EEF0-45DF-98D6-74362E03848B.jpeg

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

GooseGear is fairly priced when you consider that you are paying for them to do all of the R+D then buy and assemble the setup for you. If as you say you have more time than money DIY is the way to go. (See detailed price comparison post regarding a 2 drawer setup here: DIY Kitchen/Storage system for 5th Gen 4runner ) Working with T-slot Aluminum framing is easy almost like playing with Lego Technics sets. Wood is lower cost and may be easier to deal with. I don't know your skills or what tools you have access to. If you are a welder then you can build a lighter stronger system but not sure of the cost as I've not got the skills. See @Michael recent youtube videos on building the custom drawer / fridge setup for OB0000's FJZ80 for more details on this method and it's benefits.

If you stick with building from T-slot Aluminum framing, plan out what you want to build then be sure to check out the 80/20 garage sale on flea-bay they sell seconds, blems and overruns through ebay at a discount.
Also check out tnutz.com, orangealuminum.com, and tslots.com depending on what you are building any of the above may offer alternatives to 80/20 that will work for you. (some times at much lower cost). Being in San Diego you likely have used options as well so keep an eye out for opportunities.

Boort
Good info. I'll check it out. Thank you. I don't know how to weld and not too interested in it. The T-slot aluminum looks like a great solution. The info you've shared will help me a lot. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Reactions: Boort

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

Haha. Yeah I went a little nuts building my drawer, and now I’m starting up a side business. But guys I gotta tell you it really does change overlanding. Set up and tear down is so quick that I spend more time talking and sitting at the dinner table than worrying about breaking down my kitchen before dark.

Goosegear makes excellent products, but I’ve come to learn that what might seem expensive doesn’t mean that companies are trying to screw people over. Especially smaller companies. When you use top grade components and materials, AND build it here in the US it costs. Just no way around it. So if you are going to invest your hard-earned money make sure it’s going to work great and fulfill the solution you need.

Ulitmately that’s what we are all trying to do is solve the problems we encounter on the trail. So whether you build it or buy it, get out and use it! Boort posted the link above to my build thread and if it helps use it! People helped me along the way so feel free to ask anything you want. And have fun whether it’s a complex DIY or a simple one :)

View attachment 146162
That is such an impressive build. I have nothing against the Goose Gear guys, and it's sounds like their products are a fair price. I love supporting companies who are building and innovating here in the USA. But I really prefer to build my own stuff. I love building things and am an experienced woodworker. But I don't want wood solutions for the cars, so the T-slot aluminum looks like the way to go. Having the skills to make custom projects is worth the time and effort it takes to learn. I'd love to tackle bigger projects someday, but I think a basic fridge box would be a good beginner's project. If it goes well, I'd like to build some other projects. It actually looks like a lot of fun. Kinda like Legos for grownups. I might have to watch that video a few times just for inspiration. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

surfnturf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor II

Kings Mountain, CA, USA
Member #

View attachment 146162
Wow... Papadave's unit is amazing! Looks like a high quality well thought out unit. I agree with Papadave, that having a organized pullout system really does change overlanding.

As an avid off-road traveler and owner of a high end cabinet shop, I have built many vehicle based cabinets for myself and friends over the past 35 years. Everything from VW buses, Jeeps, Broncos, Vans and more. The amount of engineering, experimenting, materials, and labor that goes into each design is incredible. Truly a labor of love.

I've experienced with all kinds of materials, and methods to build my cases and have found that using roadcase aluminum for the framing works great. I build my cases using the same methods to build high end custom cabinetry which requires CNC panel processing to create the blind dado required by the W.I.C. for premium grade cabinetry combined with the lightweight aluminum and panels used in rockband roadcases.

For the DIY builder, I think that the 8020 method is a great way to go. It doesn't require any special tools. Go as detailed as possible when you do your drawings and study all the parts before you order them... they're expensive. If you liked working with an erector set when you were a kid, You'll love building with the 8020! It's a perfect project to work on while waiting out the "Shelter in Place" .

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
That is such an impressive build. I have nothing against the Goose Gear guys, and it's sounds like their products are a fair price. I love supporting companies who are building and innovating here in the USA. But I really prefer to build my own stuff. I love building things and am an experienced woodworker. But I don't want wood solutions for the cars, so the T-slot aluminum looks like the way to go. Having the skills to make custom projects is worth the time and effort it takes to learn. I'd love to tackle bigger projects someday, but I think a basic fridge box would be a good beginner's project. If it goes well, I'd like to build some other projects. It actually looks like a lot of fun. Kinda like Legos for grownups. I might have to watch that video a few times just for inspiration. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Build it! For me the hardest part when I was starting out was understanding how extruded aluminum worked and ordering it. If you are familiar then this is a review, but it all comes down to series. For your build the 10 series is more than enough. The 10 or 1010 series means each extrusion is 1 square inch if you use imperial. Then all the connectors, hinges, plates, T nuts/cams/bolts/etc all fall within the series and play well together. So you can narrow down the million choices for stuff by series. Then you’ll need to decide how you want the extrusion to look as they have standard extrusions, smooth faced, solid sides, rounded etc. Because my unit is a kitchen that I’ll be handling and leaning against I chose rounded. For the corners it’s similar to wood working, are you going to butt or dove tail them. The same is true with extrusions will you butt the corners or use connectors. Triangle connectors are awesome but they cost more than simply butting up the ends. But I love how rounded corners look. :)

For me another challenging aspect was when I built my wood drawer I had a “plan” but winged a number of aspects, but with extruded aluminum I had more detailed blueprints. It’s harder to just wing it (depending on complexity) because you can’t just go to a Home Depot and pick up more. So have some good plans, you can keep it easy by working in whole inches, and know what you want to do. If you want to do a bunch of cutting with aluminum you’ll need a non-ferrous blade. On my chop saw I have a 96 tooth blade that cuts like butter. Or have the extrusions cut to the exact size and tapped if you want. The price for them to prep isn’t really that much compared to the cost for the material, and it’s done exactly.

8020.net has by far the largest selection of almost anything you can ever think of. Tnutz is cheaper but with fewer options. 8020 extrusions are easier to tap yourself, I chucked a 1/4-20 tap and used WD-40 and no problem. Tnutz doesn’t have the center splice on the hole that 8020 does and you have to drill it out, then tap, and its a harder process. Not difficult, but for something like 50 cents an extrusion I opted to build and not be tapping all the time.

Panels...if you don’t want to use 1/4” ply then 8020 has a number of options that cost. I’ve used 1/4” HDPE from a local plastics store and it works pretty well, but HDPE is heavy, expands A LOT in the direct sun, and isn’t that cheap. The drawer we make uses about $400 worth of HDPE. But you can easily cut it, router it, very similar to wood. In the video @Michael makes fun of me for my router work....jerk....so just be sure if you router to move along the edge at the same pace. :)

Other options for panels is aluminum composite material (ACM) is what we use which is awesome and is used on the outside of buildings. Another choice is flight case panels, but often it’s 7mm which is just a wee bit thick and you’ve got to trim it a touch to fit, or one of the 8020 options. Other than ACM your color options will be likely black, grey, or an off white. Just depends how fancy you wanna get.

Hopefully that helps, that’s all stuff I wish I knew. Like Michael said in his drawer video, square tube is cheaper and easier to work with if you use end connectors or know how to weld. But just all depends on what you want. Oh and square tube needs to be prepped to prevent rust.

Have fun and enjoy that good ole DIY pride!

• Haha
Reactions: Michael and Boort

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

Looks like you have an answer now... Get too it, have fun and post up your results when done. I love doing my own projects on my rig. Good luck.
Build it! For me the hardest part when I was starting out was understanding how extruded aluminum worked and ordering it. If you are familiar then this is a review, but it all comes down to series. For your build the 10 series is more than enough. The 10 or 1010 series means each extrusion is 1 square inch if you use imperial. Then all the connectors, hinges, plates, T nuts/cams/bolts/etc all fall within the series and play well together. So you can narrow down the million choices for stuff by series. Then you’ll need to decide how you want the extrusion to look as they have standard extrusions, smooth faced, solid sides, rounded etc. Because my unit is a kitchen that I’ll be handling and leaning against I chose rounded. For the corners it’s similar to wood working, are you going to butt or dove tail them. The same is true with extrusions will you butt the corners or use connectors. Triangle connectors are awesome but they cost more than simply butting up the ends. But I love how rounded corners look. :)

For me another challenging aspect was when I built my wood drawer I had a “plan” but winged a number of aspects, but with extruded aluminum I had more detailed blueprints. It’s harder to just wing it (depending on complexity) because you can’t just go to a Home Depot and pick up more. So have some good plans, you can keep it easy by working in whole inches, and know what you want to do. If you want to do a bunch of cutting with aluminum you’ll need a non-ferrous blade. On my chop saw I have a 96 tooth blade that cuts like butter. Or have the extrusions cut to the exact size and tapped if you want. The price for them to prep isn’t really that much compared to the cost for the material, and it’s done exactly.

8020.net has by far the largest selection of almost anything you can ever think of. Tnutz is cheaper but with fewer options. 8020 extrusions are easier to tap yourself, I chucked a 1/4-20 tap and used WD-40 and no problem. Tnutz doesn’t have the center splice on the hole that 8020 does and you have to drill it out, then tap, and its a harder process. Not difficult, but for something like 50 cents an extrusion I opted to build and not be tapping all the time.

Panels...if you don’t want to use 1/4” ply then 8020 has a number of options that cost. I’ve used 1/4” HDPE from a local plastics store and it works pretty well, but HDPE is heavy, expands A LOT in the direct sun, and isn’t that cheap. The drawer we make uses about $400 worth of HDPE. But you can easily cut it, router it, very similar to wood. In the video @Michael makes fun of me for my router work....jerk....so just be sure if you router to move along the edge at the same pace. :)

Other options for panels is aluminum composite material (ACM) is what we use which is awesome and is used on the outside of buildings. Another choice is flight case panels, but often it’s 7mm which is just a wee bit thick and you’ve got to trim it a touch to fit, or one of the 8020 options. Other than ACM your color options will be likely black, grey, or an off white. Just depends how fancy you wanna get.

Hopefully that helps, that’s all stuff I wish I knew. Like Michael said in his drawer video, square tube is cheaper and easier to work with if you use end connectors or know how to weld. But just all depends on what you want. Oh and square tube needs to be prepped to prevent rust.

Have fun and enjoy that good ole DIY pride!
This is very helpful. I didn't even know where to start. My concern was using the right size/gauge metal to be structurally secure to hold the weight of a loaded fridge when completely pulled out. I also don't want a permanent install, so I want to build it so it can be moved into the garage or the other 4Runner. As for the slide, would you recommend buying Dometic's slider tray and mounting that into the box? The only drawer slides I'm familiar with are cabinet slides which are designed to work in wooden cabinets. I could easily make a 3/4"ply slider and find a way to bolt it into the box, but I'm sure there is a better way. I don't mind buying the Dometic slider and configuring the box around the slider. I think that might be a better way to go.

Reactions: PapaDave and Boort

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
This is very helpful. I didn't even know where to start. My concern was using the right size/gauge metal to be structurally secure to hold the weight of a loaded fridge when completely pulled out. I also don't want a permanent install, so I want to build it so it can be moved into the garage or the other 4Runner. As for the slide, would you recommend buying Dometic's slider tray and mounting that into the box? The only drawer slides I'm familiar with are cabinet slides which are designed to work in wooden cabinets. I could easily make a 3/4"ply slider and find a way to bolt it into the box, but I'm sure there is a better way. I don't mind buying the Dometic slider and configuring the box around the slider. I think that might be a better way to go.
The Dometic slider is probably the easiest way, or order locking slides and build the tray yourself. cabinetparts.com has a wide range of Fulterer locking slides that lock closed and open.

surfnturf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor II

Kings Mountain, CA, USA
Member #

View attachment 146162
The Dometic slider is probably the easiest way, or order locking slides and build the tray yourself. cabinetparts.com has a wide range of Fulterer locking slides that lock closed and open.
I agree with papadave.. The Dometic slider is an excellent solution.

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

I agree. I'll buy the Dometic slider and build the box around it. Thanks again.