Enthusiast III

West Richland, WA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Bell
Member #

Getting a little further ahead.
Went down to a Maker Space where I’d have more room to work but forgot I took the heater out of the case!
Need to install the fuel pump, reroute the fuel line, make a bracket for the heater itself, run and wrap the exhaust, and finish all the wiring.
My goal is to have it fully usable in two weeks.

Attachments

Last edited:

AJ. Adventures

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Edmonton, AB, Canada
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Dycke
Member #

Service Branch
Canadian Veteran
These units are great! I mounted one inside of my Jeep. I had a custom tank made for the diesel and mounted it and the pump on my tire carrier so I don’t have to listen to the pump clicking. At -20C outside it ran for 2.5 days at +20C inside before my aux battery was to low to power it. Only used about 2L of diesel.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Looks clean! Snap a few pics of what you did on the outside: vents, exhaust, wiring, controller. I am planning my own build and have no shame "borrowing" other folk's great ideas! Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: TerraRoamer

Xdtitan

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Made a heat box last yr 8kw heater with a DeWalt tough system roller. I wanted everything contained in the box control panel and power lead plugs into a bulkhead connector on the side heat hose connects using a 3" RV sewer connector have a 7 liter tank. I use the toughsystem for all my camping gear so it makes it all work together for packing up. Got a couple hundred or more hours of use on it, worked great so far

Attachments

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Made a heat box last yr 8kw heater with a DeWalt tough system roller. I wanted everything contained in the box control panel and power lead plugs into a bulkhead connector on the side heat hose connects using a 3" RV sewer connector have a 7 liter tank. I use the toughsystem for all my camping gear so it makes it all work together for packing up. Got a couple hundred or more hours of use on it, worked great so far
I like this set up as well! Lots of room for storage of accessories, plus the box has a built in dolly, so a Solar generator or another storage case or two could be stacked for being moved around the camp site, etc. Nicely done! Gives me ideas!

GX470er

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Merced County, California, United States
First Name
Mauricio
Last Name
Alvarez
Member #

Yes I used the Apache 4800 Case from Harbor freight and the 5KW Diesel Heater.
would you post some details and pics? I’m working on mine and would like to see some ideas? How has it performed?
The unit performed very good. Temperature got down to 20F this night and inside tent was nice and warm. Didn't really need the sleeping bag.

Attachments

Reactions: lhoffm4

GX470er

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Merced County, California, United States
First Name
Mauricio
Last Name
Alvarez
Member #

would you post some details and pics? I’m working on mine and would like to see some ideas? How has it performed?
I got this build Idea from this guy on YouTube. Cleanest build I've seen so far. He used a 2kw diesel heater and the apache 3800 case. I used the 5kw with 4800 case.

Reactions: lhoffm4

NorthRightADV

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Kinderhook, Columbia County, New York, United States
First Name
Jerome
Last Name
Hoffert
Member #

I got this build Idea from this guy on YouTube. Cleanest build I've seen so far. He used a 2kw diesel heater and the apache 3800 case. I used the 5kw with 4800 case.
Thank you. That’s what I was looking for. I have the 4800 case and wanted to do a 5 kw heater. I watched his video a few times on the 2 kw and it is a great build. I just wanted to confirm the 5kw fit well in the 4800 case. Are you happy with the 5 kw or do you think it’s too much. I need to heat a roof top tent and annex in the north east winter. Thank for your help.

Reactions: GX470er

Paasche

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Buenrostro
I went with a Home Depot box and going to scrap it. Not happy and I guess I need to cut a vent for the intake-I thought as long as air was getting in...I have a vent close to it but I guess it's not enough-I keep getting overheating errors when I put the lid on but works perfect without the lid. I may try a Apache case-I did have one and it looked like the 5kw would work. I just ordered a Afterburner controller and may do the silent pump-will see. But yeah when it's working this thing is awesome!

Attachments