Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Richland, WA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Bell
Member #

I hope to have this project finished within two months. Just in time for summer! lol.
The main delay is a 3d printer that I should have in about five weeks.
In the meantime, I am accumulating the parts.

I want this case to be rain and snow proof during transport (bed of truck) and during use.

Could someone recommend plugs and sockets that fit this need?

Please provide input and suggestions!

I will be constructing this based on the YouTube video located at the bottom of this post and Thingaverse 3d files.
The case is larger and the files will be scaled up to match the larger heater.
I will not be including a pc fan nor the voltage regulator as I will be powering it off my 'house' battery of my Off Grid dual battery system.
I also want to run power to the bed with waterproof plug and socket for the heater as well as plug and socket for 12v and dual voltage meter to the tent.

Thank you for any advice you can provide.

TerraRoamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Richland, WA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Bell
Member #

I'm a couple of steps closer!
I picked up a yellow 4800 case from Harbor Freight 4800 Weatherproof Protective Case - X-Large Yellow
This case should work great and I'd much rather cut up a $50 case as opposed to a $200 Pelican.
The thru hull exhaust fitting arrived as well.

Now I'm just waiting on the 3d printer and for suggestions (or make a choice myself) on waterproof electrical plugs and jacks.

Reactions: GX470er

TerraRoamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Richland, WA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Bell
Member #

Well, it got put on hold till next spring.
I proposed to my girlfriend in the beginning of October. We decided to get married in this December 5th! So I gutted my house and put it on the market (rtt and heater are in storage for now).
My house is under contract and once closed we will start the search for a new house with more garage and more space. We already have a buyer for hers, so that will go quickly.
When I get back on it, I’ll post the progress, photos, and results in the thread.
On thing to note, it was a foolish error to use online specs. As it turned out, my heater has the same inner and outer air diameters as the 2kw.

Reactions: PRyan1878

TerraRoamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Richland, WA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Bell
Member #

Well, now that it’s screaming hot out, I’m set to continue this project. Enclosure for the 3D printer arrives this weekend. Once I get that up and running again. I can proceed. I had to abandon the Apache case for a larger Pelican 1550 I had.
I plan on finishing this by August.

Reactions: Viking1204

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Well, now that it’s screaming hot out, I’m set to continue this project. Enclosure for the 3D printer arrives this weekend. Once I get that up and running again. I can proceed. I had to abandon the Apache case for a larger Pelican 1550 I had.
19 days until August, how's it going? BTW, below is another video I found, seems to be all kinds of them on YouTube to help develop your own design. Luckily I live in Florida and even in the Winter we really don't need heaters with a good tent and sleeping bag!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ceg and TerraRoamer

TerraRoamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Richland, WA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Bell
Member #

19 days until August, how's it going? BTW, below is another video I found, seems to be all kinds of them on YouTube to help develop your own design. Luckily I live in Florida and even in the Winter we really don't need heaters with a good tent and sleeping bag!

Work and a new house have been keeping me busy. I’m going to hunt for metal Thursday. Need a piece for the mount bracket and some for other projects.
Once I get the bracket done, it should come together quickly. I’ll have to run a few more parts on the printer and get some wires run.

Paasche

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Buenrostro
I found a heater on Amazon that was sold as new for 60 dollars-couldn't resist trying at that price. Arrived and looks new. Have you gotten any farther on your build? I'm thinking the Apache case as well or might go with something bigger that would hold the fuel as well.

T4R13

Rank IV

Traveler III

Lewis County, West Virginia, United States
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Schriner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8VAF
I can vouch for heater I’ve been using them for years. One in cargo trailer and one in my Rv that I full time in. Solid units but I burn up a fuel pump every winter but there only 12 dollars

TerraRoamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Richland, WA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Bell
Member #

I found a heater on Amazon that was sold as new for 60 dollars-couldn't resist trying at that price. Arrived and looks new. Have you gotten any farther on your build? I'm thinking the Apache case as well or might go with something bigger that would hold the fuel as well.
Only purchasing some 7 wire trailer cable for the truck auxiliary power to the bed. Life seems to have a way of throwing some curve balls.
I need to make a bracket to mount the heater then measure and see what changes need to be made on all the 3D printed parts. I actually want to redesign these to have screw on covers for transportation.

TerraRoamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Richland, WA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Bell
Member #

Got a little done. Almost all holes drilled in case a one Magee part printed out (with an error when I resized the flange). Either modify and reprint or cut the flange to fit.
Lesson learned: Make the parts then drill holes accordingly.
Impatience got the best of me.
Pictures to come.

Paasche

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Buenrostro
I actually got mine working but it doesn't look awesome-but worked well on a trip we just took. Need to keep working it. Your printing some parts? Your using high heat resin?

Reactions: TerraRoamer

TerraRoamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Richland, WA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Bell
Member #

I actually got mine working but it doesn't look awesome-but worked well on a trip we just took. Need to keep working it. Your printing some parts? Your using high heat resin?
I wish!
I have an additive printer. I am currently printing PLA. The only parts that I expect to get some heat are the hot air out flanges on both sides of the case wall.
If that becomes a problem during an extended test run, I'll reprint with PETG.
Exhaust pipe will be wrapped in heat tape.
My ultimate goals are:
1. Be able (for the most part) to seal the unit up for transport in the back of the truck.
2. Be able to screw or lock on caps and the ducting.
3. to have durable and sealed wiring.

I need to find a coupler for the fuel line that will fit right between the case and tank.

Attachments

Last edited:

TerraRoamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Richland, WA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Bell
Member #

Nice.
I should just do the same and have it ready to use for some snow runs this winter.
The other necessary project is to run the power to the bed. I have 10-1, 14-6 trailer wiring but need to figure out how I want to run it and use the extra wires.

Last edited:

TerraRoamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Richland, WA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Bell
Member #

Hot air out coupler designed.
I’ll start the print tomorrow morning.
Went straight to PETG. A couple machine settings need to be changed on the fly, but all seems well so far. 7 more hours to go.
I abandoned the idea of caps and seals at this point. Just want to get it ready for the season.

Attachments

Last edited:

TerraRoamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Richland, WA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Bell
Member #

Why not get one that's already made and ready to go they are only $130
View attachment 215980
Yeah. I looked at those at the time but wanted a sealable and much more rugged platform. I run hard trails and rock crawl as well.
Of course, I’ve temporarily abandoned the sealable idea in exchange for completion before snow wheeling season.
I will redesign the inlet and output to be threaded with screw on caps for transporting.
Besides, this is helping me become proficient with Fusion 360 and additive manufacturing.
I also get a satisfaction when I complete a project of my own doing.

Reactions: GX470er