Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Slovenia
First Name
Matic
Last Name
Repic
Member #

I have developed a passion for overlanding quite some time ago and I always enjoyed working on my own vehicle. However I often found myself half assing and deciding that something is 'good enough' to be put on my car. 3d printing made designing and making prototype parts easy and precise.

My last two projects were printing 'A' pillar gauge pods and designing & printing a CB radio holder.

If you are not yet familiar with designing your own stuff there are websites where people share their designs and you can download them for free. I got this gauge pod file from thingiverse.com (there are also myminifactory.com, pinshape.com etc.)

Or you can design your own. It is not as easy at first, but you'll be designing without any trouble after your first or second project. I use Fusion360 software (it is free for hobbyist and students), but Tinkercad or Sketchup can be easier for a true beginner.
You can also cast the plastic into metal, print with wood filament, make mockup parts so you know it they fit etc.

FDM (Fused Deposition Modeling) 3d printers got really cheap. Like really, really cheap. I got mine more than a year ago and paid somewhere around 350€ (~390$). Though if I would be put in a situation to buy myself my first 3d printer again, I would get a smaller one. The reason behind that is that I rarely need the bigger printing volume. And you can get a great small printer for about 200€ (~225$) - Creality Ender 3 for example with printing volume of 235 x 235 x 250mm (8.6 x 8.6 x 9.4 inches).
Which printer to get is a hard question to answer. But take my advice and start with something cheap and small (but easy to use). See if 3d printing is for you.

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

I have been giving some thought to getting my own. We have done some of it at work. I think I would want something that can do 12" or so.

Reactions: game-on

game-on

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Slovenia
First Name
Matic
Last Name
Repic
Member #

I have the CR-10, which is 11.8 x 11.8 x 15.7 inches. It's nice to have a bit more print volume, but I really only needed the bigger volume a few times. You can still slice the part you want to print into multiple parts and print them separately. But yes, bigger volume is nice to have.

Farmjeepwrangler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Brandon
First Name
Ross
Last Name
Bruno
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG288
I have an ended 3 pro and it was so easy to get started. I'm using tinkercad and have designed several parts for my rig and camper.

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Huelsman
Im actually going through this debate myself as to what to get. For my use, have a list of 6 items right off the bat for my jeep, wife’s jeep and camper and Id want something I could print PETG with.

game-on

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Slovenia
First Name
Matic
Last Name
Repic
Member #

I have an ended 3 pro and it was so easy to get started. I'm using tinkercad and have designed several parts for my rig and camper.
What did you design? Always looking for ideas :grinning:

Im actually going through this debate myself as to what to get. For my use, have a list of 6 items right off the bat for my jeep, wife’s jeep and camper and Id want something I could print PETG with.
PETG is as easy to print as PLA. So you should be fine with whatever you get. Google 'Chris Elkins PETG' to get his S3D slicer profile for PETG - it helped me greatly when starting to print with PETG.
What are those 6 items that you want to print?

Reactions: Boort

Farmjeepwrangler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Brandon
First Name
Ross
Last Name
Bruno
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG288
What did you design? Always looking for ideas :grinning:

PETG is as easy to print as PLA. So you should be fine with whatever you get. Google 'Chris Elkins PETG' to get his S3D slicer profile for PETG - it helped me greatly when starting to print with PETG.
What are those 6 items that you want to print?
IMG_0865.JPG lantern holder that fits my super strut roof rack
IMG_0866.JPG
IMG_0867.JPG Fire extinguisher bracket.
IMG_0869.JPGgot sick of it falling off on rough roads.
IMG_0005.JPG Rally coins for attendees of trips we post.

Farmjeepwrangler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Brandon
First Name
Ross
Last Name
Bruno
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG288
Got sick of hearing my shackles ring over rough roads so I went to the local off road store and they wanted $20 for a pair of shackle covers. Decided to print my own.IMG_1181.JPGIMG_1181.JPGIMG_1181.JPG
I used PLA and I’ll see how they hold up.

2manytoyz

Rank 0

Contributor I

Merritt Island, FL
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Cummings
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4AAB
At work, we have MRAPs. These were given to us by the military. I was tasked with modifying them. One requirement was they needed significantly more lighting at night. I installed a 52" LED curved light bar. It far exceeded their expectations. The issue I had was only a couple of the vehicles still had the triangular antenna mounts where I wanted to mount the lights. Rather than trying to source new ones from the military, I simply modeled the original, and printed in it PETG. These took about 40 hours each to print. 100% infill for strength.

MRAP1.jpg

MRAP2.jpg

MRAP3.jpg

MRAP4.jpg

Not that anyone else in the world would need to make these same brackets... but I did upload the design to ThingiVerse: MRAP LIGHT BAR MOUNT

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
No, you need to convert file to a .STL then import to a slicing software(Cura or Craftware)
Wow, more stuff for me to learn... wonder if my wife would let me pick up another hobby... I’m still trying to talk her into letting me bring my computer in from storage where it’s been collecting dust for the past 4 years. But the only real thing I did with it was use sketchup and doctor photos.

Reactions: Sparksalot

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
My partner and I are starting a business called Pull Kitchen to bring to the market in May 2020 at Overland Expo West. We are thinking about getting a 3-D printer for some of the random pieces that we need, like a product that would hold a small regulator for a propane stove. How much did your unit roughly cost and what kind of turnaround time does it make to make one item? I know that varies by size and such but I’m thinking something that is 4 x 4 x2 in

Farmjeepwrangler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Brandon
First Name
Ross
Last Name
Bruno
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG288
My partner and I are starting a business called Pull Kitchen to bring to the market in May 2020 at Overland Expo West. We are thinking about getting a 3-D printer for some of the random pieces that we need, like a product that would hold a small regulator for a propane stove. How much did your unit roughly cost and what kind of turnaround time does it make to make one item? I know that varies by size and such but I’m thinking something that is 4 x 4 x2 in
Printer costs about $210. turnaround depends on how complicated the part is. 4x4 cube would take 1 hour, 4x4 figurine/action figure would take 6 hours. Don't forget about design time. It can take days, again depending on how complicated the product is.

Reactions: PapaDave

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

I recently got in to 3d printing as well. Plenty of useful things to do related to vehicle and equipment and it is not that hard, at least not for the level I need. It is hard to print with some materials and to get excellent aesthetics. But I don't care how well they look as long as they do the job.
You can do all kind of custom designs to fit your car, starting with some simple small storage boxes/bins that will fit in what ever space you have available, small boxes to house fuse boxes and other things, custom design clips to hold cables in place and things like that.
YOu can even print tent pegs, plastic buckles that break often so you have some spares, even bolts.. etc..
The limitations are the size ( I can print something no bigger than 25 /25/36 cm height ) and what I can draw in 3d. There are already huge databases with models that you can download for free, after you can scale and modify to suit you.
But it is a lot of work. On the other hand with custom things you either do it yourself or pay a lot to have them done. It is a nice hobby to fill the long winter nights.. :)

Got 2 printers, a normal classic Cartesian design and a fast Delta printer, which I love because I have no patience. The delta printer cuts in half the print time for some parts.

Swiss Overlander

Rank II

Enthusiast I

switzerland
First Name
Dimitri
Last Name
pozzo
Member #

Got sick of hearing my shackles ring over rough roads so I went to the local off road store and they wanted $20 for a pair of shackle covers. Decided to print my own.View attachment 135302View attachment 135303View attachment 135304
I used PLA and I’ll see how they hold up.
You can use flex materials like TPU what is used in smartphone cases but that requires to have a heated bed (most cheap printers come with them from factory now) I would recommend the prusa community, have fun and print loads

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

I am trying my hand at ABS with some small bolt containers at the moment. You are right, I think for overland applications where you need flex TPU is very good, and ABS for durability. Now the entry barrier is much lower.. you can get a decent printer with heated bed for about 300 euro... or 300 US if you live in US.

Reactions: EXPO_D1