Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
I am working on adding a 270 awning to my rack that has an iKamper. The challenge is that an iKamper shell HEAVES out to the drivers side on its hinges as it opens to the passenger side. So one can’t place the awning too close to the tent (on the drivers side) or they will interfere with each other. So I’m mocking up telescoping mounts. The idea is to be able to tuck the awning up tight next to the tent in transport, then slide it out 7” away from the tent to deploy the awning and open the tent. I am going to use square tubes that nests inside of each other to function as the telescoping mechanism, simple and durable. I used this method for my privacy tent on a prior build and it worked well.

I didn’t want a 90” awning hanging out 7-8” away from the tent all the time which I why this project was born.

My progress so far
(Skip to the end to see the finished project)

Preview shot!
3690340C-52CD-401E-8B3F-2B30E3B976D4.jpeg

How it began
DE8674C3-9424-4609-9ACA-8A8CAD98FDFB.jpegA03ED764-C9DC-4C21-840B-B4CC559C71EF.jpegF8A5D6E7-7411-47B1-8E77-73CFF9469A61.jpegF5678545-E967-4468-A810-BD58FB1AA1E9.jpeg

Last edited:

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Little more progress on my mounts. I’m going with longer plates that will have bolts in all 4 corners so the weight sits evenly on the welded bracket elbows. Should reduce torque and flexing of the awning at the ends when they swing open. These look rough for sure.

The front bracket is extended as the rack is only 66” long and the awning is 90”. The 3/16” steel mounting plate will help with rigidity
1015065C-66C2-4418-AE82-00A5D80199EE.jpeg

With 4 bolts in the corners the weight and torque of the awning should be evenly dispersed
903BF752-23F3-4495-8EB3-AC229E32B146.jpeg

Rear mounting plate, smaller as the rear hinge is closer
724DA5B9-E7A1-463E-8D37-35DE52589413.jpegE517991C-AB5D-4EF4-B851-2B6568D2312B.jpeg

Reactions: AzzyRnr

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
You could use nesting square tubes and gas struts to assist with the vertical lift. You might even be able to put the gas struts inside of the square tubes so it compresses when stored. I’m going to use spring steel push button locks and weld on a set screw to prevent any rattle.

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Great work so far!
I also have a situation where I want my awning to lift up vertically before using, because of the rest cargo door on my 4Runner. Right now the cargo door can't be opened when the 270 awning is open. The best possible out-of-the-box solution I found so far is to try folding shelf brackets (attaching an example pic); the awning would be folded flat on the roof rack normally. Then at camp you fold it up so now it's in normal use position but about 6-10 inches above the roof rack thanks to the shelf bracket arms. All that said, those shelf brackets aren't meant to hold sturdy with force pushing horizontally, i.e. wind. I'm worried wind would torque the brackets.
I did actually see a proper product meant to do exactly this function, but it was expensive and not in the states. I'll try to find the link for reference here.

Attachments

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Great work so far!
I also have a situation where I want my awning to lift up vertically before using, because of the rest cargo door on my 4Runner. Right now the cargo door can't be opened when the 270 awning is open. The best possible out-of-the-box solution I found so far is to try folding shelf brackets (attaching an example pic); the awning would be folded flat on the roof rack normally. Then at camp you fold it up so now it's in normal use position but about 6-10 inches above the roof rack thanks to the shelf bracket arms. All that said, those shelf brackets aren't meant to hold sturdy with force pushing horizontally, i.e. wind. I'm worried wind would torque the brackets.
I did actually see a proper product meant to do exactly this function, but it was expensive and not in the states. I'll try to find the link for reference here.
Actually I found a new product I didn't know about...
That's not bad but doesn't look very beefy...

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Actually I found a new product I didn't know about...
That's not bad but doesn't look very beefy...
So it would lay flat on the roof and flip up for use?
Yep. I like the idea because it would also give you more clearance and protect from branches etc when it's laying flat. Then at camp you fold it up and open it out. And since it's now "floating" higher than the roof rack, the rear cargo door can open up fully.

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Yep. I like the idea because it would also give you more clearance and protect from branches etc when it's laying flat. Then at camp you fold it up and open it out. And since it's now "floating" higher than the roof rack, the rear cargo door can open up fully.
It’s a cool idea if you’ve got the room on top. Wouldn’t be too hard to DIY I bet, or purchase those ones.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
This is an issue I have with the privacy/bathroom on my trailer. I have fender steps along the side and where my bathroom is mounted, I loose about 18 inch of room. I was considering making the arms themselves telescope but there's a range of issues there I would have to design around.
I don't like how it mounts to the trailer as it is and needed to do a better job. Three sliders coming out 18 inch would actually work. I don't have a rack on top but if I ever do one, this would effect it much.

Another mod I need to to is put some kind of roof on it. I don't like the open top of the fold away bathrooms for a variety of reasons, first and foremost, going to the bathroom in the rain. I'm working on a square "umbrella" for it. That will be another thread later.

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
This is an issue I have with the privacy/bathroom on my trailer. I have fender steps along the side and where my bathroom is mounted, I loose about 18 inch of room. I was considering making the arms themselves telescope but there's a range of issues there I would have to design around.
I don't like how it mounts to the trailer as it is and needed to do a better job. Three sliders coming out 18 inch would actually work. I don't have a rack on top but if I ever do one, this would effect it much.

Another mod I need to to is put some kind of roof on it. I don't like the open top of the fold away bathrooms for a variety of reasons, first and foremost, going to the bathroom in the rain. I'm working on a square "umbrella" for it. That will be another thread later.
Sounds like the wheels are spinning. On my Tacoma build I ended up sliding my privacy tent out telescopically from the dead space from between the rear window of my truck and my rack. That way it came out far enough to clear the truck and sliders. I have a DIY thread on it here somewhere.

I’m working on the same concept for my heater box that will also be the mount for my privacy tent. And with the awning I’ll have my roof you talk about.

This is my cardboard mock up that system

Attachments

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Any thought yet to what metal your going to use and or premade channels or something along that line? Not for the whole thing, just parts so you cut down on odd shaping.
Just noticed the part where you said you have a diffrent build thread on that.

EDIT for idea.
I wonder if I could utilize short drawer sliders in a channel. It would have to lock in both directions.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Have you considered looking at the Unistrut line of products? I hear some references to a square nested tubing or some creative fabrication, but (maybe I scrolled too fast and missed it) I didn't see anyone mention Unistrut. I ordered a catalog online or you can swing by a dealer and probably talk them out of one. There are so many accessory brackets and components that you should not have difficulty sorting out a configuration that works for your purposes. It's not extruded aluminum, so there will be more weight involved, depending on what you are wanting, but if you are comparing it to whatever welded steel you are fabing up, I'm pretty sure it will compete and perform nicely. Cheers!

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Hmmmm
Telescoping tubing

Tube locks

Friction reducing tape

UGH
Have I told you guys how much I really hate everyone now that I have all this bookmarked. Especially you @lhoffm4 . If you hadn't posted about the unistrut I wouldn't have spent time searching this out.
Realistically, I needed to figure this out. I just didn't want to do it yet.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Hmmmm
Telescoping tubing

Tube locks

Friction reducing tape

UGH
Have I told you guys how much I really hate everyone now that I have all this bookmarked. Especially you @lhoffm4 . If you hadn't posted about the unistrut I wouldn't have spent time searching this out.
Realistically, I needed to figure this out. I just didn't want to do it yet.
I plan on using nesting square tubes, 2.25” for the outer and 2” for the inner and the push button tube locks. I also like welding on a nut and adding a set screw knob to tighten it down to remove any rattle. But I really like the friction reducing tape, thanks for that lead.

My design is flat plate, likely 3/16” steel, cut and welded to the square tube. I really need to learn basic CAD but I graphed out the rough plans and my daughter’s boyfriend (Ole Miss Techinical Engineering grad and a Toyota engineer) is going to create a basic DXF for me to take to a local fab shop. I graphed out my original PullKitchen as well with the help of Oreo cookies as brain food. The cardboard mock ups are crude but I don’t weld and I need the steel for strength as I like to go fast on the trails and I can’t have an awning separating from the vehicle.

I tried to upload the PDF but it was too big, below are the screen shots. My Overland Pros Raptor 6k awning arrived so I could finish the final measurements. Now just waiting on the DXF files that at least will look respectable compared to these scribbles.

C488DDE5-09D3-4B98-879E-0E7C508F1216.pngAB6291F6-6124-4DEE-A25D-35AB40193D9E.pngB34031DD-7A63-4D97-9FBC-FE40908361C5.pngF0F549A2-3BB8-4F5B-8C0A-D13F6084C402.png0C78F35B-C103-460E-BF6F-FC93ACCE6CDD.png80B1D9A4-2A5D-4B76-B721-6A2CB5F77E0F.pngDA6E6370-29C8-4F1C-B9C6-80F33B812F39.png

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Not bad. I use fusion 360 for my cad software but unless I’m making a file to have cut, I’m drawing it out in one of my scratch books. I have probably a dozen kicking around the garage with whole projects layed out. I still find it faster to hand draw everything.
The Toyota engineer, daughter of Boyfriend?

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Not bad. I use fusion 360 for my cad software but unless I’m making a file to have cut, I’m drawing it out in one of my scratch books. I have probably a dozen kicking around the garage with whole projects layed out. I still find it faster to hand draw everything.
The Toyota engineer, daughter of Boyfriend?
He’s a college senior and the boy friend of my daughter. He did a year internship with Toyota and now is graduating in 3 months. Talented and gifted kid!

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
BTW this is a link to a short description of how I used nesting square tube for my privacy tent.

Privacy tent.jpegPrivacy tent 2.jpeg