Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

Had a thought for an addition to the Overland Bound One app. Is it feasible for Hot-Button for a non-emergency distress call? Something that could auto-post a standard form with location in the distress call forum and push a notification to other app users in the region?
Maybe have a drop down menu where you selected your distress (Stuck, Broke Down, Out of Gas, etc.)

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
That would be nice but would be useless in 95% of Colorado and Utah. I don't know how common this is across the country but we simply don't have cell phone service on trails and if we do, it is voice only, not data.

That is why we have Hams (sometimes better reach than cell if a repeater can be reached), or Iridium Satellite messengers such as Spot, Garmin Inreach, etc, or good old Satphone.

Reactions: LostInThought

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

Dripping Springs, Texas, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

That would be nice but would be useless in 95% of Colorado and Utah. I don't know how common this is across the country but we simply don't have cell phone service on trails and if we do, it is voice only, not data.

That is why we have Hams (sometimes better reach than cell if a repeater can be reached), or Iridium Satellite messengers such as Spot, Garmin Inreach, etc, or good old Satphone.
Cell coverage in New Mexico is bad on the paved roads and mostly non-existent on the fun roads. I think Arizona is in about the same position. (and I'd guess Nevada, Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana, too)

I set up my ham rig for APRS. I can generally use APRS to send text messages from the radio to my wife's phone even when there's no cell coverage. I also set it up to beacon my position and she can use aprsdirect.com or aprs.fi to track me on a map and can relay that if I'm overdue. I've thought about one of the sat-link tools but so far I'm waffling on a subscription fee.

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

I'm envisioning this more as a non-emergency option. For when you're trying to avoid a $500 tow truck recovery or a multi-thousand dollar bill from a GPS distress beacon response. Hike/hitchhike out of the area, hit the button once you get a signal and you might get lucky with a response from someone that got notified in the region that might be able to help with a recovery. I'm just not sure how frequently people check out the Distress Call member forum to see who they can help out today.:grinning:

We have plenty of opportunity to get stuck here in the South East while still being in cell coverage. Yes, that's what friends are for but this way you might not end up shamed on Instagram, lol.

Admittedly, this isn't a feature for the vast majority of users, it's a feature for "that one guy that one time" who it really made a difference for.

Status
Not open for further replies.