Launch Member

Traveler I

Pleasanton CA
First Name
Adriaan
Last Name
Theron
Member #

Looking for some 4WD/4Runner accessible camping suggestions in the following two areas:

** Riverside camping near Lake Shasta
** Riverside camping on Lower Fork feather River.

Looking for great views, peace and fly fishing opportunities.

Cheers! Promise I won't tell anyone :)

Reactions: macr88

macr88

Rank VI
Launch Member

Protector II

Emmett, ID, USA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Raslan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7TLH or GMRS WRBM678
Service Branch
Sweet District II
lol please tell me though :)

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

I know a couple of spots on the Clavey river.

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

Thx! Any. Coordinates or landmarks? Nearest town? Did you fish there ?
The nearest towns are Long Barn and Pinecrest. I have fished there but not this year, the water is too fast still. I can send you a .kml file if you would like.

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

It is not a great fishing river but it is one a of few rivers left with native Rainbow trout.

Matt4Runner

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

Pleasant Hill, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
JJJ
Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6VHF

R1200gsfan

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Pleasanton CA
First Name
Adriaan
Last Name
Theron
Member #

I know those spots! Went to that second spot back in May. There was a downed tree blocking the trail from all the rains. Cleared it with my winch. Only thing I don't like is all the people that shoot their guns and rev their ATV's at 5 in the morning.
Matt
Did you do any fishing there?
adriaan

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

I know those spots! Went to that second spot back in May. There was a downed tree blocking the trail from all the rains. Cleared it with my winch. Only thing I don't like is all the people that shoot their guns and rev their ATV's at 5 in the morning.
You must have had a bad group near by, I have stayed in the area many times and never exprienced that problem.

Matt4Runner

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

Pleasant Hill, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
JJJ
Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6VHF
Matt
Did you do any fishing there?
adriaan
The river was moving way too fast in May so no. I went last year later in the year and the river was real low and glassy. Didn't have any luck but all I saw were tiny fish anyway. I'm not much of a fisherman though so other people may have had better luck.

Matt4Runner

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

Pleasant Hill, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
JJJ
Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6VHF
You must have had a bad group near by, I have stayed in the area many times and never exprienced that problem.
That's good to know. The only time I really had a problem was maybe 6 years ago now. I had setup just down river from a group and as soon as I sat down for a beer after setting up my tent they let loose a barrage of fire that lasted for at least an hour. It seriously sounded like I was in Fallujah. They finally stopped and I was able to relax a bit and go to sleep. Then I was awoken at 5 in the morning thinking I was in 'Nam. I packed up and got the hell out of there.

Went back to that area last year and it was closed for restoration unfortunately.

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

That's good to know. The only time I really had a problem was maybe 6 years ago now. I had setup just down river from a group and as soon as I sat down for a beer after setting up my tent they let loose a barrage of fire that lasted for at least an hour. It seriously sounded like I was in Fallujah. They finally stopped and I was able to relax a bit and go to sleep. Then I was awoken at 5 in the morning thinking I was in 'Nam. I packed up and got the hell out of there.

Went back to that area last year and it was closed for restoration unfortunately.
I camped twice in the area last month and there were not very many people around. I am sure this month there are a lot more people.