Hurricane, UT
First Name
Russ
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7HOS
Yes...DEFINITELY air down. I went down to 18psi and set my Icons to the softest setting. The washboard roads at some points were brutal and towards the end, kind of annoying. Didn't help I tweaked my alignment really bad on Lippincott so I was paranoid with lights on the dash on. It wasn't that windy when I was out there but was glad to have the hard shell as it soaked up the wind better at Alabama Hills where I stayed both nights.
I hear the Icons are great shocks. Do you adjust them often for different terrain or usually set them and leave it? Trying to decide what to buy for my rig.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

WheelMe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Aptos, California
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Hung
Member #

I usually air down to 15 psi when crawling rocks or doing 4-Lo trails - and definitely will do so for Lippincott, but will see if 20 psi will suffice for Saline Valley and Racetrack Road. My plan is to go fast on the washboard, but avoid risking overheating the tires if they're aired too far down; I have 3-ply M/Ts, so they're bound to generate more heat than 2-ply A/Ts at speed.

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

I hear the Icons are great shocks. Do you adjust them often for different terrain or usually set them and leave it? Trying to decide what to buy for my rig.

Oh I definitely adjust depending on what terrain I'm on and how much I'm loaded up. Every day pavement pounding I run them more stiff. Icons are great but do require maintenance. Not sure if King's over adjust-ability like Icon but may want to look into them as well.

Reactions: SW_UT_FJ

armymgdude

Rank IV

Advocate II

Olympia, WA
Oh I definitely adjust depending on what terrain I'm on and how much I'm loaded up. Every day pavement pounding I run them more stiff. Icons are great but do require maintenance. Not sure if King's over adjust-ability like Icon but may want to look into them as well.
Speed does not work on racetrack road. Not my truck, but he left parts on the road for 20 miles. I aired down to 15 and went slow and enjoyed the scenery and the fact that my truck was still working at the end. There are lots of roads in DV where speed works, this is not one of them. Too many tourists in rentals have obliterated that road.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SW_UT_FJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hurricane, UT
First Name
Russ
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7HOS
Great, thanks for the info.

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

Speed does not work on racetrack road. Not my truck, but he left parts on the road for 20 miles. I aired down to 15 and went slow and enjoyed the scenery and the fact that my truck was still working at the end. There are lots of roads in DV where speed works, this is not one of them. Too many tourists in rentals have obliterated that road.

Oh I know. I didn't say I drove fast did I? I was at 15-20 the whole way at lower tire pressure and soft setting on the Icons. Like you said...nothing was gonna make it smooth. That rode is brutal. But Lippincott is worse. I was not a fan. Damn heights

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

armymgdude

Rank IV

Advocate II

Olympia, WA
Oh I know. I didn't say I drove fast did I? I was at 15-20 the whole way at lower tire pressure and soft setting on the Icons. Like you said...nothing was gonna make it smooth. That rode is brutal. But Lippincott is worse. I was not a fan. Damn heights

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
No you didn't, I just fat fingered the wrong button. Lippincott road at the bottom is just as bad for washboards, just not as long. I had to rescue a brand new Toyota that melted the battery after some wires came loose on the washboards. And I agree, the upper part is not good for someone who doesn't like heights...

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

No you didn't, I just fat fingered the wrong button. Lippincott road at the bottom is just as bad for washboards, just not as long. I had to rescue a brand new Toyota that melted the battery after some wires came loose on the washboards. And I agree, the upper part is not good for someone who doesn't like heights...

Ya know...I thought about getting out and taking pics coming down Lippincott, but I just wanted down! HAHA But agreed Racetrack, Lippinott to Saline and Saline till you got to going up over the range was bad. I was constantly checking my 4R especially after knocking the alignment out of whack on a rock on Lippincott. At least that was the only thing. Sounds like that guy in the new Toyota had a bad day.

Reactions: armymgdude

Fjforles

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chandler, AZ, USA
First Name
Leslie
Last Name
Gutierrez
Member #

KINGS they are a beauti

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk