Direction Needed - Literally... Alps into Italy...?

• HTML tutorial

doodahoops

Rank II

Enthusiast I

UK
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Hooper
Member #

HI, I'm looking at a two week trip mid September from the UK towards the Alps / Italy. The Alps look like they will be getting fairly cool for camping, though I would like to do a couple of the passes / tunnels / nights wild camping on the way. The rest of the time would be a mix of camping / day trips / chilling / not driving every day. I don't want a fixed plan but where would be a good region to head to where the weather is better to keep the old bones warm? I do like the idea of meandering through Tuscany soley on the white roads / Strada Biance going to small villages, eating and drinking well on local food and custom away from tourists and the cities.... have searched but not sure if this is really doable...

Reactions: MattLodi

MattLodi

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Reggio Emilia, RE, Italia
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lodi
in mid September you'll find a really pleasant weather in Tuscany and it will be less crowded than August (when we Italians have holidays).
Last year I have been to the free thermal baths of Saturnia (a place i recommend) in October and the weather was great there too, only a bit chill during night/evening.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
I agree with heading into Italy - if you're focussed on the Alps then the Italian Alps will serve. I recall on one occasion driving north and entering the San Gotthard tunnel in sunshine and 30 C and coming out at the northern end into 14 C and rain.