strandtc

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Pinckney, MI, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Strandt
I've got a 2021 Toyota 4Runner, and as I add gear to the back bumper, and cargo area, the center rear view mirror is less and less useful. Does anyone know of a high quality digital rear view mirror? Optimally I would hope for something with a HD quality image quality, good day and night performance, and a camera field of view similar to the factory mirror. And preferably not one of those strap on ones that bungies to the existing mirror with cables hanging out of it, and not a simple backup camera (too wide angle).

Maybe I'm being picky, but its 2022, and I assume there is something out there. OEM vehicle have them... Toyota even has one for the Rav4.

Any suggestions welcome. I didn't see anything via a quick forum search.

Thanks,
-Chris

Reactions: WareWolf MoonWall

strandtc

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Pinckney, MI, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Strandt
FYI, I found the Gentex GENFDM3LN. Its apparently about $830 as of right now. It looks to be the most "OEM" quality I've seen so far, but I can't find any reviews or detailed specs. Anyone have any experience with this? Has anyone tried buying parts from Toyota (or another OEM) and installing one?

Thanks,
-Chris

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Interesting, I’m retired from the transportation industry and I, along with another 5 million (+/-) pro drivers, developers and manufacturers have never seen the need to see what is directly behind the vehicle. Even today, when we load up, I forget about the center rear view mirror and adjust the side mirrors accordingly. I’m commenting in order to follow this thread as you’re query has me interested. $850 ? Whoa!

Reactions: 64Trvlr

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Have you considered an aftermarket wireless backup camera? I have one that attaches to the license plate mounts, is small, can be charged via solar or regular shore power, and comes with a small screen. It can be set up for either backup or just regular view (no guide lines). Not fancy, but cost about $180 on Amazon.

strandtc

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Pinckney, MI, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Strandt
Interesting, I’m retired from the transportation industry and I, along with another 5 million (+/-) pro drivers, developers and manufacturers have never seen the need to see what is directly behind the vehicle. Even today, when we load up, I forget about the center rear view mirror and adjust the side mirrors accordingly. I’m commenting in order to follow this thread as you’re query has me interested. $850 ? Whoa!
Maybe its just what me and my family are used to. When someone's behind me, I like to be able to check the center rear view mirror, more than the side mirrors.

-Chris

Reactions: 200LC

strandtc

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Pinckney, MI, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Strandt
Have you considered an aftermarket wireless backup camera? I have one that attaches to the license plate mounts, is small, can be charged via solar or regular shore power, and comes with a small screen. It can be set up for either backup or just regular view (no guide lines). Not fancy, but cost about $180 on Amazon.
There is already a backup camera in the 4Runner, and I have a switch to activate it at anytime... but in my experience backup cameras have very wide field of view. And I would prefer to not add an additional screen to the dash. How do you like the camera system you sent a link to? Does it have a really wide field of view?

Thanks,
-Chris

kwill

Rank II

Enthusiast III

TX
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Williams
Why not use your existing camera with a relocation kit?

strandtc

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Pinckney, MI, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Strandt
Why not use your existing camera with a relocation kit?
The backup camera system has a very wide field of view, which isn't the same as a rear view mirror, so its difficult to use while going 70mph on the expressway. And I have the "Anytime" kit, but if I'm going forwards, I would have to press a button every time I want to look backwards (switching the central display between navigation, and rear view).

I'm just hoping someone has a good aftermarket option to provide the same functionality as the digital rear view mirrors found in newer vehicles.

-Chris

kwill

Rank II

Enthusiast III

TX
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Williams
Gotcha. My son recently bought a RAV4 that has a digital rear view mirror so you may be able to use a genuine Toyota system if you desire.

Reactions: strandtc

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

There is already a backup camera in the 4Runner, and I have a switch to activate it at anytime... but in my experience backup cameras have very wide field of view. And I would prefer to not add an additional screen to the dash. How do you like the camera system you sent a link to? Does it have a really wide field of view?

Thanks,
-Chris
Yes, it’s a typically wide view, as it primarily operates as a backup camera. It also comes with a small, dedicated screen and there’s not an option to pair it to your vehicle’s display or iPad/cell phone. I’ve suggested that to the company.
I was thinking that you didn’t have to mount it on your license plate; you could rig it to mount higher, on a roof rack or similar height, to get a comprehensive view around the rear of your vehicle, kind if a “bird’s eye” view.
Yep, so far I’m happy with it for the cost.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I looked into this for when I pull my trailer. I didn't want a separate screen. I only use my side mirrors so, replacing with a digital was what I wanted then, I saw the price.

Reactions: MOAK