Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marysville, OH, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Guthrie
Member #

What’s up, Overlanding world?? Quick question.... I’ve got a ‘15 Subaru Outback 2.5i and the only thing I am reading about for water crossing is the canister bypass filter relocation. Has anyone or does anyone have advice on differential breathers for the Outbacks? I haven’t been able to find out to much info on this topic or maybe I’m looking in all the wrong places. Thanks for any advice and help!

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I did some searching and found a pic of the rear diff. Its on top, center and has a "floating cap". That means pressure gets out and hopefully water dosent get in. I haven't set up the breathers on my Cruiser yet but, I've had good luck with the bellows type. They expand and contract with pressure and are totally sealed. The nice thing about them is you don't have to add a piece of hose and route it somewhere.

diff vent.jpg

bumpo83

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marysville, OH, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Guthrie
Member #

I did some searching and found a pic of the rear diff. Its on top, center and has a "floating cap". That means pressure gets out and hopefully water dosent get in. I haven't set up the breathers on my Cruiser yet but, I've had good luck with the bellows type. They expand and contract with pressure and are totally sealed. The nice thing about them is you don't have to add a piece of hose and route it somewhere.

View attachment 82501
Thanks for the image, that’s very helpful! I just did a quick search on 4 Wheel Parts and found this -

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/trail-gear-creeper-breather-kit/10524

I’m guessing that this is what you are talking about? Seems simple enough if I can get it to work on the Subaru diff!

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
’m guessing that this is what you are talking about? Seems simple enough if I can get it to work on the Subaru diff!
Yep, that's it. There will be a breather on top of your trans also. It should look like the one on the diff. I couldn't find an image for that.
Now that you know what the bellows looks like, do some searching. I cant remember if the trail gear one was the best price. I do know one of the manufactures is way over priced.

Scott

Reactions: tritonl