Memphis, TN, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
McGaha
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4GKM
1st, apologies if this is in the wrong thread or has been previously discussed. I tried to search, but according to my kids, I'm a Boomer :)
I'm not one to cut corners, but I am considering picking up a used Sat based comms device for the Emergency part of my Commo P.A.C.E. plan. Is there any significant difference between the functions or connection capability between the original Delorme and the rebranded Garmin InReachs? The expenses are adding up... new APRS radio, new GPRS radio...

If it affects the answer, from a navigation perspective, I will be using Gaia on an Ipad primarily. Eventually, I will convert or add Android to the mix so that I can use Backcountry Navigator fed with APRS, but that is down the road (haha pun intended).

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Take a look at the flexibility of the service plan for any contenders. Can you put it on "hold" and not pay (much anyway) for stretches when it is not in use? The Garmin (at least some) can share its GPS via bluetooth with a tablet, so if your tablet lacks a GPS this may be important (only cellular equipped ipads have a physical GPS). The newer model may support more cool features, don't know - have never owned either. Let us know what you decide.

Wabbit

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Somewhere out yonder
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Bru
Member #

Having owned a Garmin Inreach since 2016 I can attest to its ease of use and accuracy. Paying about 25 bucks isn’t bad for a piece of mind and I believe their lowest cost package runs around 14 per month. Having the older Inreach (has a 2in screen) you can technically do everything on the device itself however I sync mine up with my Ipad/Iphone through their dedicated app.

2xAGM114

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Gamin InReach Mini just showed up at our Costco, $329. It looks to have Bluetooth so I assume you could use its GPS capes to link to iPad + Gaia. That seems like a lot of money for the same capes a $99 Bad Elf GPS puck will do. The bonus I suppose is the emergency text feature for Overland applications. The other benefit is the ability to leave the truck and hike/bike with it during your trip.

Any one else using the inReach Mini in this way?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Gamin InReach Mini just showed up at our Costco, $329. It looks to have Bluetooth so I assume you could use its GPS capes to link to iPad + Gaia. That seems like a lot of money for the same capes a $99 Bad Elf GPS puck will do. The bonus I suppose is the emergency text feature for Overland applications. The other benefit is the ability to leave the truck and hike/bike with it during your trip.

I think that’s how most of us use it... pair it to our devices I. The rig, then carry it on our persons while out of the rig... the Text feature is great if you are in the need...

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs

if you are only looking for a GPS device to supplement your tablet then you could go cheaper than the in reach. The “bonus” emergency “texting” is why this device costs as much as it does, not a bonus, rather the main feature.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

I bought a used Delorme off Ebay for just over 125 bucks a couple years ago. It is the one that is one step up from the mini. Garmin has supported it with firmware updates, which I did last in July. It works great. $24 a year access fee, then I can choose the plan that fits what I'm doing. I like to send location notifications to friends who can follow along on Garmin's Mapshare, so usually I go with the one that has unimited notifications, which is like 34 bucks, IIRC. The plan where they are 10 cents each is something like 15 bucks a month. You can also add insurance for under $20 per year to cover rescue events. I believe it is about 20 bucks for a year and is a $100,000 policy. But it caps at 2 incidents at $50k per incident. Might be helpful to pay for helecopter fuel or an off-road tow truck.

The battery on the Delorme unit lasts a LONG time, too. Overall, not a bad deal for going into remote areas. I've taken it on trips to Colorado and Moab, as well as the UP of Michigan and into Eastern Kentucky and Eastern Tennessee. I've not had an emergency, but again, the Mapshare feature is really nice for friends to follow your progress. I'll probably take it on regular trips, too, such as Europe, when travel resumes.

Last edited:

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I bought a used Delorme off Ebay for just over 125 bucks a couple years ago. It is the one that is one step up from the mini. Garmin has supported it with firmware updates, which I did last in July. It works great. $24 a year access fee, then I can choose the plan that fits what I'm doing. I like to send location notifications to friends who can follow along on Garmin's Mapshare, so usually I go with the one that has unimited notifications, which is like 34 bucks, IIRC. The plan where they are 10 cents each is something like 15 bucks a month. You can also add insurance for under $20 per year to cover rescue events. I believe it is about 20 bucks for a year and is a $100,000 policy. But it caps at 2 incidents at $50k per incident. Might be helpful to pay for helecopter fuel or an off-road tow truck.

The battery on the Delorme unit lasts a LONG time, too. Overall, not a bad deal for going into remote areas. I've taken it on trips to Colorado and Moab, as well as the UP of Michigan and into Eastern Kentucky and Eastern Tennessee. I've not had an emergency, but again, the Mapshare feature is really nice for friends to follow your progress. I'll probably take it on regular trips, too, such as Europe, when travel resumes.
I did the same, used Delorme off evil bay for $125. I only wanted the emergency sat capability. Worth every penny.

Reactions: DanW

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Delorme was the old brand name. Garmin bought the company and rebranded the device and came out with the mini.

Reactions: Ghosting

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

I have not dig deep but understand the differences between the mini and larger models are just that. The mini needs to be paired with another device to get the most from it. Something I always do with my larger InReach anyway. And the mini’s battery life has been reported as shorter. Seem logical.

I’m very happy with mine. Not a gps geek by any means. Communication options do what I need and I’m happy with the basic US topo’s I’ve downloaded for mapping.

Reactions: Andrew McGaha

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

Just having read through this post I find myself trying to figure this out also. I currently have and "use" GAIA on my ipad. My ipad though, does not have GPS so this is where I run into my problem. I have tried using it off of my hot spot on my phone but that does not work well. I am looking for something that will actually track real time and show me where I am on the maps. I am still learning how to use GAIA and as of now that is pretty much the only thing I use.

Reactions: Andrew McGaha

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Just having read through this post I find myself trying to figure this out also. I currently have and "use" GAIA on my ipad. My ipad though, does not have GPS so this is where I run into my problem. I have tried using it off of my hot spot on my phone but that does not work well. I am looking for something that will actually track real time and show me where I am on the maps. I am still learning how to use GAIA and as of now that is pretty much the only thing I use.
If you have an Inreach you can pair it to your iPad for GPS. If you don’t own and Inreach you can either buy that or a Bluetooth GPS “puck” like the Garmin Glo or Dual GPS. There are lots of threads on those devices.Tethering an iPad to a phone does not provide GPS.

Reactions: Lil Bear

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

If you have an Inreach you can pair it to your iPad for GPS. If you don’t own and Inreach you can either buy that or a Bluetooth GPS “puck” like the Garmin Glo or Dual GPS. There are lots of threads on those devices.Tethering an iPad to a phone does not provide GPS.
oh I didn't know that it didn't provide it if it was connected to my phone! Thanks!