Investor

Enthusiast II

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Gill
Member #

Newbie here. Starting to plan my first rig. I'm on the hunt for a Nissan Xterra and I've got a question about buying a trim with diff lockers or buying one without and modifying later.

It seems that the trim with factory lockers runs between 5-8k more and it includes things that I'll replace anyway (shocks, tires).

Would it be a good idea to broaden my search to other trims, pay a little less for the platform and add lockers afterward?

BenK

Rank 0

Contributor I

Matthews, NC, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Koski
The real answer to your question is highly subjective but the way you phrased it tells me you already know the answer. If you’re on the hunt for a vehicle you plan to modify... don’t spend extra for things you’ll throw in the trash. Extremes example: if you bought a TRD Pro Tacoma then immediately lifted it and put aftermarket lockers on it... you’d have essentially paid $10k extra for badges. That’s a pretty broad statement but it gets the point across. Regardless, good luck with the build and have fun!

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Keep in mind you can sell those extra items you want to get rid of to non Pro4X owners who want them for their truck. If you start with a non Pro4X and decide to put just a locker in by itself later you can plan on a 1000 dollar minimum unless you can do the work yourself. Double that or more if you want to lock both ends.

Reactions: RebelAtHeart

RebelAtHeart

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Gill
Member #

That's great advice. I figure though that the cost difference I'm seeing between pro-4x and other trims, it still makes more sense to lock after. Plus it seriously opens up my buying options. It's hard to find those pro-4x models with less than 150k on them. At least in my neck of the woods.

I'm curious though, is there any advantage (besides the cost of modding) to having the "official" lockers as a part of the trim?

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
That's great advice. I figure though that the cost difference I'm seeing between pro-4x and other trims, it still makes more sense to lock after. Plus it seriously opens up my buying options. It's hard to find those pro-4x models with less than 150k on them. At least in my neck of the woods.

I'm curious though, is there any advantage (besides the cost of modding) to having the "official" lockers as a part of the trim?

Big piles of R&D money and factory backed work went into them so you're a lot less likely (in my opinion) to have issues with them vs putting in aftermarket selectable lockers.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Personally, if you think you're going to be needing the locker, I'd say just buy the pro4x. I drive a stock 03 xterra. I have a front locker waiting to be installed, but haven't hit an obstacle that I've not been able to get over or around yet. Unless you're planning on doing the rubicon or regularly running trails in Moab, you probably won't need it much.

That being said, there are other nice things about the pro4x nissan (I would kill for some heated seats).

Reactions: RebelAtHeart