Diesel

• HTML tutorial

Taoracer

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Hey all,
Was wondering your 2cents on Diesel rigs for overlanding....here in the states.

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Depends on the rig. Older mechanical diesels? Absolutely. Ford/IH IDI, Cummins 12v's, MILSURP Detroits. I'd love to get my hands on an older diesel Patrol. Occasionally I've seen older diesel Land Cruisers get listed and fly right off. They're a hot commodity. Newer electronic controlled? Not so sure. The new new diesels will go into limp mode if they don't regenerate their DPF's in a timely manner. I have two older ('97 & '04), pre exhaust smog equipment era but electronic controlled engine trucks and they are great trucks.

What are you looking at?

Tim N Michele Davis

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Hartselle Al
Member #

Nothing newer than 07 so no DPF( Diesel Particulate Filter ) they can get expensive fast and idling kills the filter. Absolutely no 6.5 GM diesel they are not up to the task but every now and then you see a exception. Other than that enjoy!

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

I would love to have one, I think it also depends a lot on your usage. If you're going down tight and narrow tracks I wouldn't recommend one only because in the US they only come in full-size trucks, unless you get something that's been swapped in and that can lead to another can of worms of reliability. But if you're going places where size isn't an issue I would say they are a great option, the old ones are super reliable and easy to work on.

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
I would love to convert my FJ to diesel, It's a $20,000 swap. My budget nor gut could handle that. I think gas is more detrimental to the environment, diesel has more bang for the buck and it's cheaper to crack. Our US auto makers have done this for us....

Taoracer

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Great input! I just got my m1031 back and running...was thinking about selling it....but, man I love that sound those diesels make!!! And yes, they seem fairly easy to wrench on (I've only had 'em for a few months now).

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Build a dedicated overland bed for it, like the Aussies do. You'll have a great platform.

Taoracer

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I've been all over the map, looking/thinking about what bed to put on. I still haven made up my mind. Though I'm super surprised that a "stock" bed has become hard to find.

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

That one has the 6.2 Detroit/GM bastard child v8 diesel.

We haddem in the HMMWV.... they are not all gems. Some are problematic little bastards. Putting it mildly.

I would say out of the near 200 HMMWV/CUCV we had in the unit about 6 of them a year needed major repair. I.e. head gaskets/complete build. Of those 6 you can bet your bonnet 2 of them had sucked in water from creek crossing or flood relief ops.

So that's a scope for you to gage by, personally I ran the dog piss out of mine for about 4 years I was there. No mercy. I jumped that HMMWV, I bogged it, etc. Drove it at wide open throttle for up to an hour and a half at a time.... and I meen W.O.T.... hmmwv are LOW geared and to get 65mph out if a M998?? Lol.... not in that engines comfort zone.

I wold gladly drive one.

The hardest thing about them is the fuel injection pump. And that ain't half bad.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

My friend is doing it right. The old 80's CUCV 1008 Military trucks (GM Custom Deluxe cab) are being sold off at crazy low prices. Friend has one he got for less than 7 grand that was only used on base and has less than 50K on it. Mechanical diesel. It even came with the trailer that all the overlanders are buying up to make their rolling cabins with. No turbo, and a little slow on the hiway, but that thing crawls up everything regardless of obstacle or grade. He has an auxiliary tank in the bed (40 gal I believe) and still room for his 6'5" frame to sleep back there in a cot. Plus, that engine is old enough to not care if you use good diesel or bad diesel. If I tried to drive my TDI through South America it might not survive on that low grade diesel. Anyway.

Reactions: Mad Garden Gnome

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
That one has the 6.2 Detroit/GM bastard child v8 diesel.

We haddem in the HMMWV.... they are not all gems. Some are problematic little bastards. Putting it mildly.

I would say out of the near 200 HMMWV/CUCV we had in the unit about 6 of them a year needed major repair. I.e. head gaskets/complete build. Of those 6 you can bet your bonnet 2 of them had sucked in water from creek crossing or flood relief ops.

So that's a scope for you to gage by, personally I ran the dog piss out of mine for about 4 years I was there. No mercy. I jumped that HMMWV, I bogged it, etc. Drove it at wide open throttle for up to an hour and a half at a time.... and I meen W.O.T.... hmmwv are LOW geared and to get 65mph out if a M998?? Lol.... not in that engines comfort zone.

I wold gladly drive one.

The hardest thing about them is the fuel injection pump. And that ain't half bad.
Yes. Those that either love or hate that engine. I don't think I've ever met someone in between.

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
I got to run around in one of those (milsurp) trucks with a SAR group. Other than putting in a switch to manually run the plugs, that truck ran like a champ. Started well (when started on a daily basis), didn't overheat in 115 degree weather, made good power, 0-60 in fifteen minutes...........

Reactions: Taoracer

Meta6981

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Dewey, AZ
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Emerdinger
Member #

Idi's are pretty plentiful, or if you wanna go small and drop a mercedes om 617 motor into a suzuki or something. I currently am running a new jeep diesel. Its got power and torgue. Not as simple to work on the old 80's 90's diesels.