Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

As I am progressing on the Willys rebuild, the engine continues to concern me. I'm not entirely sure that the block is in sound condition. When I started tear down it was firing on 4&5, which is the number one spot for a cracked block in that motor. So, if I have a bad block, I may do an engine swap rather than finding a new stock motor.

Original Pros & Cons:
-Gas, less fuel issues
-Awesome torque
-Carbuerated, less than ideal in the open field
-Very low mpg

Diesel Swap Pros & Cons:
-Diesel, more prone to gelling, etc.
-Maintains torque
-Injected, less fuel delivery issues
-Better mpg

So, should I really consider a diesel swap if I can't use the stock motor? To me it looks like a better option out on the trail.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I'm biased because I own a diesel.. But the increased fuel economy, durability and just plain cool factor are all pluses in my book. When I can get more than double the fuel economy and range as my buddies similarly equipped truck that has a 5.7 hemi, it makes me smile.

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
As I am progressing on the Willys rebuild, the engine continues to concern me. I'm not entirely sure that the block is in sound condition. When I started tear down it was firing on 4&5, which is the number one spot for a cracked block in that motor. So, if I have a bad block, I may do an engine swap rather than finding a new stock motor.

Original Pros & Cons:
-Gas, less fuel issues
-Awesome torque
-Very low mpg

Diesel Swap Pros & Cons:
-Maintains torque
-Better mpg

So, should I really consider a diesel swap if I can't use the stock motor? To me it looks like a better option out on the trail.

Original Pro's & Con's
-Gas, less fuel issues

-Awesome torque
-You won't find yourself tearing down an injection pump for repair in the field. Won't happen, much less an electronic injection system, gas or diesel. At least a carb you could disassemble and repair, ie: drain contaminated fuel, unclog jets, etc....
-Very low mpg

Diesel Swap Pros & Cons:
Whats the lowest temps you plan on operating in? Current aftermarket additives address this.
-Maintains torque
-Mechanical injection is probably the most dependable diesel injection system for field purposes.
-Better mpg

You may want to consider the Cummins 4BT. Many blocks use a common SBC bellhousing. Mechanical injection. Common parts support. Very dependable 4 cylinder version of the 5.9l 12v. There is also the Isuzu 4BT, same name, different motor. Also came in some SBC bellhousing configurations. Both can be found in "bread trucks".

rking.1688

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

The motor I would swap for would either be the Cummins 4BT or a Kubota V2203. Both can be adapted to the stock T90 transmission. Both also have about the same horsepower and parts availability.

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
I love the little Kubota motors. I've rebuilt one of the 3 cyl. Stout and simple.

E

expeditionnorth

if you ever travel oveseas you'll want diesel, since all other options seemed to be mentioned here

58-fc170

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Might want to rethink the transmission choice. A t-90 is a tiny transmission and I seriously doubt it would like having a diesels torque dumped into it.