Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

It would be nice if we had a diesel and a gasoline forum seperate in the overland rigs section. We already have the fullsize rigs section but thats only helpful if going by weight or wheelbase. I think It would really help narrow down what your looking for having a choice between fuel types. A turbo/supercharger and naturally aspirated section would be cool too.

Reactions: TheRealMcCoy

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
It would be nice if we had a diesel and a gasoline forum seperate in the overland rigs section. We already have the fullsize rigs section but thats only helpful if going by weight or wheelbase. I think It would really help narrow down what your looking for having a choice between fuel types. A turbo/supercharger and naturally aspirated section would be cool too.
A nice idea, but maybe a little premature. Right now it is just the small/mid offerings from Gm, and Ford (Colorado/Ranger-North America {NA}) Either Nissan or Toyota need to get onboard for it to be meaningful, or Isuzu for example (D-max). if this is the market your talking about. If this also encompasses places like Europe/South Africa/ or Australia, along with the rest of the world, than yes, as those places have a large contingent of small diesel rigs. Many of us have lamented about that lack in NA. Not sure how popular the thread would be here in the USA/Canada for something we cant have. It would end up being generalized IMO, as a Xmas wish book.

Better to have a riq evaluation/build by those who have them in the United States, with both pictures and reviews by our members, that can give real world input, not dictated by magazines and ad sponsors. I do get your frustration......on this. I know of no diesels that come naturally aspirated any more, as power is dictated by emissions more so than not. For now the gas/diesel question is limited to big rigs with the exception of the 2 trucks mentioned above.

PS:
There are just so many vehicles we are not allowed to have. Mitsubishi, Nissan Patrols, Toyota 70/80's/troop carriers, and on and on.

Last edited:

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

A nice idea, but maybe a little premature. Right now it is just the small/mid offerings from Gm, and Ford (Colorado/Ranger-North America {NA}) Either Nissan or Toyota need to get onboard for it to be meaningful, or Isuzu for example (D-max). if this is the market your talking about. If this also encompasses places like Europe/South Africa/ or Australia, along with the rest of the world, than yes, as those places have a large contingent of small diesel rigs. Many of us have lamented about that lack in NA. Not sure how popular the thread would be here in the USA/Canada for something we cant have. It would end up being generalized IMO, as a Xmas wish book.

Better to have a riq evaluation/build by those who have them in the United States, with both pictures and reviews by our members, that can give real world input, not dictated by magazines and ad sponsors. I do get your frustration......on this. I know of no diesels that come naturally aspirated any more, as power is dictated by emissions more so than not. For now the gas/diesel question is limited to big rigs with the exception of the 2 trucks mentioned above.

PS:
There are just so many vehicles we are not allowed to have. Mitsubishi, Nissan Patrols, Toyota 70/80's/troop carriers, and on and on.
Im not talking about any specific brand or size of diesel but yes this site is worldwide. Here in north ameria there are plenty of diesel vehicles around some came from the factory some swapped out. But if it aint needed then forget it i just feel there are enough differences between gas and diesel that there should be a specific area for both to be discussed.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

If your living in a state that isnt restrictive you can pull a 4 cylinder cummins diesel out of a bobcat skidsteer or some forklifts. There are alot of grey market yanmars out there with 2 and 4 cyl naturally aspirated engines that bolt up to a few ford bellhousings. And none of these have emissions crap on em

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

There are also folks out there with jeep libertys that have diesel basically the same ym engine as the gm 2.8 duramax. Bmw, jaguar, landrover, mercedes, gm, ford, vw, mazda, nissans titan xd,and dodge all currently have diesel offering in the usa and jeep claims they will have diesel offering soon.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Im not talking about any specific brand or size of diesel but yes this site is worldwide. Here in north ameria there are plenty of diesel vehicles around some came from the factory some swapped out. But if it aint needed then forget it i just feel there are enough differences between gas and diesel that there should be a specific area for both to be discussed.
JEEP= Hellcat (gas) or Baby Cummings (diesel). Both are non CARB compliant, and both in the $15K range to swap. Both are in a niche market, for the privileged few with that type of cash hanging around. The new Range Rover, is still too new to get a feel for them. If we add cars to the mix, the market opens slightly in the USA, but most here will look for either a truck or a SUV platform of sorts with AWD or 4x4 in it. :grinning: The closest is the new again baby fiat diesel in the Jeeps, and I have yet to see a lot of info by users of them. Jeep people seem to be wanting ...right now, at least, more...POWER/TORQUE over slower put-put diesel offering from the OEM. Again,...........just my opinion. If there is enough interest, i am sure the moderators will open a new thread post on the subject.:laughing:

The guys/gals down under seem to have the best selection and choice when it comes to this question. :sunglasses: Heavy use off-roader's seem to prefer diesels due to better mileage numbers. and distances covered. I just used the GM/Ford brands as they offer either gas or diesel in the same body style trucks in their class.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
There are also folks out there with jeep libertys that have diesel basically the same ym engine as the gm 2.8 duramax. Bmw, jaguar, landrover, mercedes, gm, ford, vw, mazda, nissans titan xd,and dodge all currently have diesel offering in the usa and jeep claims they will have diesel offering soon.
This is true. Per your OP, i was trying to steer clear of the full-size market, where....YES, the selection of gas/diesel is easily evaluated. Driven prototype Jags $60K, Mercedes (E & S class)-$85K-120+K, Land rovers ($80-120k), all of them diesel, being tested for NA compliant studies. Never drove a BMW, different evaluation company. All very nice, and all very quiet. But none of them with the exception of the Range Rover was ever going to be seen on a fire road, or a trail. The $120k G wagon has a uncomfortable front floor pan Military heritage). Only drove the gas version. Put a AMG badge tag on it and watch that price climb. Most will be road queens, as no one is going to risk a upper 5 or 6 figure vehicle off road.:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

PS, the feel i get, is that members here really have a problem for most vehicles, when the price starts getting around 55K-60K. I know full tilt optioned pickups can now reach into the low 80's, but that also starts making many uneasy risking that investment off road. At least that is the vibe I get reading these forums......Just saying :fearscream:

PS2....G wagon base=$124,00, AMG=$147,000 (2019)

Last edited:

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

JEEP= Hellcat (gas) or Baby Cummings (diesel). Both are non CARB compliant, and both in the $15K range to swap. Both are in a niche market, for the privileged few with that type of cash hanging around. The new Range Rover, is still too new to get a feel for them. If we add cars to the mix, the market opens slightly in the USA, but most here will look for either a truck or a SUV platform of sorts with AWD or 4x4 in it. :grinning: The closest is the new again baby fiat diesel in the Jeeps, and I have yet to see a lot of info by users of them. Jeep people seem to be wanting ...right now, at least, more...POWER/TORQUE over slower put-put diesel offering from the OEM. Again,...........just my opinion. If there is enough interest, i am sure the moderators will open a new thread post on the subject.:laughing:

The guys/gals down under seem to have the best selection and choice when it comes to this question. :sunglasses: Heavy use off-roader's seem to prefer diesels due to better mileage numbers. and distances covered. I just used the GM/Ford brands as they offer either gas or diesel in the same body style trucks in their class.
I snatched up my 2017 2.8 duramax colorado as soon as they came out because i wanted a diesel with good gas mileage and i had been watching what the australians were doing with their holden colorados. I agree with them diesel is the cats meow offroad the torque a diesel offers is where they really shine.

Reactions: Desert Runner