Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

There is the thread about regretting selling a rig. But have you ever had the opportunity to buy that perfect rig you always wanted and you couldn't get it at that time for whatever reason?

I kind of have that right now, been looking at cruisers for so long and there is this one for sale that I badly want but I just can’t right now. Need a few weeks / month to work some stuff out before I can go buy a rig. I’ll be heartbroken if it is sold by then xD

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I've had this happen a few times, but one stands out. I had just purchased my first jeep, a '89 YJ with 60000 rounds on it. Something like 3 weeks later I ran into a 1975 bronco, fresh paint, 302, four speed ... beautiful rig. For $500 less than I paid for the YJ. I didn't have the cash, and trying to sell the jeep quick wasn't an option. I ended up wheeling the wee out of that YJ though. I never would have taken that bronco the places that jeep went. So, I guess it was for the best. But I still look back and wish the bronco was in the garage!

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

I had the opportunity to pick up a beautiful Volvo c303 (very similar to attached pics but light grey) and didn't jump on it. It haunts me.

The only other vehicle I should have snatched up but didn't (I'm usually very impulsive) is a very low mileage 1988 Mitsubishi Starion ESI-R. *kicks dirt*

Reactions: Captain Chaos

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

I kind of have that right now, been looking at cruisers for so long and there is this one for sale that I badly want but I just can’t right now. Need a few weeks / month to work some stuff out before I can go buy a rig. I’ll be heartbroken if it is sold by then...
Is there a chance you can put a deposit on it to hold? I usually ask about things like that or even payment plans if it's something I really want and can't fully afford at the moment. I had a guy let me pay off a titanium mountain bike over a year once. I also let a guy buy a truck from me in installments. I kept it and didn't use it at all until it was paid off (took 16 months). Sometimes it's worth asking.

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

Is there a chance you can put a deposit on it to hold? I usually ask about things like that or even payment plans if it's something I really want and can't fully afford at the moment. I had a guy let me pay off a titanium mountain bike over a year once. I also let a guy buy a truck from me in installments. I kept it and didn't use it at all until it was paid off (took 16 months). Sometimes it's worth asking.
Wish dealers did that kinda thing.. But I'm hopefull. if the registration details are correct it has been at the dealer for a few months already. Landcruisers are damn expensive to own so they don't get bought as easy.. So hopefull that it stays there for a few weeks xD

Reactions: ASNOBODY

Momo

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

Tumwater, WA
Member #

Back in 2000 I was making a decision between a 1996 Land Rover Discovery SE7 and a 1994 Toyota Land Crusier with factory lockers. The Crusier was $3k more and had a few more miles so ended picking the Land Rover. I easily spent $3k in repairs and maintenance on the Rover in the time I owned it. I do regret not buying that Crusier.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

GoldenStateAdv

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lompoc, Ca
Member #

The one that I always think of was one rare cookie.

1993 F150 Lightning - Bondurant/Roush 1 of 5

In the early 90's Bonduarnt racing school offered a sport truck driving class. They contacted Ford and purchased 5, 1993 Lightnings and had them shipped to Roush for modication. There, they received fire surpression systems, open exhaust, roll cages, modified factory seats for 4 point harnesses, as well as several other unique- track only modifications. I located one of the five at Phoenix raceway. Unfortunately, it wasn't meant to be.

Ironhide Fx4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

VT
Member #

Had a Jeep Cherokee, built, available through a friend recently. Had to pass. My daughter was due to be born within the month.

I still want to trade my trailblazer in for something someday. Maybe the right rig will pop up in the future.

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

I had a chance to buy a fully outfitted FJ Cruiser for a great price which was at the top of my budget decided to walk, wish I didn't.

krax

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

NC
Member #

Saw a great deal on a 2nd Gen 4Runner a while back (almost 15 years ago). I was driving a Montero that was 10 years newer and couldn't justify either owning a third vehicle or giving up a newer vehicle for an older one.

A year later, the Montero threw a rod and the repair estimate was almost more than the vehicle's value. During my search for a replacement, I learned a lot about reliability as I looked around and saw '80s vintage Toyota trucks every day and rarely saw a Montero.

I drive a 5th Gen 4Runner now, but I wonder if I'd still be driving the one that got away.

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

I had the opportunity to pick up a beautiful Volvo c303 (very similar to attached pics but light grey) and didn't jump on it. It haunts me.

The only other vehicle I should have snatched up but didn't (I'm usually very impulsive) is a very low mileage 1988 Mitsubishi Starion ESI-R. *kicks dirt*

I like that you posted a photo of a norwegian C303 :D

Reactions: Momo

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

I regret not buying the Jeep my parents had a few years ago.

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 3.1 turbo diesel engine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Momo

Sortor

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Sortor
Member #

Had an chance to get a 2014 trail 4 runner in metallic blue used 25k miles for 35k or a 2013 ltz Silverado with 15k for 36k , at the time I had a pretty big trailer and a couple toys so I got the truck, sold the trailer and the toys that it was mentioned for about 6 months later due to a job change. I regret it every day. Still having a hard time finding a used trail.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using OB Talk mobile app