Rank II

Enthusiast I

Columbus, OH
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Childress
Member #

Hello all! I am outfitting my new to me Ford Raptor. I know of two popular options for the Diamondback cover; front runner and yakima. Before I pull the trigger, are there any other options I should be researching? Any help is appreciated

GhostCat

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Maricopa County, Arizona, United States
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Shapera
Member #

Having loved my Db cover for last 2 years, I, too, was looking at racks and the reviews were...less than enthusiastic. For what it's worth, I went another way and have been thankful every day. If interest I can provide more details.

I almost went with this but wasn't 100% sold it would exactly fit my Gladiator. They were very helpful over the phone so maybe you could work something out.

I then watched this video a few hundred times and connected with Greg at PakRax. Super sturdy, gas struts still open each wing fully with lots of room for inflatable kayaks, SUP, etc. under the RTT I'll mount on them.

1651544109176.png 1651544868704.png

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I used Superstrut to build my own and made it custom for how I needed it to be. I chose not to open my Diamondback cover anymore and built a bed slide using plywood and some small wheels that fit in the grooves in the bed. I've linked them below. All in all I spent around $200 and it's stronger than most racks out there, I'll try and post some pics in a bit.

Superstrut 10 ft. 14-Gauge Silver Electro-Galvanized Strut Channel ZB14HS10EG

Superstrut 10 ft. 12-Gauge Half Slotted Metal Framing Strut Channel - Silver Galvanized ZA12HS10EG

Wheels for Bed Slide

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Here's a few pics of my setup, nice thing about it is you can change it out and adapt it how you want based on what you want to hang on the rack or store on top of the Diamondback cover. By using waterproof storage containers I can now cary a lot more on camping trips using both the storage in the bed under the cover and on top of the cover. I also used the Superstrut for the rack on the roof of my truck using the Rhino Rack bases. RTT Tent Rack 1.jpgRTT Closed.jpg

Last edited:

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Great job. I would take my cheap HDX boxes and keep them in that attic space you created.

Do you just remove the whole thing for times where you need the wings to open?
I haven't had any reason for the wings to open with the bed slide. I have a 5' x 8' utility trailer for anything I can't haul on the truck. Now you could design it a different way so you could still open it with a little adjustment but I decided I didn't want to have it that way. I probably changed it 3 or 4 times before my final product, easy to do using 1/2" stainless hardware. Now I'm looking for a Camper Shell that fits my truck to give me more weather proof storage full time so I don't have to pack so much every time I want to go on a short trip.

Reactions: GhostCat