Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mandeville, LA 70471
First Name
Lance
Last Name
Scott
Member #

I am heading back to the high country next weekend and have been looking at the devils punchbowl trail. I have never done this trail but from forums and videos it looks really narrow on the shelf roads near the punchbowl...I have a 80 series Landcruiser and was wondering if the trail is wide enough to go on in the 80 series. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW

cruiserfien

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mandeville, LA 70471
First Name
Lance
Last Name
Scott
Member #

I don't yet have any first hand experience for this one, but just in case you didn't see this recently I thought you might find it interesting:

Neal, yea, I just saw this on youtube and thats what prompted the post. it looks like a pretty easy trail just narrow, was trying to get some feedback from anyone who has recently run it....I want to run it soo bad but I am a little puckered about it sitting here in New Orleans watching the videos...

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Have you tried looking at the reviews on Trailsoffroad.com? I know some of their guys were there recently.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I did that trail a few years ago and was 'disappointed' because of all the hype it gets. Was in a TJ but had a lot of room. An 80 isn't but a couple of inches wider than a TJ.

Yes, it is a dangerous road.
Yes, you need to follow the recommended direction of travel.
Yes, it is narrow... but it felt much wider than Black Bear Pass.
Yes, when in the area you must stop by the Crystal Mill!

cruiserfien

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mandeville, LA 70471
First Name
Lance
Last Name
Scott
Member #

I did that trail a few years ago and was 'disappointed' because of all the hype it gets. Was in a TJ but had a lot of room. An 80 isn't but a couple of inches wider than a TJ.

Yes, it is a dangerous road.
Yes, you need to follow the recommended direction of travel.
Yes, it is narrow... but it felt much wider than Black Bear Pass.
Yes, when in the area you must stop by the Crystal Mill!

Thanks for the input--This feedback helps as this is my thoughts from watching the youtube videos, lots of hype but if you are patient and know how to use your vehicle it doesn't look all that hard, I appreciate the feedback and it is on my list for next weekend.

cruiserfien

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mandeville, LA 70471
First Name
Lance
Last Name
Scott
Member #

I pulled my teardrop over that trail with my full width Cherokee. Internet hype.

Thanks for the feedback-- Appreciate it--It can be so easy to psych yourself out from youtube. My main apprehension is that I will be traveling with my family and do not have any other rigs with me--Just want to make sure I am not missing anything that is not doable once I enter the trail. Thanks again

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Jeep jeeep

Rank I

Contributor III

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
S
Get ahold of Bobby Nelson on the wix app screen name Xploemor, he's with trails Offroad and is currently mapping in Colorado. Great guy and a wealth of information

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
The only part I remember being tight was near the East side (Crested Butte side) where there was a shelf road near the river and there was a large boulder right in the middle. I was able to squeeze through on the mountain side instead of the stream side, but I probably only had an inch or two clearance. The stream side was wider but that was the wife's side and she gets nervous sometimes. It was only a 30-50 foot drop off. Mild by Colorado standards.