• HTML tutorial

Ramay

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

McKinney, TX
Member #

Does anyone have any experience with the Detours Off Road Hardware Tire Carrier? I'm looking at moving my spare outside of the 4Runner after I install my lift later this month. I like the idea of a receiver spare tire carrier but still need towing capabilities for my teardrop. I contacted the manufacturer and they stated that they don't carry a specific rating but you could still tow with it. One of the pics on their Facebook page appears to be an OB member, but that specific carrier does not have the hitch option. The other pic that I posted does.

If anyone has any info on these carriers that they would be willing to share, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Attachments

Reactions: Boort

FlyingFischer5

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spokane, WA
Member #

Sorry I don't have experience with the Detours tire carrier but I do have some with the Wilco Hitchgate Solo. It is a swing style not just a tilt so it is completely out of your way when getting into the rear storage. They also have a hitch spot built in so you can still tow with it. It is rated for 750lbs tongue weight and 7500lbs total trailer weight. They even have add on brackets to mount a hi-lift or Rotopaxs to it as well. I love mine and just thought I'd give you this info so you had a second option to looks at!

Hope this helps and if you need me to answer more questions about the Hitchgate let me know. I would be happy to help!

Also if you would like me to take a picture of mine let me know. I can go snap a couple for you if it would help.

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

@Ramay while I can't give any insight on the tire carrier, I will say I had a Detours "BackBone" (winch mount) on my XJ. Top notch product that I recommended many times over. They even added some custom touches (tow tabs) so I could flat tow it behind my MoHo.

Reactions: Ramay

CampWithChin

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Lexington, MA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Chin
Member #

I would think the best person to answer your question is to reach out to Detour off-road and spoke with Mark.

If you happen to see a Toyota Sequoia with their Ridgerunner carrier, that’s my rig. I can vowed on the quality of the hardware.

AdvNerd

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Austin, TX
Cool product, if you get one please share your experience. I've watched the Hitchgate go from total obscurity a few years ago to owning the market. The price on them has increased with their popularity and now it's totally crazy. I would love another more affordable option to and this might be it. Thanks for sharing!