Enthusiast I

Denmark
First Name
Tobias
Last Name
K
Hi all

Our introduction thread:

First things first: the car is a 1997 Land Cruiser HDJ80 with the 1HD-FT engine, 5 speed manual and factory electronic lockers.

So, we hadn't actually seen the car before last weekend. My brother-in-law picked it up for us, and stored it at his place.
Out first impressions were that it needed a lot of work! The Previous owner bought it from new and used as his work-vehicle (he is/was an agricultural vet).
My brother-in-law drove it to it's bi-annual inspection (MOT) and surprisingly it passed.

However, after driving it around town for a bit a few things are clear:

No locks work except for the ignition. The door-locks will not turn when you use the key, and the interior central locking button doesn't do anything. This will need to be addressed. I’ve already made a request for new locks.
The rear-diff locker doesn't work. This is no essential for our upcoming august-trip, but will need fixing at some point in the future.
The interior is in pretty bad shape. The leather seats are cracked and the foam is moldy. The carpets and roof-lining is very dirty and will need a thorough, loving hand at some point.
The rust mentioned in our intro-thread doesn't seem as bad as I had expected, but should make for a good winter-project.

We also need to do the following within the next month:

Build storage-platform in the back. Has to hold our gear, and be sturdy enough for two foam mattresses.
Mount a seat in-between the two front seats. In Denmark, we have different types of license plates (which correspond to categories of car-tax paid on the vehicle). As this car is registered as a 'Privately owned car used for the transportation of goods' (yellow plates) we are not allowed to mount seats in the back. We will mount the child-seat on the middle-seat with ISOfix's. The third seat is laying in the back.
Mount a small light bar to the front. We will eventually mount a bull bar, but as time (and money) is of the essence now, that will have to wait.
Oil-change, oil-filter, diesel-filter and just a walk-through of the vehicle to make sure that it will hold up to 2 weeks in Sweden/Norway.

I will bring the car back to our place next weekend, and start work then

A few photos.

20190707_082541.jpg20190707_082649.jpg20190707_082703.jpg20190707_082641.jpg

Last edited:

Enthusiast I

Denmark
First Name
Tobias
Last Name
K
So I pulled the door-locks out and cleaned them up. Ordered a new key with the original RFID chip in it (late-model 80 series landcruisers sold in Europe all have immobilizer)

Big difference. Next up is a thorough clean-up of the car and then getting started on the storage-platform in the back.

Before:
20190721_101920.jpg

After:

20190721_174020.jpg

In case anyone needs a guide on how to disassemble the cylinder, see the guide I wrote on another site:

Guide to cleaning locks

Last edited:

Enthusiast I

Denmark
First Name
Tobias
Last Name
K
Removed the center console to make room for the third front seat.
Looks like it will fit really well. Ordered new steel flatbar in order to re-do the mounting brackets (the third front seat was originally made for a Toyota Sportsvan).
Should arrive sometime tomorrow.
Hopefully have it done next week when I have access to required tools.

20190723_152006.jpg

Enthusiast I

Denmark
First Name
Tobias
Last Name
K
Third seat will hopefully be done tomorrow.

Got started on the storage platform. Got a lot of plans in my head, look forward to seeing how they materialize

There will be two large drawers in the back, a drawer at each rear door, and a small compartment in the middle.

20190806_151038.jpg

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Hi There,

Any update on the build?? It took me a year to build my 80 series. That included converting it from gas to diesel and automatic to manual. Took a while to find a 1HD-FT here in US.