Department of Environmental Conservation closed access to my favorite camping site.

• HTML tutorial

JSearles562

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Potsdam, NY, USA
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Searles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2SOC
I frequent this very cool place about 20 miles from my house, up into the mountain foothills. Its a fairly secluded location about 2.5 miles down a single lane dirt road that twists through the dense forest up to the site of an old boy scout camp which closed decades ago and is little more than a few traces of some concrete foundations. Its right on a small pond with a beautiful view. There's a small canoe access and gravel parking area at the end of the road and about 150 yards farther up the trail, there is a great camping location on a hill overlooking the pond under the pines. The site is classified by the DEC as a primitive camping location and they are available on a first come basis year round. We used to be able to drive right up to the camping site and park just a few yards from the fire pit on dry level ground, it was perfect, however, I went up there today to spend the afternoon and evening and I was extremely disappointed to find an official sign "NO MOTOR VEHICLES" and 3 Volkswagen sized boulders placed directly across the path right next to the canoe access. Its not a complete deal breaker because I can still haul my essential gear the 150 yards over to the camp site but it is a MAJOR bummer because I was looking into getting a RTT, and this is a place I visit a few times a month. I've been up there a few times and had to clean up after those that were there before me. Beer cans, wrappers, bottle tops, you name it, the road leading in had several ruts where it was obvious that someone had spun their tires on the dirt road. And this spring a few of the large diameter log ends that were set up around the stone fire-pit as seats were charred black. Some twit tried to burn them. The spot was being abused. At any rate, I can completely understand why the DEC would limit access, but it certainly doesn't make it less frustrating and seems to be a common theme across the country where a few people are ruining it for the rest of us.

Has anyone else had a similar experience where you live or travel to? I'd like to hear about it. IMG-4624.JPGIMG-4596.JPG

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I watched the same thing happen to texas years ago. We used to be able to drive in creeks, we used to have sand dunes to play in, and you used to be able to offroad about anywhere that wasnt private property. Now the epa took over the waterways, the sand dunes were shut down and sold to an oil tycoon, and all our private property has been sold. We are regulated to only offroad on private property or we have to go to a "offroad park" which are built for quads and side by sides on top of the cost of park entrance we have to purchace offroad vehicle stickers from the state game warden. Ive quit trying in texas all my time offroad is spent either in oklahoma or arkansas apparently there are plenty of folks in texas that are completly happy to just drive on the county dirt roads. Nowdays we do alot of trail cleanups in ouachita national forrest since thats the closest place we can offroad without paying $50 or more and i dont want it shut down. I can tell you not many folks care i cant tell you how many times ive tried getting folks to go help with cleanups only to end up doing it on my own. Id suggest going out every other weekend to your favorite spots and clean all year round so maybe they will continue to be available.

Reactions: JSearles562