Brandon GBO

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Mouton
Looking at planning a trip next month from Denver to Sand Dunes National Park. Planning on leaving mid-afternoon on a Thursday, driving down to Cripple Creek and camping in that area and then taking the section of the Enchanted Rockies Trail south to the Sand Dunes area following the map at the link below:

We are looking for possible places to camp closer to the Sand Dunes. I'm aware of the dispersed camping on Medano Creek but doubt any of those spots will be available on Friday. Any ideas or areas that we should consider?

Our tentative itinerary is below.

Thursday: Denver to Cripple Creek (Camping outside of Town)
Friday: Cripple Creek to Sand Dunes via Enchanted Rockies Trail (Looking for a place to camp, any ideas?)
Saturday: Sand Dunes National Park (Looking for a place to camp after the park)
Sunday: Head back home to Denver

Open to any feedback or recommendations.

Thank you.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Reactions: Boort

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Here's the big area at the east end of Medano Pass Rd:

Brandon GBO

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Mouton

Hey Neal - Thank you for sending this. I locked down the camp site outside of Cripple Creek. The plan is to hit the Royal Gorge on our way down to Medano Pass. Do you think that there will be enough space for me to find a place to camp off of the road to Medano Pass on a Friday afternoon?

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW

Hey Neal - Thank you for sending this. I locked down the camp site outside of Cripple Creek. The plan is to hit the Royal Gorge on our way down to Medano Pass. Do you think that there will be enough space for me to find a place to camp off of the road to Medano Pass on a Friday afternoon?

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW

Most folks will grab the campsites coming from the park end of the trail. You're much more likely to find something coming in the northeast end.

You actually enter the Preserve part of the park at the top of the pass road. Everything after that are the formal dispersed sites with fire rings and bear boxes. Everything before that is informal dispersed camping.

Every time you pass an empty site it's a gamble if you'll find something later.

Reactions: Boort

Brandon GBO

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Mouton
Most folks will grab the campsites coming from the park end of the trail. You're much more likely to find something coming in the northeast end.

You actually enter the Preserve part of the park at the top of the pass road. Everything after that are the formal dispersed sites with fire rings and bear boxes. Everything before that is informal dispersed camping.

Every time you pass an empty site it's a gamble if you'll find something later.
Incredibly helpful! The weather forecast looks like a go, so I'll start digging into the maps that you shared.

Thank you.