Denver to Grand Canyon

• HTML tutorial

Gillbrak

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Denver, CO
Member #

We’re looking to take a trip after Christmas and over New Years from Denver to the Grand Canyon. Wanting to take the most scenic and off pavement (when possible due to the weather/winter closures) path possible. We only have seven days but don’t mind driving 8+ hrs per day if need be. Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Off pavement in Colorado during that time frame is really not possible for the most part. Weather is highly unpredictable. It can be anywhere from 70f to -4of and 4 feet of snow. You are talking about parking at a trailhead and cross country skiing and snow shoeing in Colorado during this timeframe.

If you are wanting winter scenery, you can have it but offroad ... not really. Most trails are closed until June. I might suggest heading straight west from Denver on I-7o into Utah and then south through Moab. You have a higher possibility of open offroad options there. You might be able to do the White Rim Crack if you can get reservations and the weather holds. Otherwise there are a ton of one day trips available from there.

If you decide to explore Colorado, you will be pretty much limited to maintained roads only, and then beware of changing weather conditions.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Southern Utah offers some nice offroad options, but remember, even though it is desert, it snow there and can get nasty. The Southern Utah Traverse is a neat set of trails, but can get slightly technical. You will be a hundred miles from anywhere and on your own, be careful.

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

Denver to South Rim Grand Canyon - is a 12 hour trip both ways. You could go South and across southern Co, into NM. And then return via Page, Kanab, Salina, Grand Junction, into Denver. A stop at Glenwood Springs for a Soak. Extra Blankets, Extra Water, Extra Snack food. Chains, Rescue Gear. The North Rim will be closed to Snow. https://goo.gl/maps/4vccYT7pCnR2

Harry Centeno

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Colorado
12/27-1/2 most likely. We’re in a capable rig and have done a lot of Moab before so our plans are open.
nice, we plan on leaving the 16th stopping in Grand Junction for a day then Moab 3 days, Zion National park 2 days, Grand Canyon South Rim and up to Las Vegas for Christmas. It will be our first time to Moab and the trip will be a mix of camping, AirBNBs and Hoteling it in Vegas.

Kansas4runner

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Kansas
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Prater
Member #

Moab should still be nice that time of year. I go there whenever I can get there.