Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Found this on top of a Stonyfield Organic Yogurt container and thought "Dang, this is simpler than Aunt Jemima. Why haven't I tried this before?"

So I made a batch this morning. Super easy to mix and make. Nice thick batter that makes delicious fluffy pancakes.
These were a big hit with my kid and grandkid. He is famously fussy about his pancakes.

I use yogurt a lot in camp recipes in place of sour cream, so like how adding it here adds a bit of buttermilk or sourdough taste to these pancakes. We all agreed it was really tasty.

It's only 4 easy ingredients that I always have on hand in camp anyway. I like this more than keeping pre-made pancake mixes that need oil or milk and water, etc.

INGREDIENTS:
- 2 cups plain whole milk yogurt - I like the probiotic kind
- 2 cups flour (I'm going to use whole grain flour from my chuck box next time I make this)
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 eggs

PREPARATION:
- In a good-sized mixing bowl add flour and baking soda
- Make a well in the middle and add the yogurt and eggs
- Stir gently until fully combined
- Warm your griddle to medium and either lightly oil or spray with cooking spray of choice
- Spoon batter onto griddle in preferred size (1/4 cup makes 'em an easy-to-flip size) and cook around 4 mins each side.

Makes 10-12 pancakes

Add walnuts, blueberries, chopped apple, grated carrot, a little cinnamon, or just about anything you might want to the batter. OR, add to each pancake once you've dropped the batter onto the griddle but before flipping. That will allow you to customize pancakes for each diner.

I will half this recipe when solo camping, unless I want the extras for snacking later.
I'm going to experiment with this simple recipe, too, to make a thinner more-crepe like pancake to use as a wrap.

This is going to be my go-to pancake recipe for camp now, and will definitely become part of my Roaddude Food Cookbook.

4ing-pancakes_9596-1028.jpg
Yogurt, Eggs, Baking Soda, Flour (not pictured)

4ing-pancakes_9597-1028.jpg
Thick fluffy pancakes

4ing-pancakes_9600-1028.jpg
Add favorite fruit or fold it right into the batter before cooking

Last edited:

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Found this on top of a Stonyfield Organic Yogurt container and thought "Dang, this is simpler than Aunt Jemima. Why haven't I tried this before?"

So I made a batch this morning. Super easy to mix and make. Nice thick batter that makes delicious fluffy pancakes.
These were a big hit with my kid and grandkid. He is famously fussy about his pancakes.

I use yogurt a lot in camp recipes in place of sour cream, so like how adding it here adds a bit of buttermilk or sourdough taste to these pancakes. We all agreed it was really tasty.

It's only 4 easy ingredients that I always have on hand in camp anyway. I like this more than keeping pre-made pancake mixes that need oil or milk and water, etc.

INGREDIENTS:
- 2 cups plain whole milk yogurt - I like the probiotic kind
- 2 cups flour (I'm going to use whole grain flour from my chuck box next time I make this)
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 eggs

PREPARATION:
- In a good-sized mixing bowl add flour and baking soda
- Make a well in the middle and add the yogurt and eggs
- Stir gently until fully combined
- Warm your griddle to medium and either lightly oil or spray with cooking spray of choice
- Spoon batter onto griddle in preferred size (1/4 cup makes 'em easy to flip) and cook around 4 mins each side.

Makes 10-12 pancakes
Add walnuts, blueberries, chopped apple, grated carrot, a little cinnamon, or just about anything you might want to the batter, or add to each pancake once you've dropped the batter onto the griddle but before flipping. That will allow you to customize pancakes for each diner.

I will half this recipe when solo camping, unless I want the extras for snacking later.
I'm going to experiment with this simple recipe, too, to make a thinner more-crepe like pancake to use as a wrap.

This is going to be my go-to pancake recipe for camp now, and will definitely become part of my Roaddude Food Cookbook.

View attachment 140929
Yogurt, Eggs, Baking Soda, Flour (not pictured)

View attachment 140933
Thick fluffy pancakes

View attachment 140930
Add favorite fruit or fold it right into the batter before cooking

i love the nice crust you got on them...never heard of using yogurt instead of milk, definitely going to try it out. i bet thin crepe type would be great as well...probably have to add more egg to get something that thin to stay together. have you tried the whole grain flour yet? bet that would be real hearty!
aunt jemima might need to look for another job now :grinning:

Last edited:
Reactions: Road and M Rose

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

i love the nice crust you got on them...never heard of using yogurt instead of milk, definitely going to try it out. i bet thin crepe type would be great as well...probably have to add more egg to get something that thin to stay together. have you tried the whole grain flour yet? bet that would be real hearty!
aunt jemima might need to look for another job now :grinning:

I'm going to try some whole flour this weekend, maybe, along with adding a bunch of non-traditional items like grated carrot and maybe some sort of protein like bacon or sausage pieces and some nuts and raisins. Try to make a healthier and more nutritious one item meal. Sort of a Roaddude Pancake Scramble.

I was really surprised how easy, how thick of a batter, how fluffy the results, and how good these were.

Anything I can make like this that becomes a different meal by switching up what I add, that uses ingredients I already carry and eliminates a meal-specific item, is a win.

Reactions: grubworm

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Try it with Greek yogurt... you won't believe how fluffy they get! Use self rising flour and they'll almost fly away on their own!!

If you do use self rising flour, you’ll want to skip the baking soda and salt since they are already in it.

Reactions: Road

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Try it with Greek yogurt... you won't believe how fluffy they get! Use self rising flour and they'll almost fly away on their own!!

If you do use self rising flour, you’ll want to skip the baking soda and salt since they are already in it.

Great idea, @Correus. I alternate between keeping whole milk yogurt and Greek yogurt in my traveling fridge. It depends on what is available in small markets as I wander, and what I might be doing with it that week. For those interested, Greek Yogurt is usually strained another time or two when made, compared to regular yogurt, to remove the whey. As a result, it is thicker, has more protein and fat and less sugar and carbs per serving. Also tastes a bit richer as result.

Though with the flour, it's my experience--at least for my use--that baking soda as leavening agent with all-purpose flour would be the same as using self-rising flour. Minus the salt, though, which my recipe doesn't use.

For economy of space and not wanting to carry two kinds of flour, and because I already carry baking soda for other things both cooking related and not, I usually only carry all-purpose flour.

I have a blast, really, tweaking my traveling kitchen and pantry to be efficient and economical, with an eye towards keeping ingredients to a minimum but my menu wide and diverse. As result, I've taught myself more about cooking and preparation on long adventures than I ever did in a home kitchen.

Reactions: Correus

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Great idea, @Correus. I alternate between keeping whole milk yogurt and Greek yogurt in my traveling fridge. It depends on what is available in small markets as I wander, and what I might be doing with it that week. For those interested, Greek Yogurt is usually strained another time or two when made, compared to regular yogurt, to remove the whey. As a result, it is thicker, has more protein and fat and less sugar and carbs per serving. Also tastes a bit richer as result.

Though with the flour, it's my experience--at least for my use--that baking soda as leavening agent with all-purpose flour would be the same as using self-rising flour. Minus the salt, though, which my recipe doesn't use.

For economy of space and not wanting to carry two kinds of flour, and because I already carry baking soda for other things both cooking related and not, I usually only carry all-purpose flour.

I have a blast, really, tweaking my traveling kitchen and pantry to be efficient and economical, with an eye towards keeping ingredients to a minimum but my menu wide and diverse. As result, I've taught myself more about cooking and preparation on long adventures than I ever did in a home kitchen.

Here's an extra tip for the Greek yogurt. In some areas it can be pricey compared to the typical kind. Any yogurt can be made into Greek, all you have to do is place it in a yogurt strainer over night. Those things sell for a couple of bucks. For traveling though, the small, sealed containers work great and are premeasured.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I picked up the yogurt last night, and resupplied my Spam... tomorrow Spam, eggs, and yogurt hot cakes...
Here's an extra tip for the Greek yogurt. In some areas it can be pricey compared to the typical kind. Any yogurt can be made into Greek, all you have to do is place it in a yogurt strainer over night. Those things sell for a couple of bucks. For traveling though, the small, sealed containers work great and are premeasured.

I'll be damned. I never really wondered about or looked (and to be honest never had the need) for yogurt strainers. I see there are all sorts out there. Some which can be used for general food straining like yogurt, cold-brew coffee, nut milks, etc. I can see that would be handy in my camp kitchen for a variety of uses. Packs a lot smaller than a metal strainer.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines

I'll be damned. I never really wondered about or looked (and to be honest never had the need) for yogurt strainers. I see there are all sorts out there. Some which can be used for general food straining like yogurt, cold-brew coffee, nut milks, etc. I can see that would be handy in my camp kitchen for a variety of uses. Packs a lot smaller than a metal strainer.

i make the greek style yogurt at home. i have an Instapot with a yogurt setting and basically I put in a gallon of milk and the yougurt setting on the pot brings it to a temp of 160 or so and after it cools down to under 100 degrees, I add a small container of greek yogurt (works the same as using a starter) stir it in and then set the pot to 'yogurt' and it does a lower heat cycle for so many hours and thats it. After the whole thing cools down, I strain it. I bought a plastic pitcher at the dollar store and drilled a few 1/8" holes in the bottom and then set a coffee filter on the bottom and add the yougurt and let it drain overnight into a glass bowl. there is probably close to a quart of clear liquid that drained and the remaining yogurt is nice and thick. so i get a little over 3 quarts of greek yogurt for the cost of a gallon of milk and a small container of yogurt as starter. so yeah, you can strain any yogurt i guess and it will thicken to the greek style consistency. i think if you keep letting it drain it becomes cream cheese or something like that. never took it that far.
BUT...living in south louisiana for the last 30 years, i would highly recommend adding some crab boil to the yogurt for that "cajun kick".

Last edited: