TxPoe

Rank 0

Contributor II

Houston, Texas
First Name
Carolyn
Last Name
Poe
Over the years I have collected dehydrated fruits for my emergency supplies. I now have a freeze dryer. Has anyone taken their dehydrated fruits and freeze dried them? If so, how did that work out. I need to preserve what I have for longer term.
Thanks.

• Wow
Reactions: Kozysnack

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
kilemi...freeze drying works so well on fresh fruits because of the water content for sublimation to occur. i did a thread on here about freeze drying if you want to read thru it. with dehydrated fruit being so low in moisture, you might have to run it on candy mode or wait until you dried a batch of something and then stick the dehydrated fruit in the dryer and add more dry time...that way you miss the deep freeze cycle which i dont think would help since there isnt much water left for the fruit to hit sublimation. i have freeze dried fruits and vegetables that turned out great and were left out and absorbed moisture and got gummy...i ran those in the dryer immediately after finishing a batch so i could dry the items without going thru the freeze cycle and that worked, but it was items that were already freeze dried, NOT dehydrated. the cell structure of the fruit is changed to the point where it probably wont work to freeze dry it.
let me know how you make out with it

Last edited:
Reactions: Kozysnack