Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Overlanding is not the same as extreme Jeeping, Mud Bogging, Rock Crawling. There is no need to even modify an overlander. Stock they are more reliable than lifted with oversize tires. I've done all those mods, now I overland in a box stock Rubicon with an AEV HighLine and 33s. I'll back up a small lift, and say a 10% increase in tire size is cool but as an overlander going bigger is just stupid. Look at the overlanders who go around the world. None of them are in extreme rigs. Anyone saying "but I can't get where I want to go" is not an overlander.

Every mod exposes a weak point, needing another mod exposing a new weak point. The factory engineers have a way bigger R&D budget than any after market supplier. Keep it close to stock. Keep it under the manufacturers GVWR. You'll never need to carry spare parts. AND you won't group yourself in with the retards driving the trail closures.

You expect respect for our "Tread Lightly. Pack Out More Than You Pack In" attitude.... You need to look the part too.

Maybe we need to better define "Overlanding"

For me,

Overlanding is seeing great vistas, meeting new cultures, being at peace with the world.
My Overlander MUST be

RELIABLE !!
Capable of getting me places without breaking.
Which defines my driving style, route choices and desire to stay stock.

COMFORTABLE
Ease of setup is number 1 for me.
Soft, DRY, Warm bed.

CAPABLE..... of TREADING LIGHTLY !!
By design it needs to not drag the undercarriage or overhangs. My route choices need are driven by this.
And it MUST get places without spinning a tire.

Add in your thoughts on how you define Overlanding.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I like to think of it as the journey to your destination. I don’t carry much tools because if something mechanical broke I would not know how to fix it anyway. Before any long journey I always bring it in the shop to have to look it over, top fluids, etc.

We are a family of 5. Our priority is getting to and from our destination safely.

I guess the journey may require you be prepared so I do have gear that I think that will help us just in case. I’m new and still need to have some overlanding adventures under my belt. Then I can come back here and update my definition.

Reactions: sabjku

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

If you really think about it , backpackers travel hundreds of miles on foot with everything they need to survive on their backs and manage to keep it in the 20-40lb range , but for some odd reason when you have a vehicle you need 300lbs of camping gear 100 lbs of food , a memory foam mattress and solar power to run all those electronics. Most people seem to be trying to set up their weekend trip rig like someone who is living out of theirs fill time .
Keep your gear as simple as possible and you will enjoy your trips more .

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

To me it is self-reliant, vehicle-dependant travel, typically long distances and to remote locations where the journey is just as important, if not more so, than the main destination. Typically it's for extended lengths of time, anywhere from weeks to months to years. It doesn't have to include crossing into foreign countries, but that definitely adds to it. While along the Journey you live out of your rig, you don't bounce from one motel, hotel, B&B or whatever you want to call it. An occasional stay at one of those places is not out of the question though. It is something for the more self-reliant adventurer to explore the world in their own personal way, and at their own pace.

IMHO it is not the "3 day holiday weekend" or "extended weekend trip", nor is it the typical "over the hills and through the woods to grandmother's house we go". It is not going to the lake, the State or National park to go camping - especially in the pre-made established camping areas, even though there is nothing wrong with taking advantage of those places at times.

Even though a HUGE part of the hobby, lifestyle, or whatever you call it, is the fitting out your vehicle for the journey - overlanding isn't about having the latest and greatest "overlanding" gadgets (don't let those out there trying to make a buck convince you that it is). It's about the journey and keeping it simple. The more gadgets you have, and the more modifications you have, the greater the chance something may go wrong with them. Don't get me wrong - some gadgets and modifications are good - such as storage, sleeping and so on. Yet we, as a throwaway society devoted to social media and the need for "likes", tend to go overboard with the latest and greatest gadgets, trends and crazed - we loose sight of the bigger picture by focusing on such trifling things.

To prove that one DOES NOT need to have a heavily modified rig, or all of the latest and greatest toys all you need to do is look to or past as well as some of those living it today.

You have the First Overland Oxford and Cambridge Far Eastern Expedition London to Singapore in 1956.

You have Barbara Toy undertaking extremel long-range overlanding expeditions - solo - in a SI Land Rover in the early 1950s.

You have John Weston and his family overlanding from Great Britain to Greece and back in a converted US built Commerce 1-ton truck with a Continental N engine in the 1920s.

For more modern examples just look at Ray Hyland and his wife, with their three sons, who retraced the First Overland Oxford and Cambridge Far Eastern Expedition in a 1954 S1 Land Rover! That's 5 people in a vehicle with a footprint not much bigger than a king size bed!

You also have "The Last Overland" expedition which will set off on Sunday, 25th August 2019. They are recreating the First Overland Oxford and Cambridge Far Eastern Expedition and one of the crew members is one of the original expedition members!

I point all of these out because they are concrete evidence that you don't need heavily modified rigs with all the latest and grates toys such as RTTs, fridges and so on. All of these rigs are basically stock with minor modifications, mainly dealing with storage. As to gear - basic camping gear, as light and small as possible.

To me, IMHO, this is "overlanding".

rgk401

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
First Name
King
Last Name
King
Member #

I don’t know exactly what to call what my partner and I do but we pick a location and go. We pack our jeeps down for camping and fishing. I did go a bit extreme with my tires “37” but I can do just about everything. I have a gazelle tent and a yeti ice chest. My partner and I and maybe another friend.If there is a river or pond nearby I’ll do some fishing,if there is a rock pile I’ll do some rock crawling. You don’t need a $2000 tent or a $1000 ice chest or hell you don’t even need big tires. Just get out and explore and turn the damn cell phone off,not everyone on Facebook,Instagram needs to know about your activities. Just be happy with what you have and thankful that your able to be outside and free!!! :-)

Travel About

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Amarillo, TX, USA
First Name
Don
Last Name
Trainer
Member #

Overlanding is not the same as extreme Jeeping, Mud Bogging, Rock Crawling. There is no need to even modify an overlander. Stock they are more reliable than lifted with oversize tires. I've done all those mods, now I overland in a box stock Rubicon with an AEV HighLine and 33s. I'll back up a small lift, and say a 10% increase in tire size is cool but as an overlander going bigger is just stupid. Look at the overlanders who go around the world. None of them are in extreme rigs. Anyone saying "but I can't get where I want to go" is not an overlander.

Every mod exposes a weak point, needing another mod exposing a new weak point. The factory engineers have a way bigger R&D budget than any after market supplier. Keep it close to stock. Keep it under the manufacturers GVWR. You'll never need to carry spare parts. AND you won't group yourself in with the retards driving the trail closures.

You expect respect for our "Tread Lightly. Pack Out More Than You Pack In" attitude.... You need to look the part too.

Maybe we need to better define "Overlanding"

For me,

Overlanding is seeing great vistas, meeting new cultures, being at peace with the world.
My Overlander MUST be

RELIABLE !!
Capable of getting me places without breaking.
Which defines my driving style, route choices and desire to stay stock.

COMFORTABLE
Ease of setup is number 1 for me.
Soft, DRY, Warm bed.

CAPABLE..... of TREADING LIGHTLY !!
By design it needs to not drag the undercarriage or overhangs. My route choices need are driven by this.
And it MUST get places without spinning a tire.

Add in your thoughts on how you define Overlanding.
I have to agree wholeheartedly!

Reactions: JayV22

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Picks up his ultralightweight backpacking pack, tosses it in the back of the truck.
Picks up his heavyweight backpacking pack, tosses it in the back of the truck.
Picks up his 55 gallon Stanley tote filled with recovery gear, chainsaw, spare alt, spare starter, spare belt, basic tools, tosses it in the back of the truck.
Tosses a fresh battery in the bed of the truck.

Tada, overlanding.

Would like to get a slide in camper for more sedate open trips. But this will do for now.

35x12.5r18 MT's help the truck keep up with the others better. Fender flares are nice for gravel roads.

Reactions: Wallygator

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Picks up his ultralightweight backpacking pack, tosses it in the back of the truck.
Picks up his heavyweight backpacking pack, tosses it in the back of the truck.
Picks up his 55 gallon Stanley tote filled with recovery gear, chainsaw, spare alt, spare starter, spare belt, basic tools, tosses it in the back of the truck.
Tosses a fresh battery in the bed of the truck.

Tada, overlanding.
NAILED IT!!!

Reactions: DoubleA_FL

DoubleA_FL

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Florida, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
DoubleA
Member #

to me Overlanding is about camping where and when I want. Does that mean sometimes I will want to "camp" in a national park or walmart parking lot? yup. tired is tired. But also does that mean I want to explore wild places and be able to camp there for weeks on end? also yes. With my main goal being to go further than an RV or large trailer can go.

I will admit, I got caught up in the hype of building an extreme 4x4 for overlanding.... but then realized that my original "ideal" overlander was a 4x4 econoline van... My ideas and wants are moving back towards that end of the spectrum. I am not quite all the way back to a 4x4 sprinter van yet, but my mostly stock disco II with a teardrop on big tires is really calling my name right now.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Maybe we need to better define "Overlanding"Add in your thoughts on how you define Overlanding.
I grew up backpacking, and I've been wheeling and off roading my entire adult life. From hard core rock crawling, to LS-powered 700+ HP sand rails, to RZRs and other SxSs etc. I've had a handful of 5th Wheel Toy Haulers, then a few different RVs (both gas and a big diesel pusher) with trailers and stackers behind them, and now I'm back in a 5'er for "those" type of trips. Our 5'er setup is reasonably sized (3/4 ton quad cab with a regular bed and a 34' 5'er) but there are still limits to where you can take a setup like that.

For me, Overlanding is a return to simplicity. Even with our pretty dialed-in setup 5'er trips are a half a day of packing up before, and a half a day to a full day of unpacking and washing everything on the other end. Those trips are awesome, and we have a few great groups we camp with. Those trips are about the toys and the group more than the location lots of times. Don't get me wrong, we do get to some amazing locations on 5'er trips, but often the focus is more the toys and the party. Overlanding, for me, is a lot more about where I'm going, vs. what I'm doing when I get there.

Anyone saying "but I can't get where I want to go" is not an overlander.
I'm sorry, but in my opinion telling people they aren't overlanders because you don't agree with them isn't overlanding (wait... did I just inadvertently try to tell somebody else they're not an overlander!?!?!!). All kidding aside, I think this type of attitude is why "traditional" 'wheelers dislike Overlanders and often pick on the "RTT crowd." Let Overlanding be whatever it is for each individual. Some are happily Overlanding in a stock Subi Impreza wagon. Some are Overlanding in a brand new JL Unlimited or Gladiator with Dana 60/80s under it and 40-42" tires. Who cares?

There is no need to even modify an overlander.
Again, I disagree and I don't think the Overlanding culture or community is about one person prescribing what is "right" or "needed" for everybody else.

I'll back up a small lift, and say a 10% increase in tire size is cool but as an overlander going bigger is just stupid.
Again, I think what is "stupid" is trying to set some rule-of-thumb or bar for an entire community. What if all a person can afford (or desires) is a 1st Gen 4Runner? Those run about a 28" tire stock. A 10% increase would put them at just a 30, or 31" if we're being generous. Will a 4Runner (with some lockers) do a lot on a 31" tire? Sure. Could it do more while leaving less of a mark on nature (less dragging) on a 33" without being "stupid". Yup.

Why point fingers and expect to impose your personal doctrine on something that is meant to free us from the rules and constraints of everyday life?

Every mod exposes a weak point, needing another mod exposing a new weak point. The factory engineers have a way bigger R&D budget than any after market supplier.
If you use the vehicle exactly as intended, I suppose I agree that generally stock is more reliable. However, most modern 4x4s aren't actually meant for how we use them in the Overland community. Further, profit-margin is always the final say for automotive manufacturers. Yes, there R&D budgets faaaaaaaar exceed even the best aftermarket firms like AEV. However, they will make cost-driven decisions (otherwise there never would have been a Dana 35 under anything, EVER).

Often, our use-cases for our vehicles expose weak points in factory designs. On my WJ, for example, take the stock axle-shafts and CVs in the Dana 30, or the TrakLok arrangement in the NV247 transfer case. On a full-size square body GM take the steering box mount as another example, even with just regular street use they will crack and eventually rip fully off the frame.

It's preposterous to assume every OEM vehicle is perfect from the factory and mods only expose weak points. Often, mods are there to address weak points.

Let me give you another example:

By design it needs to not drag the undercarriage or overhangs.
I agree. I'm 100% about Tread Lightly and don't want to drag my way down the trail, leaving a changed environment in my wake. However, WJ Jeep Grand Cherokees have a laughably low gas tank (due to Jeep moving the spare under the rear hatch floor area rather than being in the rear hatch, which moved the gas tank further down). One of my planned mods is a "tank-tuck" to remove the spare tire tub (since it won't fit a full size spare for my "stupid" planned 33"s) and relocate the gas tank at least 8" up. I'll be putting on a good aftermarket rear bumper with a tire carrier so I can run a matching spare.

I overland in a box stock Rubicon with an AEV HighLine and 33s.
I suppose this explains some of your bias. You've started with probably the most capable out-of-the-box Overlander possible, a Jeep Rubicon. 4:1 L in the t-case, front sway bar disconnect at the push of a button, 4.10s in D44s, selectable front and rear lockers, etc. Sure, you don't need many mods to Overland on what most folks would consider "difficult" trails. But not everybody can afford (or wants) a Rubi.

What about a person who goes out and gets a '86 XJ because it's what they could afford at the time, or it was a hand-me-down. That XJ would have come on a 27" tire stock and could have had a 115 HP GM-sourced V6 that is far, far, FAR from reliable along with a D30/35 combo, both with open diffs. Would that owner be stupid if they put on a 5.5" long arm and some 33" tires on it (which are a 22% increase, far outside of your allowed 10% margin)? What if they do a junk-yard 8.8 swap because they have some time and basic skills, but perhaps not a ton of cash? Now they have disc brakes and 4.10s with a LSD if they pick the right 8.8. What if they find a junkyard 4.0L with trans, computer and harness and do the swap at home? They're doing nothing but improving the reliability and function of their machine, and can do it over time money and the type of trails they tackle dictate.

Again, what if maybe a guy has a JKUR on 42"s and likes to do his Overlanding on Fordyce. Why should that bother you? I've seen jerks who don't tread lightly in everything from $300 Samurais (back in the day of the $300 Sami) to $100k+ brand new loaded Range Rovers. The machine doesn't dictate the type of driver nor their respect (or lack thereof) for nature.

You need to look the part too.
Why? And who is the ultimate arbiter of what "looks the part" and what doesn't...? Are you? Here's my group from last weekend:

Who looks the part, and who doesn't? I suppose the XJ on 35"s is "too much" for Overlanding but the bone-stock JKRubi is fine? Well guess what, we all went out, we all ran the same trails, nobody judged anybody for having too much or too little money invested in their rigs, or being "over-capable" or not "looking the part." We had an amazing time, camped on a gorgeous ridge and helped each other along the way. We left our campsite cleaner than we found it, and we were as low-impact as possible.

Anyway, I suppose my point is Overlanding is, by its very nature, defined be each and every one of us for ourselves. Overlanding will have some common threads for all of us, but it's not for any one of us to try to dictate for the rest...

-TJ

Last edited:

Lou Skannon

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Winnipeg, MB, Canada
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Skannon
"Overlanding" is taking the dirt road when you could have taken the paved.
"Overlanding" is meeting animals standing in the road and not just trying to run across it.
"Overlanding" is having the time to stop and help someone in trouble because you know cellphone coverage is poor.
"Overlanding" is about finding places that put the Wow-factor back in your life.
"Overlanding" is following in the footsteps of those that went that way before the invention of the internal combustion engine.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I grew up backpacking, and I've been wheeling and off roading my entire adult life. From hard core rock crawling, to LS-powered 700+ HP sand rails, to RZRs and other SxSs etc. I've had a handful of 5th Wheel Toy Haulers, then a few different RVs (both gas and a big diesel pusher) with trailers and stackers behind them, and now I'm back in a 5'er for "those" type of trips. Our 5'er setup is reasonably sized (3/4 ton quad cab with a regular bed and a 34' 5'er) but there are still limits to where you can take a setup like that.

For me, Overlanding is a return to simplicity. Even with our pretty dialed-in setup 5'er trips are a half a day of packing up before, and a half a day to a full day of unpacking and washing everything on the other end. Those trips are awesome, and we have a few great groups we camp with. Those trips are about the toys and the group more than the location lots of times. Don't get me wrong, we do get to some amazing locations on 5'er trips, but often the focus is more the toys and the party. Overlanding, for me, is a lot more about where I'm going, vs. what I'm doing when I get there.

I'm sorry, but in my opinion telling people they aren't overlanders because you don't agree with them isn't overlanding (wait... did I just inadvertently try to tell somebody else they're not an overlander!?!?!!). All kidding aside, I think this type of attitude is why "traditional" 'wheelers dislike Overlanders and often pick on the "RTT crowd." Let Overlanding be whatever it is for each individual. Some are happily Overlanding in a stock Subi Impreza wagon. Some are Overlanding in a brand new JL Unlimited or Gladiator with Dana 60/80s under it and 40-42" tires. Who cares?

Again, I disagree and I don't think the Overlanding culture or community is about one person prescribing what is "right" or "needed" for everybody else.

Again, I think what is "stupid" is trying to set some rule-of-thumb or bar for an entire community. What if all a person can afford (or desires) is a 1st Gen 4Runner? Those run about a 28" tire stock. A 10% increase would put them at just a 30, or 31" if we're being generous. Will a 4Runner (with some lockers) do a lot on a 31" tire? Sure. Could it do more while leaving less of a mark on nature (less dragging) on a 33" without being "stupid". Yup.

Why point fingers and expect to impose your personal doctrine on something that is meant to free us from the rules and constraints of everyday life?

If you use the vehicle exactly as intended, I suppose I agree that generally stock is more reliable. However, most modern 4x4s aren't actually meant for how we use them in the Overland community. Further, profit-margin is always the final say for automotive manufacturers. Yes, there R&D budgets faaaaaaaar exceed even the best aftermarket firms like AEV. However, they will make cost-driven decisions (otherwise there never would have been a Dana 35 under anything, EVER).

Often, our use-cases for our vehicles expose weak points in factory designs. On my WJ, for example, take the stock axle-shafts and CVs in the Dana 30, or the TrakLok arrangement in the NV247 transfer case. On a full-size square body GM take the steering box mount as another example, even with just regular street use they will crack and eventually rip fully off the frame.

It's preposterous to assume every OEM vehicle is perfect from the factory and mods only expose weak points. Often, mods are there to address weak points.

I agree. I'm 100% about Tread Lightly and don't want to drag my way down the trail, leaving a changed environment in my wake. However, WJ Jeep Grand Cherokees have a laughably low gas tank (due to Jeep moving the spare under the rear hatch floor area rather than being in the rear hatch, which moved the gas tank further down). One of my planned mods is a "tank-tuck" to remove the spare tire tub (since it won't fit a full size spare for my "stupid" planned 33"s) and relocate the gas tank at least 8" up. I'll be putting on a good aftermarket rear bumper with a tire carrier so I can run a matching spare.

I suppose this explains some of your bias. You've started with probably the most capable out-of-the-box Overlander possible, a Jeep Rubicon. 4:1 L in the t-case, front sway bar disconnect at the push of a button, 4.10s in D44s, selectable front and rear lockers, etc. Sure, you don't need many mods to Overland on what most folks would consider "difficult" trails. But not everybody can afford (or wants) a Rubi.

What about a person who goes out and gets a '86 XJ because it's what they could afford at the time, or it was a hand-me-down. That XJ would have come on a 27" tire stock and could have had a 115 HP GM-sourced V6 that is far, far, FAR from reliable along with a D30/35 combo, both with open diffs. Would that owner be stupid if they put on a 5.5" long arm and some 33" tires on it (which are a 22% increase, far outside of your allowed 10% margin)? What if they do a junk-yard 8.8 swap because they have some time and basic skills, but perhaps not a ton of cash? Now they have disc brakes and 4.10s with a LSD if they pick the right 8.8. What if they find a junkyard 4.0L with trans, computer and harness and do the swap at home? They're doing nothing but improving the reliability and function of their machine, and can do it over time money and the type of trails they tackle dictate.

Again, what if maybe a guy has a JKUR on 42"s and likes to do his Overlanding on Fordyce. Why should that bother you? I've seen jerks who don't tread lightly in everything from $300 Samurais (back in the day of the $300 Sami) to $100k+ brand new loaded Range Rovers. The machine doesn't dictate the type of driver nor their respect (or lack thereof) for nature.

Why? And who is the ultimate arbiter of what "looks the part" and what doesn't...? Are you? Here's my group from last weekend:

Who looks the part, and who doesn't? I suppose the XJ on 35"s is "too much" for Overlanding but the bone-stock JKRubi is fine? Well guess what, we all went out, we all ran the same trails, nobody judged anybody for having too much or too little money invested in their rigs, or being "over-capable" or not "looking the part." We had an amazing time, camped on a gorgeous ridge and helped each other along the way. We left our campsite cleaner than we found it, and we were as low-impact as possible.

Anyway, I suppose my point is Overlanding is, by its very nature, defined be each and every one of us for ourselves. Overlanding will have some common threads for all of us, but it's not for any one of us to try to dictate for the rest...

-TJ

-TJ
I'll start by saying @BillyBob is one of my favorite contributors to the OB forum. He's been doing this OB stuff for years and has it down pat for his situation. I don't think he intended to offend anyone here. The longer you know him, he grows on you. There is no one better to be with on the trail than someone like him. He is independent and a hard worker and very opinionated which is a important part of his excellent character. His bark is worse than his bite you will find. I have found his advise to be sound, helpful, reliable,
and opinionated to the degree of being obnoxious to some, but it is based on his many years in the outback and slightly tilted views of how things are. @BillyBob please don’t change.

Now, I think everything you said in this post
Expresses most of my own feelings and you covered it in an excellent manner. You are a very good writer IMO, and I think you are very qualified to give advise and state your opinions. I hope to see many more of your post in the coming years. You are an asset to the OB community. Thank you for this post and point of view, I appreciate your view as I believe others will also.
Roll on, Lanlubber

Reactions: zcostilla

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
"Overlanding" is taking the dirt road when you could have taken the paved.
"Overlanding" is meeting animals standing in the road and not just trying to run across it.
"Overlanding" is having the time to stop and help someone in trouble because you know cellphone coverage is poor.
"Overlanding" is about finding places that put the Wow-factor back in your life.
"Overlanding" is following in the footsteps of those that went that way before the invention of the internal combustion engine.
Simple and true. Kinda like stopping your normal hectic life to smell the roses.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I'll start by saying @BillyBob is one of my favorite contributors to the OB forum. He's been doing this OB stuff for years and has it down pat for his situation. I don't think he intended to offend anyone here. The longer you know him, he grows on you. There is no one better to be with on the trail than someone like him. He is independent and a hard worker and very opinionated which is a important part of his excellent character. His bark is worse than his bite you will find. I have found his advise to be sound, helpful, reliable,
and opinionated to the degree of being obnoxious to some, but it is based on his many years in the outback and slightly tilted views of how things are. @BillyBob please don’t change.

Now, I think everything you said in this post
Expresses most of my own feelings and you covered it in an excellent manner. You are a very good writer IMO, and I think you are very qualified to give advise and state your opinions. I hope to see many more of your post in the coming years. You are an asset to the OB community. Thank you for this post and point of view, I appreciate your view as I believe others will also.
Roll on, Lanlubber
Thanks for the kind words, and sorry if my post came off as aggressive or combative (I just reread it, and certainly can see how it would be). I meant no offense to Bob or the OB community...

...I think I just need to go camping!

-TJ

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thanks for the kind words, and sorry if my post came off as aggressive or combative (I just reread it, and certainly can see how it would be). I meant no offense to Bob or the OB community...

...I think I just need to go camping!

-TJ
LOL, Bob may be a little bruised but he is tough and knows his own mind. He would be your best friend on the road, if you can find him. He is a loner and likes it that way. He has a great little rig that is so versatile you won't believe it. Waste not want not I think is his motto.

guitodd

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Hazel Dell, Washington.
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Holzman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB7RQQ
If you really think about it , backpackers travel hundreds of miles on foot with everything they need to survive on their backs and manage to keep it in the 20-40lb range , but for some odd reason when you have a vehicle you need 300lbs of camping gear 100 lbs of food , a memory foam mattress and solar power to run all those electronics. Most people seem to be trying to set up their weekend trip rig like someone who is living out of theirs fill time .
Keep your gear as simple as possible and you will enjoy your trips more .
I agree 98%... (because I'm taking the memory foam mattress):tearsofjoy: